1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBR600RR - i2m Chrome Pro2 Dash Mount / Front Wheel Speed Sensor

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Michael Bassani, Feb 6, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Michael Bassani

Michael Bassani Well-Known Member

Hey y'all,

I'm making this thread more to just spread the word in case there's anyone else that is dumb enough to put a $2300 dash and data logger on their completely analog CBR600RR.
    I got one, and wanted to add a front wheel speed sensor for calculations like wheel slip, but I could not find a bracket made by anyone for this platform to save my life.

Also, as an FYI, I'm writing this with a broken dominant wrist 4 days after surgery using primarily voice dictation, which seems to have an overt love of the Oxford comma. So if there's any strange grammar in here, blame it on Apple.

Likewise, with the wheel speed sensor. Tenkateracing makes a bracket that allows you to mount a wheel speed sensor to the fork, pinch bolts, but it seems like it was designed for a different wheel speed sensor that has a shallower mounting solution. I used it as the inspiration for my bracket.

All of this was built in designed for my 2014 CBR600RR.

I 3D printed everything out of ABS, for its mix of high thermal modulus, and UV resistance. You can use the attached .stl files to make them out of whatever you want. I tested both brackets over the course of about 50+ track sessions and didn't have any issues with either.

Here is the known good working configuration used on my bike:

2013+ MotoHolders Fairing Mount - I'm not familiar with the dash mount on previous model years, if the mount is the same, this should work for you as well. Motoholders simply replicates the OEM bolt pattern for the dash, so this may work without an aftermarket fairing mount but it's been untested.

2013+ Showa BPF Fork Lowers - the wheel speed sensor bracket uses the fork pinch bolts to locate. If the standoffs or spacing are different on previous model years, you'll need to modify the bracket spacing.

i2m Wheel Speed Sensor - this was designed for the i2m speed sensor specifically, it may work with others but you need to test this yourself

Healtech ABS Ring (ARA-D01-NS) - I tried to originally do this with an OEM ABS ring from Honda, but the resolution at 50 teeth was simply too fine for the sensor to read properly, and there were dead zones. By going to the HealTech ABS ring I was able to lower the resolution enough that the sensor worked perfectly well.

i2m P&P Analog Expansion Harness - you'll need this to interface with the main harness, and the speed sensor plugs directly into it. If you're getting a chrome pro2, you might as well have this anyway since you'll need it for things like brake pressure, Suspension potentiometers, and any other analog sensors from i2m. Sure sure you could wire it up yourself, but for $93 it's really not worth anyone's time to do that

Countersunk M4x0.70 mm thread, 10 mm Long (McMaster-Carr PN: 91294a190) - 4x needed. I ordered a pack from McMaster-Carr for $10, the dash bracket has the countersunk angle of those specific fasteners built into the model for a flush install.

Installation:

i2m Dash Bracket:

Retain the OEM dash rubber isolators, and self tapping screws.
    Transfer the rubber isolators over to the motoholders mount.
    IMG_3128.jpeg
    Fasten the dash bracket to the i2m dash using the countersunk M4 screws.
    IMG_3153 2 Large.jpeg
    IMG_3154 2 Large.jpeg
    Align the standoffs on the bracket to the motoholders mount, fasten using the 3 OEM self tapping phillips head screws. Note that you may need a angled Phillips head to get the bottom screw in.

IMG_3158 2 Large.jpeg
    Plug in the dash and make sure you have enough clearance between your bodywork and the dash itself so they aren't rubbing on each other.
    IMG_3160 2 Large.jpeg

i2m Speed Sensor Bracket:

Remove the front wheel and right brake disc, the Healtech ABS ring mounts on top of disc under the mounting bolts.

IMG_0739 Large.jpeg

Flip the bracket so that the tab with the hole for the speed sensor is facing towards the back of the bike
    IMG_0741 2 Large.jpeg

Install your fork pinch bolts, depending on your printer and how much shrinkage your parts experience, you may need to add a couple thou of clearance to the holes for the pinch bolts to fit properly. It was an issue during my test prints using PLA, but the final print using ABS did not need any. A simple drill bit will do the job. I purposely have very small tolerances here, as the air forces and vibration from the suspension may cause the sensor to shift under heavier loads. The bracket has basically the bare minimum width for a 10mm shank diameter.

IMG_0740 2 Large.jpeg

Use the jam nuts to position the sensor. It has a fairly fine resolution of 0.2mm, so it may take some back-and-forth to find the ideal distance from the ABS ring. The sensor itself has a LED on it that will turn on when it detects ferrous material, so if you have steady blinking with no skips when the wheel is rotated, then you've got it aligned properly.

Let me know if you have any questions, and hopefully this is a use to someone someday

Attached Files:

2. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Great job and write up! Hope you heal up quickly!

Michael Bassani likes this.