1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

carbs on an ex500

Discussion in 'General' started by tlwannab, May 8, 2002.

1. tlwannab

tlwannab Well-Known Member

Can I get 40mm carbs off a 98 zx9 to work on an ex500?
    I figure I could buy the zx9 carbs and then I'd have an extra set for the EX.Yes no maybe so?

2. Kyle602

Kyle602 Well-Known Member

I have a set of 39mm CRs that don't work very well on my stock motor EX. I was told they could work with the stock motor, but I'll wait till I get some head work done before I try them again.
    Kyle

3. exmutant1

exmutant1 Well-Known Member

You probably can, but why? if the motor is stock, stock carbs with a good jet kit will work better. If your motor has been modified, with cams or headwork, several other carbs (flatsides, cr's, etc.) will be easier to set up for the power characteristics of the new motor. There are several people on the bbs with experience doing just that. There is no real advantage to changing the carbs on a stock bike. The major problem with cv carbs is that they are set up to work with the power delivery of the bike they are meant for. Anyway, try contacting Frank Strohman, Matt Blashfield (MB motorsports), Rich Sturges (Team Charm Racing), or Andre E. (he is on the BBS, Check the Clubman rules thread for his username). Good luck.

4. WERA 591

WERA 591 Well-Known Member

Hey TL, I've got a set of 37mm CRs set up for an EX I'll make you a deal on. With the right jetting and a pipe I believe you could use these on a stock motor. If in the future you did some motor work these carbs would grow right into it with rejetting. These would give you better throttle response and control over the stock CVs.
    E-mail me direct if you are interested.
    I've got a lot of other stuff for EXs too. (all pre 1993).
    Also a race chassis based on a 1989 frame.
    Let me know if you want details.
    Dean
    (BTW, I moved up to a TLR)

5. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

I'd go with Dean's deal on the Keihin CR's. I've got a set just like them and so far they work great on my mildly unstock EX motor. You might need a different throttle system...definitely use both throttle cables when using the CR carbs....they do stick without the "push" cable.

I'd tried grafting a pair of 36mm Keihin CV's (from a ZX-10), it didn't go too good, plus reracking them to get the proper spacing is a bit of a pain...but then again I'm no carb expert.

Good luck,

Erin

6. wera688

wera688 Well-Known Member

I use 37mm CRs on my EX and they work good but it has head work. I'd stay away from those 40mm ZX9 carbs and use jet kit, k&n filter, pipe with the stock headwork and you'll be ok-just what everybody says.

Dean, do you have any canister/headers for sale. If so what kind & how much? I had to have Midas make me the header to canister pipe...it weighs a ton but I guarantee it will never bend or break! I have 96 model bike with 2000 year engine. (its really all the same stuff regardless of year I think)