1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbs 28-30mm Lectron, Smart ,Flat Slide ?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pro69ss, Nov 30, 2021.

1. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

Need some help choosing the best bang for the buck . I have a very very slow Kx 65/72cc in a Aprilia RS50 . Stock 24mm 65 carb .

Looking at 28-30 mm carbs and have used Lectrons on drag bikes with no experience on a road bike .

I see I have options from a $25 knock off which will probably be more trouble than it’s worth to $500 ++ smart Carbs .

Is the Mikuni 28 mm at 1/3 of the cost of Lectron just as effective for a slow old guy ?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

all my 2T dirtbikes have Lectrons... and I couldnt be happier. Whether its just idling through technical obstacles or lofting the front wheel... no bogs or stalls or feathering required. Keep in mind with the smart or lectrons... no jetting to fuss with.

3. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I have heard TurboBlew's story many times, and is why I purchased my Lectron for my Husqvarna WR250. I could not get it to start easy or get any bottom end throttle response from it. I tried everything! I worked with Lectron, and they were not much help. The mid range and top end was great! I definitely felt like not having a pilot circuit hurt them. I messed with that Lectron for 2 years before I put the Mikuni back on. When I put the Mikuni back on, it was like a night and day difference. The throttle response is unreal. I want to like the Lectron but I did not have good luck! My Dad and my other riding buddy had the exact same experience I did. My other riding but didn't have the hard start issue due to electric start, but he definitely complained about throttle response on a Beta 300RR.

My take away, I would run a Lectron on a 2 stroke road racer, but I would not put one on a woods bike again.

Your experience may vary.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Odd... typically when purchasing they ask for the application to match the throttle cable. My bikes are fairly "modern"... oldest is a 2018.
    My only complaint is the choke location... which isnt a big deal. If the time comes to rebuild them Ill get the remote choke option.
    Were all 3 of you using the same carb??

5. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

No they were all different carbs. The carb for my Husky was ordered specifically for it and they told me the metering rod was correct and I shouldn't be having my issues. But swapping the carb back fixes the issue so its hard to say that its a different problem. My Dads was ordered for his KDX. (He build a KDX hybrid using a kdx200 motor in a kx125 frame). My friends Beta came with the Lectron which I assume was ordered for it as well, but I do not know that for sure.

I love the idea of metering rod carbs. I don't remember if it is SmartCarb or not. but one of them has a pilot circuit and I would bet that makes a big difference. But either way, Fuel injection is taking over and I'm actually pretty excited about it.