1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Championship dominance- Mladin v Shakey

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

As a domestic championship leader who is more dominant? Taking into account the number of tracks, length of season et al. Not considering that Shakey's career is still ongoing.

Shakey's stats
    https://www.devittinsurance.com/gui...sh-superbike-championships/records-and-stats/
    84 wins
    186 podiums
    6 titles

I'll let the beeb geeks sort out Mladin's career.

Then we can argue over who had tougher competition. BSB has typically been stacked with ex WSBK and GP riders more than the AMA has been.

Finally, in a bar fight who would win?

(I'm thinking Mladin is G.O.A.T. when it comes to a domestic series.)

VFR#52 likes this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You sure you aren't showing a Suzuki bias?

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Mladin
    /thread

cgordon3 and JustaNobody like this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

How? Mladin and Shakey have no peers in their category of domestic SBK Championships.

VFR#52 likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My personal choice would be Mladin, but I had more direct exposure to his racing.

6. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Miggy was always more fun to watch and interview. Although he had a shorter dominance.

VFR#52 and cha0s#242 like this.
  7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Shakey is a short skinny guy, but Fat Mladin is fat.

nitto182 likes this.
  8. How many times was Mladin battling for 8th at the midway point in a race, with everyone in the top 10 running within 0.2sec of the lap record?

IMO, the strength of the champion is always determind by the competition (that goes for all forms of racing and ball sports). And based on that, it has to be Shakey.

Mladin is one of my fav racers, and he is the one that first got me excited about racing (my first bike ever, first Liter bike, first track bike, and first race bike were all a Suzuki).

BUT, there is no way our racing compares to BSB when it comes to the depth of talent.

sbk1198 and bacolmm like this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The British Isles are like the size of the Southeast region. Mladin was National. :D

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The question was about who is/was more dominant.

The answer is in post #3. :D

cgordon3 likes this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Gixxer has an argument though. It can't just be numbers. Otherwise Josh Owens would be legit.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, then you're the idiot who formulated the question wrongly. :D

rcarson15, cha0s#242 and R Acree like this.
  13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Robby-Bobby and VFR#52 like this.
  14. But anytime someone talks about dominating, or even winning, the very first question is "who did you beat?".

Mladin wasn't racing against slouches for sure. But when you consider the fact that even the dudes battling for 15th in BSB are former (and not too long ago) WSBK riders, the level of competition can't be argued. Hell, the guy that won the WSBK championship just a few years ago cant even land on the podium in BSB.

Shakey racking up those kinds of stats, against that caliber of talent, is incredible.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Mladin hands down. So much so, the question itself is beyond silly. I think some are having a short memory with regards to how competitive and talent laden AMA Pro Racing U.S. Superbikes was back in the day. BSB couldn't hold a candle to it.

16. Because we are comparing racers from different periods, you have to compare the AMA that Mladin raced in, vs the BSB that Shakey has been and still currently races in.

The BSB might not have been as deep as the AMA was back then. But was the AMA as deep back then as the BSB is now? Back then were there WSBK Pole setters struggling to finish in the points in AMA? Did the 3-years-removed WSBK champion go an entire AMA season without being able to land on a podium?

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Rossi FTMFW

Knotcher and Steeltoe like this.
  18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Excellent point while Mladin was dominating against racers who were on the upswings of their careers and eventually going over seas and winning world championships. Shakey is racing them on the downside of their careers coming back to BSB after no longer being able to stay at the pointy end in a world series.

19. If we are defining "dominance" simply by the racer that has/had the best wins-per-races-entered ratio, then there is nothing to discuss. There is nothing to be left up to interpretation.

Simply see how many races Mladin entered, and see how many he won. Then do the same for Shakey. The one with the highest % of wins is the most dominant.

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

I'll take Doug Chandler, Miguel Duhamel, Anthony Gobert, Nicky Hayden and Ben Bostrom over those Euro weenies currently riding around in BSB any day. :D Neil Hodgsen found out real quickly just how competitive AMA was after winning his WSBK title. James Ellison as well.

cgordon3, V5 Racer, Scotty87 and 3 others like this.