1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cataract surgery

Discussion in 'General' started by David-imoddavid, Oct 21, 2017.

1. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Update: Three weeks post on the right, one week post on the left. This is the shit!!

Right tested 20/15, left 20/20 this morning. Dr figures left will check in at 20/15 when all said and done. Night vision is fantastic, I had forgotten over the years how many stars there were to see on a clear night. A couple of days prior to getting the left done, I noticed it was like there was a 10% tint over the left eye. It was most apparent when looking at something white.

Considerably more pain with the left eye. Some was likely because when he brought the laser down in contact with the eye, he hit rather hard and squashed my eye a bit. Felt almost like welder's flash, if you've ever had that...or sand/dirt in the eye. Very irritated and had a lot of tearing, fairly steady stream down my cheek. Ibuprofen helped that some. By the next day, there was hardly any discomfort at all.

I would recommend the procedure to anyone, but go to the best Dr you can find. My surgeon is rated about the best in WI and among the best in the country, he's been using the laser for over 20 yrs. In this case, you get what you pay for. Worth every penny it cost me over conventional cataract surgery...insurance views laser surgery as elective. Recovery for conventional would have cost me at least 3 weeks off work, so it would have cost me almost as much in lost wages...and the results would not have been as good. With the laser, they can correct the vision along with replacing the lens.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Congrats! You have clean windows now.

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Who did yours? Alexander?

4. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

My wife went through that a couple years ago and it's truly amazing what a difference it's made for her. My baby cataracts are still stage 1 so I've got awhile to go. Night vision is definitely compromised, can't really tell much difference any other time.

Glad to be living in an age where blindness isn't the only possibility. Dad told me I'd go blind if I kept that up but he didn't know about cataract surgery. :clap:

Funkm05 likes this.
  5. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

" I noticed it was like there was a 10% tint over the left eye. It was most apparent when looking at something white."

That was a nice surprise to me also. Pretty important to get it fixed for folks working with color - artists, photogs etc

6. OldSchlPunk

Vrabek

7. OldSchlPunk

I can't begin to tell you how hard backing into spots at night or in the rain had become. I can see even the poorest of markings now.

dtalbott likes this.
  8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I actually had Vrabek typed out, then second guessed it. Lol. It is really nice to have some of the best right in our backyard here. My mom had hers done by Vrabek, too. Really happy with the results, as well.

9. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

What do the call the laser surgery now?
    When I had it in 85 it was a YAG.
    Just curious if still using the same method