1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

car hitch installation????

Discussion in 'General' started by tunawest, Nov 7, 2012.

1. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

Ive got a 99 corolla that I want to put a hitch on. Im not planning on really towing with it, ever, but I want a hitch mount bicycle rack, because im really not a fan of the trunk rack system.

I looked on Uhauls website, since I dont really know how to go about this, and they want like $250 to do everything. I dont wanna pay that....

Ideal situation would be to find something off craigslist that will fit, and just do it myself. Im not even going to mess with any wiring, as like I said, I will not be towing a trailer..... ever

I dont even know where to start with measuring, or if the bumper will have to be removed for install or anything....

I know its probably going to be a lot easier than Im thinking, but I just dont know what needs to be done.

Help?

2. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

buy one from u haul thats made for your car, shouldnt be more than $120.

most common issue installing on cars that arent meant for towing, is opening up existing holes to fit the bolt base in.. some cars dont require any drilling though. bolt right up.

i had to open the holes up on my civic a little bit

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Go to a junk yard and get a hitch off the specific vehicle.

You're pissing in the wind trying to fit something not made for the car. Fwiw the cost of the hitch new is around the $100.

5. Jim McDowell

Jim McDowell Hoping to pass tech

You should be able to get a draw-tite hitch or something similar from an online retailer like etrailer. Shouldn't be more than $100-$150.

I put one once on a 1995 Eclipse and it was stupid easy.

6. tunawest

yeah, I guess I could just buy one from them thats a guaranteed fit. But, Im seeing shit all over craigslist for like $40.... I just dont know exactly what size I need. Like, where exactly do I measure from?

I was looking at the car last night, and the way the frame/plastic bumper meet up is pretty tight. the frame tubing is enclosed, and there are 2 holes. One on the inside part or the frame, and one on the bottom. How the fuck am I going to get a bolt in there???

7. tunawest

Im going to run out and get pics of what im talking about.....

hold please

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Usually you're putting a nut on that side and a lot of times the hitch will come with the nut welded to a length of wire that you use to hold the nut in place while you thread the bolt into it then an open ended wrench to hold it while tightening. The Draw Tite stuff is usually really good with their instructions and set up to make the install as easy as possible.

Worst case I've used a magnet on a stick for holding nuts and such when my paws won't fit which is pretty often, just have to get creative.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Spend the money and buy one that is made for your car specifically. Don't screw around with the almost fitting bullshit.

10. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I got a hitch for my '07 Corolla this spring from Etrailer.
    Easy bolt on, instructions were perfect. I'd go with them.

11. tunawest

ok here is what im looking at....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

looks like you might have to open up one of the holes to get the bolt backing plate in there. unless the backside of the rail has an opening

13. tunawest

the frame rail is all enclosed lol.....

Maybe I will just stick to the damn trunk rack.

I need a damn pick em up truck

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just buy the right hitch. I have actually done some sawzall action on frame rails when necessary (like on yours turning the two holes into a rectangular slot).

15. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I bought a Hidden Hitch from Etrailer for an 2010 Ford Fusion and installed it myself. Took me about an hour, that's including dropping the exhaust down to get the bolts in. It had very good instructions and only cost me around $150 for everything.

Definitely get one that fits the car correctly. It will save you a lot of time.

16. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

why not a thule or yakima roof rack?

17. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Bought a Hidden hitch from etrailer for my Acura also. It anchored horizontally through the hook in the back with thick steel plates on each side and bolts/nuts connecting them. Then it had two other anchor points on each side that you could get to on the floor of the trunk.

18. tunawest

Ya know, a roof rack might not be a bad idea. How stable are they? Because i get scared having our mnt bikes bounce around on the trunk rack, and its a thule.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd think roof would be the most stable. Especially with enough self tapping screws through the roof :D

20. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

Just watch your garage door