1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caring for Parents

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Nov 15, 2013.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You're in my thoughts, Rick.

+1 to what PieMan and Metalhead's uglier twin said.

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I'm sorry Rick. May she rest in peace.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Sorry for your loss, Rick. May she rest in peace.

4. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Peace and strength to you and your wife, Rick. You and your wife don't need a pat on the back for taking good care of your mother (at least from me), but you've got one anyway.

5. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

Very sorry for your loss Rick. You did good. Here's to the awesome wife.:beer:

6. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

You are a good son. Sorry for the loss.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sorry for your loss, Rick. Hopefully she's in a better place now.

Damn rough week. Doyle's father passed away on Monday.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Damn. I didn't see that. Hey Rog, thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Sorry to hear Rick. It's tough. I remember thinking of the mixed blessing when my dad passed away from cancer.

11. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Rick,

My condolences to you and your family on the passing of your Mom.

As much as this is a release for her, it's still hard to lose your Mom. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Craig

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He hasn't posted about it.

13. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I was wondering, when you feel that you are able, would you be willing to do a post that detailed how you dealt with all the issues and concerns you had when you initially started the thread? I know that many are of the age that they will soon come to face your situation and what you learned through the experience would be of great value.
    My condolences for your loss.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Be glad to. Are there any specifics that would be helpful?

Just as an intro, the decision to move her to our house was both for her benefit and ours. We knew it would be tough and a lot of work. That was offset, at least in part, because we no longer felt guilty for missing a day visiting the Nursing Home, or leaving after a short visit. We could keep doing what we needed to do, and still check on her frequently enough to make her feel secure. She was absolutely more happy at the house than at the facility, but the level of care required would have to play into your decision.

I'll go into detail later, but it is a LOT of work and I have developed a profound appreciation for the people that deal with geriatrics and hospice.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Rick, condolences. Really glad you value the time and that your last memory is of her at peace. Hope that is comfort.

Hope Doyle can say the same. Thoughts with the two of you.

I may drive down - if so, I will chime in and see about doing lunch.

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sorry for your loss, Rick.
    Sounds like you're sure you made her last year as good as it could be, which should be a comfort.

17. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

Rick......good on you guys for stepping up.

18. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

My condolences, always tough to loose a parent.....

19. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Hearts and mind, Rick. May your Mother rest in peace.

20. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I'm going to wait a little while for you to come off the roller coaster. I've been through the death of one parent, so I know it takes a while. Perhaps in a week or so I'll get back in with some questions.