1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carb Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Skuffknee, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Skuffknee

Skuffknee Stranger in a strand land

I finally got my dust collecting 93 ZX-7 running after an extremly long sit in the garage:) . I'm tring to get it running to drive this summer to save on gas but I'm still having carb problems that plagued it before it got parked. I want to get it the carbs and make some adjustments but I not sure if that is/will fix the problem, so I thought I would ask the pros before I did anything.

History: -Had the bike for 13 yr, has a full Muzzy exh, timing adv, jet kit.

- Bike ran fine in NC,KY,TN,SC,VA, came to ATL, road for 2-3 months then went to N. GA and it started fouling out when not at W.O.T.

Here are the two problems: Bike starts and runs in a "fouled out" state. It clears up at WOT and runs good. Throttle response is slow going up and coming down after chopping the throttle.

Second problem; after chopping the throttle the bike slowly decreases in RPM's until 3000rpm. It then holds there for 5-8 sec. then quickly drops to 1000 rpms and barely idles.

I beleave that something is causing to much fuel to go thru the carbs at >85% throttle. I thought I might need to lean the needles some but will that fix my problem of "fouling" at eng start and idle? Does this sound more like a float problem? Could this be a problem with one bad carb or is it a problem with all 4 carbs not being adj'd right?

2. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

It actually sounds like a lean condition. Check the boots that hold the carbs on. They may be brittle and cracked.

As for the low end fouling, is the choke mechanism stuck on or gummed up?

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a carb vent problem to me, didn't those have them routed to the snorkels? I remember that causing some problems on the ZX-9s if they weren't routed properly.

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Move away from N. GA.

5. Skuffknee

Boots look good.

Choke is mannual and works fine (starts with choke on, as I close the choke the RPMs drop down to idle like normal)

Not sure what your talking about with the snorkels? Maybe your thinking of the 89-92 zx-7 with the tubes going thru the tank.

So it does not sound like a jetting issue?

6. dtalbott

Did the bike sit for a length of time in N. Ga. before it messed up?

Have you drained the tank and put in fresh gas?

7. Skuffknee

I live in south ATL, only went to the montains for a poker run with the GA Sportbike guys. MMmmmmm...maybe they can fix it?? or maybe I'll call the AMA..

8. Skuffknee

No, I was riding it in ATL for a couple of months, then one Sat went to n. Ga and it started acting up.

After I parked it I cleaned the carbs out with cleaner and drained the bowls. A few yrs ago I had some rust form in my tank so I cleaned and sealed it.

9. dtalbott

Is it possible there is some water in the gas?

10. Skuffknee

I drained the tank. It was off the bike for 5-6 yrs, I just put it back together this week and put in $3.47/gal 93 oct yesterday. Sooo.. no water.

11. dtalbott

Sorry. I try and look at the obvious stuff first.

12. Skuffknee

It was a thought, and those are what I'm looking for. Anyone else got a idea? I know some super carb guru out there knows whats going on before I rip it all apart and make things worse.

I'm going to ride it around the block and pull the plugs. I update later.

13. boomboom929

boomboom929 Largely unsupervised

It's your carbs, they're gummed up. In particular, your pilot jets. Remove them and clean them, you'll be good as new.

14. Skuffknee

#400- The riders that were with me when it started acting up told me that there was a strong smell of fuel when riding behind me. That leads me to think rick not lean. Also at that time, the plugs were black not white.

15. Palanon

Palanon Well-Known Member

I tend to think it may be the pilot jets. If the jet kit was installed for sea level to say 2,500 ft., the pilots may be a larger size and need to be replaced with stock. Maybe drop a notch on the needle also.

If you don't want to tear them down, try dropping the needle a notch and turning in the pilot screws a 1/4 turn and test ride.

( you probably need to take them apart and clean them real well though )

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

A blocked or pinched carb vent will cause the same symptoms, Had a ZX-9 a while back that had a dirt dobbers nest in the 1/2" vent hose that runs from the carb vents to the front of the ram air tubes that was a pain in the ass to find. Pull the carbs and clean them, make sure none of the needles are leaking, MAke sure the vent that runs from the top of the carbs to the ram air tubes is properly installed and not blocked and your problems will dissapear.

17. Skuffknee

Thanks guys, I rip them apart tomorrow if I have time and clean them up.
    What vent line are you talking about? I know that my 99 zx6 has a line like that for the ram air coming from the intakes, but I don't remember seeing anything like that on my 7.

18. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Correct. Also clean the mouse nest out of the air box.

19. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

maybe the carbs are full of Pollen?:crackup: that yellow shat is everywhere, and I'm not allowed to hose it off, because of the water restrictions!!!

20. Skuffknee

Everything in ATL is full of pollen. I had some lady giving me the wierd eye at the gas pump because I was using the window squeegy to wash my car.