1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carpel tunnel surgery.

Discussion in 'General' started by Bart#72, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Bart#72

Bart#72 Well-Known Member

I did a search and found some that did get the surgery but what I want to know is how are the people doing a couple years after the surgery and are still racing and riding??

I have a surgery scheduled this Wednesday for my right hand and in two weeks having my left done, but am now having second thoughts on it.
    When I scheduled my appts I remember my doc telling me I should think about changing my lifestyle if I want my surgery to be a long term success.
    I ride a lot between racing, coaching trackdays, woods riding, Hare scramble racing and racing minis and I just don't want it to come back and possibly be worse than it is now.

So for those that did have the procedure done please reply and let me know how it is going.

Thanks!

2. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Had surgery on my right hand back in 01 , still everything is good.Had trouble starting with my left hand some 5 years later and didnt want to do surgery.Searched around and ended up buying the throw away hand braces (www.mycarpaltunnel.com) for like $80 .... figured I had nothing to loose but $80.For some reason they worked for me (about 5-6 weeks of using them)along with vitamin B6 ... I'm not by any means trying to sell these or push em.You can always do the surgery,may be worth a shot.

3. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

no problems with mine,was done over 18 years ago
    raced a couple of weeks later and continued to for years
    The surgeon and the quality of his work DOES matter

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I had both wrists done in 2001 and everything is still good. I spend a lot of time on my motorcycles.

5. Im glad you started this thread and i like the feedback. I have to get both of mine done also. If the feedback was negative (riding wise) from those who had it done, then i wouldnt do it. I would just deal with it.

6. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

Sent you a pm, didn't realize you were in pa. I went to dr. Demuth @ OIP in Camp Hill pa.......he's done 3 people I know with great success. Actually one of my customers had 1 hand done by another doc. & he was having a lot of pain took weeks to heal, he went to Demuth to get his other hand done & could not believe the difference between the docs.

7. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Did the left wrist in 01, did the right wrist today. I was loosing all feeling in my right hand, needless to say presented a problem racing. Did steroid shots before each weekend this season. It helped and got me thru the season. Don't put it off. Get it done and rehab ASAP. Just my two cents worth.

8. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

I fabricate a lot of metal and at the age of 29 the pain was horrendous in both hands. Had the surgery almost 4 years ago exactly.

I did both at one time. When I woke up the pain was so bad I went into shock. Thank god my girl was there to help for the next couple weeks.

I couldn't ask for more . Till this day it's like I never had it. Now I need tendonitis surgery on both hands.

9. Exact same thing i did all year. Shots in each wrist about every 6-8 weeks or so.

10. Bart#72

I'm 99% sure I will be getting it done this Wednesday.
    I just recently ran into two massage therapist that I know and they are trying to convince me not to and try wearing a brace to sleep and do therapy.
    I want a immediate fix, I've been waiting way to long.

Thanks for the feedback from the guys who got the procedure done and who are continuing to race/ride, that is the kind of feedback I was hoping to hear.

11. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

I knew I was having surgery when my hand would go to sleep on my road bicycle. Made trading really difficult this year.

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

First, let me say this. DO NOT allow a massage therapist to give you medical advice. They are not doctors and they do not know your medical situation.

Secondly, modern surgical methods are so good today that the chances of it going wrong are very remote. If you're having pain it cannot be wished away, nor can it be solved by wearing some appliance. All that does is mask the problem. Get the surgery and follow the Doctors orders on follow up care. You'll be just fine. :up::beer:

13. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Had both of mine done at the same time last year; issues I'd put up with for years (hands going numb while riding, unable to feel/modulate the brake lever) went away completely. No regrets whatsoever.

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My pinky and ring fingers always go numb when I ride motorbikes and bicycle.

Every morning when I wake up both hands are numb too.

I'm gonna need this shit eventually, but for now it doesn't bother me that much. There isn't really "pain" so to speak.

15. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Had both of mine done 5 years ago. One of the best things I ever did. Have no pain whatsoever and my pinching strength between my nosepicker and thumb has been back to normal since then.

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Has anybody here paid out of pocket for the surgery? If so, how much $$.

17. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

One VERY important thing to remember about the Carpal tunnel syndrome is that you should be very cautious about waiting an extended length of time to have it fixed. If left untreated, it can cause PERMANENT nerve damage and nothing can correct that. My older brother had it for years and just kept putting off getting it resolved. When he finally did, the damage had already been done. The surgery did improve the issue, but he never did get "back to normal" because of the permanent damage.

18. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

Mine was 8 yrs. ago. About 12,000 total, both hands. From the time they put me under to the time I woke up was 30 min. No PT and only 1 follow up visit to remove the stitches.

19. Bart#72

Well it has been just about 4 1/2 weeks for my right hand and 2 1/2 weeks for the left.
    Hands feel pretty good for the most part, not falling asleep anymore. Hand strength is still very weak though. Still going to be at least 4 more weeks before I try getting on my woods bike. I don't want to screw anything up.
    Every once in awhile when sleeping the pinky & ring finger fall asleep. I have been told that is the ulnar nerve near the elbow.

bacolmm likes this.
  20. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

IIRC, my wife's surgery took about 2-2 1/2 months before she was able to regain full use of her hand and wrist. Since then, she hasn't had ant issues what so ever. just do what the Doc says, and you'll be good to go..:D