1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB350 Suspension Help

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by rotty120us, May 12, 2011.

1. rotty120us

rotty120us Well-Known Member

I'm taking on a new project and trying to figure out what's the best suspension and wheel option for a cb350 race bike?

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Progressive or Works shocks, alittle longer than stock.

Find some 35mm forks, CB550, 750, etc.

Wheels, RTRB. WERA and AHRMA rules differ slightly, so depends where you're going.

Brakes also depend on class of bike for both sanctions.

What class do you want to run?

Good luck....more bikes is always better:up:

3. rotty120us

thanks for the response. I not really sure about the classes yet. I'd like to stay as stock as possible because I'm still learning and race up just for fun.

4. CharlieY

Pick a class before you do anything drastic....read both rulebooks.

The stock options are generally summarized like this:

WERA 350 GP: Generally, a racebike with a stock motor.

AHRMA LWT Production: A streetbike with numberplates, with more motor mods allowed than WERA 350GP.

The LWT bikes have run WERA 350GP....but the WERA bike would not fit the Proddy rules at all....WERA GP bikes must run AHRMA Sportsman, and they get spanked, lacking motor.

Just my opnion, and pretty general.

5. rotty120us

thanks it looks like i'll be running wera 350gp. im familiar with wera i've attended two years worth of events an have never been to an AHRMA event

6. joec

joec brace yourself

cb750ss forks. 78-81. 1" longer sliders than normal. or 550s work nice too.

7. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

Works shocks and CB550 forks with Works internals on my clunker. :up:

8. rotty120us

Thanks, will the 550 forks fit on the 350 triple trees or will I need the 550 triple tree as well

9. james walker

you'll need the trees. 550's are 35mm. i got an entire fork assembly and trees off ebay for $70. that's about what i got for the 350 front end i sold that was on the bike when i bought it. :up:

the best money you can spend (when starting out) is on suspension setup. get that set up before you spend any money on go fast motor parts. 'and don't let anybody tell ya you can't go fast on a stock motor ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  10. joec

joec brace yourself

2nd the cash on the works shocks.....some of the best money ive spent on my bike. things rides like a lincoln now. no more nearly getting tossed off the thing. it actually soaks up the bumps amazingly.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

so james......youre a fan of the works internals on the fronts eh??? ive been thinking of that..

12. james walker

Joe, I just have their dual rate springs. I tried to buy their cartridge set up but the guy at Works told me to just try the springs alone first. I did and haven't had one problem. My little CB's about as planted as anything I've ever ridden.

I would, however, still be interested in trying the cartridge setup one day just for the sake of comparison.

13. rotty120us

will the new front end bolt right up...

14. james walker

when I was building the bike, I put AllBallz bearings in the steering head. If I remember correctly, I let 'em know that I was putting a 550 front end on a 350 and they sent some shims along with it. My memory started going as soon as i started hangin' with these old farts, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it should bolt right up. :)

15. joec

joec brace yourself

it pretty much does....

hmmm...i should give them a whirl then.

16. boogiesg

boogiesg Well-Known Member

Exact same setup here, '78 550 front with the all ballz bearings. The chrome cap nut on top of the triple clamp didn't seem to engage enough threads with the oem bushing, so I deleted it. I'm using the stock springs in the forks and red wings in the rear. Feels solid.

17. rotty120us

Thanks fellas this really helped me. Is there anything special I need to consider with breaks and wheels?

18. CharlieY

350GP bike would be drum only. Common upgrades are CB77, CB450, or suzuki T500 (may need work)...big boy brake is a GT750, but IMO thats pretty heavy for a GP bike. On the bright side, you will NOT need anymore brake!

Get your drum chosen first, cuz spoke count may differ (some 36, some 40).

I know several guys who run just a stock CB350 drum. I did it for a year. I would get some good shoes tho....maybe vent it.

Wheels, I'm running 1.85 front....but will bump to a 2.15...and probably a 2.5 rear. Buchanons may be pricey, but they are good.

BTW....I 3rd the works shocks.

In general, buy the best of what you can afford right up front, or you will wind up buying the cheaper stuff AND the good stuff.

19. james walker

little known secret: black rims get you an extra 2hp. :)

20. boogiesg

boogiesg Well-Known Member

Brakes don't make you go any faster, they only slow you down! Seriously though, I think Vesrah brake shoes are regarded as the best compound for racing. The box is green.