1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing 07 R6 forks to 08 question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by slowpoke387, Feb 20, 2010.

1. slowpoke387

slowpoke387 Well-Known Member

I'm buying a set of 08 R6 forks with a 25mm Ohlins setup for an 07 and I need to know if the triple clamps are different. I think the lower one may be different - not sure. I know they bolt in but is the offset different to compensate for the 10mm difference? If so I think the seller will hook me up with the triple if I need it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the lower tripple is different from 06-07 to 08. The clamp grabs the fork tube higher on the 08 as the clamp is straight across, rather than having "bends" that grab lower on the tubes. The result is a bit more flex in the forks.. a good thing.. helping with more "Feel" with the 08 bike. (there are other changes, a brace in the frame is taken out under the air filter, change in the swingarm, etc). Yes, the forks are also a bit longer and from the factory have more tube showing above the upper clamp.

3. slowpoke387

Ok, sounds like the 07 clamp will work as before if I raise the 08 forks up 10mm if I have to, no? So the 08 tripleclamp will go right into the 07 neck? If so then it'd be better to switch to that for better front end feel, correct? As long as it's a direct fit, i'll ask the seller to send the forks with the lower triple. The tops are the same though?

4. MELK-MAN

im pretty sure it will all fit up. i would check some part #'s on a microfiche site .

5. slowpoke387

I'll do that, thanks for the info.

6. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

I run 08 forks on my 07, they fit no problem. The extra length allows greater ride height adjustment range.

7. speculum_rj

speculum_rj Registered Abuser

But did you swap out the triples?

8. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

nope

9. MELK-MAN

uppers are the same, lowers for 08+ grab the forks higher thus allow more fork flex (good thing).

10. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

anyone know if the internals can be used from an 08 in an 07 fork? Are the tubes and sliders actually different lengths or is it just the damper rod?

11. MELK-MAN

upper tubes are longer, so i don't think you can swap internals as they would need to be longer too.