1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cell Phone signal boosters

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Nov 13, 2014.

1. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Have any of you used such a device? If so what brand ?

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I have the Verizon range extender at my house since I'm between 2 large hills that seem to block cell signals fairly well. It uses my internet to connect calls, so it's as reliable as the ISP is, which in my case is really good. It's able to transfer over to a tower smoothly as I drive up the road past the hills, so I never really think about it, it just works. 5 bars on the phone now. Completely plug-n-play, although it took about 2 hours before the first connection was made for some reason.

This particular only works with Verizon phones, but that's what my wife and I have, so we're happy.

3. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Airave w/ Sprint here. Currently waiting for a new power cord, unit stopped working a couple of days ago. When it does work, it's sporadic. I called Tech Support to get the strength bumped a bit (can somehow do this remotely) and it's a bit better, but still not 100%, but as I'm being reminded now w/ a faulty power cord, it's better than making all calls from the front yard.

4. zippytech

We currently get about 2 to 3 bars of signal. Does the booster increase the signal to the cell tower or just boost the signal to the phone?

Wish we had old bag phone power...

5. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

In the case of the Airave, it boosts signal to the phone. It's basically a mini-cell tower that runs off of your broadband. It also incorporates a GPS receiver, for what I don't know. I was offered this Airave free of charge from Sprint since I'm within their area of service, yet don't get much. If this is the case for you, put a call in to your provider and see if they're as cooperative.

6. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

GPS receiver is for 911 location usage.

And it's not really boosting any signals, it's replacing the signal by using your internet connection.

There are antenna relays (boosters) that can be used to actually boost the signal. Those work well if you have an issue like your basement not getting reception, since they more move the signal than really boost it. However, if you don't get any reception like me, then you'll need a full on range-extender that uses the internet rather than cell phone towers.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  7. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

The Airave Gps is to verify that it is being used from a FCC approved location. I was forced to become an Airave expert because they suck and have only one competent tech (and two hundred trainees reading from a checklist) in the whole country. I would avoid an Airave if you can, you will need tech support often.

8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

This is what I have as well. Not only do I live in a remote-ish area, but the entire underside of my roof is lined with a radiant barrier, which is basically like a tin-foil hat for your house. Completely kills any (already weak) cell-phone signal as soon as you walk in the door.

Only downside is that it won't work when the power goes out, since it relies on the ISP. Therefore, we have a cheap land-line for emergencies.

They also charge you $200 for it, but you can talk them down to $150. But at least you own it, rather than "leasing" it like AT&T does for a similar setup.

Been with Verizon since before they were Verizon (PrimeCo), and I'll never switch. They're service is so rock-solid I'm willing to pay a premium.....

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  9. RoadRash49

RoadRash49 Well-Known Member

I work in a metal building in a fringe zone for reception. My son gave me a Metro Z-Boost. There's an antenna that mounts either in a window or outside, an inside unit with a small antenna on it. Connect the cable, plug it in. Took about 15 minutes to install. My cell phone works fine inside now, I used to have to go outside to get a signal. They are carrier specific, so if you're on Verizon you need one for Verizon signal.

10. zippytech

I have seen alot of units that take signal from the out side and repeats to the inside, but does any one make a unit that will boost a weak signal.

11. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

How did you talk them down? Did you call VZ wireless and basically complain about poor reception and ask for the range extender, balk at the price and they lowered it? On the VZ site the Samsung SCS-2U01 is $250, Im hoping to get this for my wife as she uses primarily her cell for her business, but we have crap for reception in our home.

12. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

When we bought our house, the previous owner left the Verizon range extender. They said they called Verizon and told them they were going to cancel their service and talked them into giving them the range extender for free. We haven't had good luck with it though. The thing that has made the most difference is taking one of the window screens out.

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I wonder if a screen acts as a Faraday cage?

14. zippytech

metal windows screens hurt wifi alot.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When I had Sprint, I had an Airave at work and it worked fine. However, unlike Kman's Verizon unit, the Airave drops as you leave the area and at that time there was no work around.

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Can anybody recommend some help for our shop.

Great 4gLTE signal outside the shop.

But the whole shop is a metal building with only a couple small windows.

In the winter cell service inside here sucks, and then when you do get calls it is very splotchy.

17. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

We had an Airave 2, worked great. Went from basically 0 bars to 5 bars in the house. Sprint comped it as we moved into an area with no service. We have since changed service for other reasons and the Airave is available to anyone who'll pay shipping.

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Pretty much, yea.

19. Samsung one from Verizon for me. Work got it for me and it works flawless in the year I have had it. I put my gps signal outside next one of my speakers since I was running them out there anyway.

20. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

That was my theory. Actually, I think our whole house is a faraday cage. We have foil backed foam insulation as well as foil backed drywall, with casement windows that have metal screens. We get great signal outside the house and virtually none inside. Now that I removed one screen in the main part of the house we actually have service inside.