1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car shield, home shield, the ads are driving me nuts, been away awhile

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Captain Morgan, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Who the fuck buys this shit, the safety security, insurance has been proven to be the biggest load of crap in the western civilization. They have managed to use every safe and secure word in the dictionary in the commercials to spread fear of possibly something going wrong. Making up a business that 99 percent of people will never use. Car insurance is mandatory and not a bad thing to have. How is there another company that double protects you from a possibility that will probably never happen in your lifetime Every time I'm back it takes about 2 days to realize that common sense has left. Lets pay a monthly fee just in case your car engine blows up or your something breaks in your home. It's called real life, things break and you fix them like 98 % of the world does. Last time I came back, rehab/ recovery was the new trend made up business, lets see whats next

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'm betting it'll be RFIDs for currency that people hide when they're shitfaced.

scottn, Phl218, R Acree and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Because people live paycheque to paycheque and can pay that monthly fee but can’t seem to save for a rainy day.

There’s a sucker born every minute ‘member?

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Not sure what you’re talking about. You mean like an extended car warranty? Most of those aren’t worth it, from an actuarial point of view.

We have mandatory car insurance laws but they’re a complete joke. In California, they haven’t updated the minimums since they introduced the law. Circa 1972. It’s 15/30 personal injury and 5 property. That shit is utterly useless. An ambulance ride and 1 night in the hospital could blow out that personal injury coverage. At least 25% of the population doesn’t have a license or insurance, 50% have the bullshit minimum and the other 25% with adequate coverage pay for the majority of settlements. It’s amazing how the Pareto principle applies to so many things in life.

I shopped a policy for a liter bike. In Los Angeles, the uninsured motorist coverage was like 3x the cost of the liability. Crazy shit. So needless to say I never bought a liter bike.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  5. SGVRider

Cheque? You some kinda furrin devil?

eggfooyoung and Phl218 like this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

And people think sailors are crazy... :rolleyes:
    We're the most sane group of humans on the planet which, coincidentally, has a surface made up of mostly water. Yet, they want to argue with those few of us that represent living with the majority of reality.
    Landlubbers...good thing for them that they stick to the sand, otherwise they'd drown when they buried their heads. :D

7. Captain Morgan

Instead of paying a fake ass company, how about put a little money away for a made up issue that will probablly never affect you or anyone you or I know. Like I said all for car insurance, accidents happen, this is American made of safety bullshit. Because normal car and motorcycle engines explode on a regular basis?

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Because of that ever increasing monthly fee.:D

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

What is this new concept you are talking about?
    Budgeting? Saving? Unheard of (amongst mouth breathers)

10. Captain Morgan

yeah time to work, I thought I had 10 grand more than I thought I had in my bank account, the teller looked at me like I was nuts to not know what is my bank account and had her print my transactions to print the report, breathed a sigh of relief when I looked at my balance, she informed me that that was 4 months ago, 18 turned to 8 felt like an idiot, laughed and told her its definitely time to work. The sad thing is I'm far from rich, just irresponsible with not many bills

11. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Selling fear is very lucrative.

Fear of not being able to afford repairs, fear of crime, fear of others, it goes on and on.

We've become allergic to fear and loss, and companies are cleaning up on selling us the cure, using fear as the closer.

It's pretty damn sad. And it's a multi-billion dollar annual business.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Captain Morgan

You seem pretty spot on, I just don't understand the people that actually watch a dumb ass commercial about something that might maybe possibly go wrong and spend money on it??? Maybe its just me?

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Because people don't have savings anymore. We've trained at least two generations now to live paycheck to paycheck, spend every dime we make, and leverage ourselves multiple times over to always have the latest and greatest material thing.

14. SGVRider

It’s not just training. Our easy highly inflationary monetary policy also penalizes savings. The CPI is a joke. They put shit like refrigerators in instead of meat, fuel, education, etc so they can fluff the numbers.

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

"insurance has been proven to be the biggest load of crap" is not true. There is plenty of insurance that makes a ton of sense. Insurance is risk mitigation you pay for and hopefully never use. Certainly there is bad insurance products (such as those in the topic line which are really just extended warranties). In general if you can self insure it is always a good idea. Of course if you are buying insurance on something like a phone and cannot self insure you need to alter your behavior instead of buying phone insurance :Pop:

SGVRider likes this.