1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cb350 vs. Cb350f

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by adotjdot, Oct 2, 2009.

1. adotjdot

adotjdot Well-Known Member

Ok, besides the obvious differences in engine configuration, what is everyone's opinion on the cb350 vs the 350f model? I know the F was only made for three years but it seems like the stock performance specs are fairly close. The F seems like it might be a bit heavier. I was thinking about putting together an F model as a vintage race bike. Mostly because I have two bikes worth of parts to work with :)

Would I be able to make it reliable/strong enough for track use and be competitive?

2. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the twin will clean it's clock... But...a race F would have 4 pipes like an old MV--that's cool:up:

3. Rocan

Rocan Well-Known Member

Twin has better aftermarket... 350f has barely none. 350f's are also getting harder to find; i say restore the 350f and race the twin.

not to mention itll cost you a lotttt more cash to race the 350f then the 350 twin.

4. adotjdot

So why do you think the twin would clean it's clock? More tunable for the track? And why do you think it would cost more to race? Lack of aftermarket and race parts?

5. hosspowerinc

hosspowerinc Well-Known Member

Look into putting a cb400f motor in the 350. They are the exact same bikes for the most part. Also there is a huge following on the SOHC Honda forum.

6. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Ontario Moto Tech used to make a bunch of trick stuff for the 400F....Yosh made pipes...The thing is at one time or another somebody somewhere has tried to make almost everything go faster...

If I recall correctly way back when you could look at the WERA rulebook cover (1985?) and see a CBX 1000 healed over....Now there's a load...I think it was an endurance bike...

That in-line four Honda is a lump, it'll spin forever and it sounds cool but it is a lump....But you know? An in line four wrung out is soulful...It sounds good...

They're wide, they're heavy, they don't crash well....but damn....they sound good...

7. hosspowerinc

hosspowerinc Well-Known Member

8. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

Yes the CB350F and CB400F are essentially the same bike. In stock form the 350F is heavier and slower than the twin. It does have tremendous potential though. Just swapping to the 400F head with its larger ports and valves makes a big difference. A fully built 350/400 four eats the twin for lunch. IMHO

9. adotjdot

Thanks for the link! Looks like a nice site.

So looks like I need to do some digging into the WERA rulebook to see what sort of mods are legal. I am assuming they cover things like engine and suspension mods, carbs, etc?

10. Just a few corrections and suggestions for you. I personally would love to see a 350F on the grid. You will limit yourself though because the 350 twin is legal for all kinds of classes. It cost money to make the 4 or twin competitive. If money is no object, build the 350F. Kevin Bidgood is in South Africa and he makes a lot of parts. His site is ttr400, thelink you were given. Also check with Kevin Mullin at 400fourstore.com. A lot of the parts will interchange. Both of those guys are friends of mine. Yoshimura only makes piston kits for these bikes and you have to buy 10 sets. If you want a donor 400 motor, I will sell you one.

Kaz Yoshima stuff is very VERY rare. The Yoshimura pipes are like gold. A 350F with proper porting, pipe and make it as light as possible should do pretty good. A 400F will do better. Good luck and pm me if you want more info on building one. I have a pretty fast 400F, but am building a better one so have done a lot of research in the last 5 years on these little 4's.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

i have a kaz pipe on my 550 streetbike. really nice pipe.

the 400's were notorious for throwing rods. every single one i have ever seen raced, in person, sooner or later put a rod through the case. last one i saw go was the carillo on johhny duponts 400 at summit with chris marshall aboard. but the thing was stupid fast.

12. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

The 400F is a six speed against the 350F five speed gearbox. You have to spin the fours to make them go so expect to do some head/valve work. Don't forget, fours have twice as many parts to buy!
    Yeah the twins don;t sound as cool, but they are available everywhere and are much simpler/cheaper to build.
    Forget what I just said, I just realized I'd be racing against you so build the four instead! :)

Mark Badger

13. Yes. That is the key...flow much oil and keep it cool my friend. I have run the same engine for 3 years with no tear downs. To make the crazy power, you have to trade off reliability a bit. My motor is 44.3 horsepower with stock rods, consistent on the dyno. Steve Spence had a 70 plus horsepower but he had to rebuild it after every or every other race. Dave Rosno spanked on it in the early 90's...but he is Super Dave right?

14. Rocan

Rocan Well-Known Member

holy crap i love that website...

anyone know one just like it for the 350 twin?

I cant help but wonder what those parts go for... no price shown on the site.

but jesus they are pretty

15. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I prefer the twin....but have to say, Hearing Brians (bigdaddy's) 400F at full song is AWSOME.....true music.:up:...I can hear ir right now, Brian chasing Royces Duc down the backstretch at Jennings:rock:

16. Thanks Charlie for the compliment. Wait until you see what I break out in Daytona next year.
    For trick parts for the 350 twin, that is easy right? Buff @ Todd Henning Racing.

Also...was sent some info from a partner in Tokyo. Yoshimura still makes and sells pipes and cams, along with the pistons for the 400F BUT they are expensive. Thepipe is about $950 before you ship it to the U.S.

17. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Well built V1 CB350's [with great riders] will lap Barber at 1:48's, stock engine CB350GP bikes are about 10 seconds slower....anyone have any 350/400 four lap times?

18. I will have some for you after Friday. All I have is my puckered ass rain times for now. Stay tuned.

19. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

I run a 350 twin and a 450 twin. They sound nice at full rpm but nothing like a howling 400 four. Brian's bike is fast and another guy in AHRMA runs one, both sound awesome when they are wide open. I have worked on many 400 fours, they are like little Swiss watches. Honda was on top of their game with those bikes.

20. adotjdot

So could I just take my 350 four motor and build on that or do you recommend swapping in a 400 motor? They are essentially the same block from what I understand.