1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

carb runs out of gas at wide open throttle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dragon, Jun 13, 2016.

1. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

I have a klx 250 with a big bore 350 kit and a keihin pumper carb on it.
    It runs well and has lots of power around town, but when I get on the highway, and try to do sustained higher rpm's, the carb will run dry and the motor will sputter.

I can pull in the clutch, and it seems the bowl refills and then I go on my way. It seems I can go approx 70 MPH, but any faster and my fuel burn exceeds the fill rate of the carb.

Before the big bore I could do about 90 highway with no issues.

Any ideas on what the problem may be? Float bowl height(I'm guessing probably not), vacuum issue?

I'm stumped. Haven't run into this type of a problem with a carb before.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Clogged/blocked/kinked float bowl vent tubes? I would check the hoses first (easiest), then pull the carb and check the float height.

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue with my SV superbike at the end of straightaways. I switched from the vacuum fuel pump to an electric fuel pump. Don't know much about a KLX, but maybe something to consider?

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Carrillo carbs?

5. duc995

duc995 Yep…

This is getting old....

6. ped

ped Banned

first make sure primary is clean. are you using an inline fuel filter? cause it might not flow enough. adjust the bowl height or put a couple steps bigger primary in it.

make sure the tanks vent hose isn't blocked creating a suction effect.

...or richin it up and see

$.02

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  7. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

If everything is in good working order, then you may need to bump up the size of the float valve.

8. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Like Ped said: Check the fuel tank cap vent. Pop the cap at the moment of failure.

9. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Partially clogged petcock