1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Superbike

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Aug 23, 2023.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I just found out that at the last CSBK round all three podium finishers were running my Gulf Performance Plus fuel. Just wanted to crow a little. Ha. Our fuel beat out Sunoco. Woo hoo. Ha

Peter Hively and cha0s#242 like this.
  2. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

I thought CSBK was a spec fuel series.
    edit...never mind,just read the fuel regs

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Nice! Do you come up with the formulations? I've always wanted to be able to pick a fuel engineer's brain.

4. backcountryme

They changed this year. You can run Sunoco 98, Sunoco 91, or now you can run our Gulf 100 or Gulf Performance Plus. Performance plus seems to be the one that most Superbike riders are using. One rider told my Ontario rep that he had to de-tune his bike to hit the HP limit when he switched from Sonoco to us. Our fuel made too much power. Ha. I'm pretty proud. We have been winning all kinds of races this year in Canada. We have 2 Wally's with NHRA Super Comp, VRRA races, several sled victories, and now CSBK.

MrGooch, mike w and tophyr like this.
  5. backcountryme

No, the guys that do that are WAY smarter than I am. All our fuel is formulated by the same team that builds fuel for Williams F1. I am learning stuff about formulation all the time, and I understand how the specs effect an engine. But I don't know why they use the chemicals that they use just yet.

tophyr likes this.
  6. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I agree on the HP.

Felt a lot more the bike (ZX6R 2023) pull when I used it at the beginning of the year>

Well done on your product !

Might bring one down with me to Daytona this coming October and pair it with my new partnership with USA Bridgestone Tires :D:flag:

backcountryme likes this.
  7. backcountryme

Thank you. We have been working hard to get more dealers and get it available to more people. This is just our first full season having racing fuel really. We have also been selling a ton of E85 and E98 to the drifters and tuner crowd. We are a small team, but extremely proud to be with such an iconic brand like Gulf. Glad that you like our fuel and that it is working well for you. PM me your contact info and I will get you a little swag to take to Daytona with you.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  8. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Ok. So question. My kid runs a mini race truck that's powered by a lightly modified Honda GX390 (has to remain mostly stock internals and is sealed by the builder). Normally that engine is rated for 13hp. We are up near 18-19hp. We have no fuel rule. So what fuel should I try to get some extra go fast?

969 likes this.
  9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

mr12 for the win! Ski

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Pretty cool that Gulf is involved in making racing Dino juice.

11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

If of interest, some dopey dude named Robin Tuluie wrote something about the chemical soup....

12. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Thnx, info incoming :)

Fortunate won't be able to run it in March for the D200.

Was more fun when it wasn't Moto 'Murica running it.

backcountryme likes this.
  13. backcountryme

What kind of compression and RPM are you running?

14. backcountryme

Still huge in Europe. The guys that formulate our stuff are the same ones that work with Williams F1. They were with Mclaren until this year.

15. backcountryme

Yeah, I don't have a direct replacement for MR12. Our Performance Plus is close, it is a little higher octane, but a little lower on oxygen.

skidooboy likes this.
  16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

It was a poor attempt at humor for @zertrider. although mr12 probably would add hp, the downfall would be the associated costs, of the fuel, the tuning, and the maintenance to run it. your Gulf option, maybe a better solution. With all the Canadian fuel stations dropping non ethanol fuel, (when it was mandated the use of E in all grades), if your company could come up with a "rec fuel" that was easily purchased, and transported... you may have a huge market for non eth fuel opening up. glad to see you are doing well. Ski

17. zertrider

I heard someone mention something about Gulf Sport fuel while waiting to get into the track a couple of weeks ago, but don't know anything about it

18. zertrider

Yeah thought of something like MR12, but not sure it would be a good fit

19. backcountryme

I have a 93 octane fuel that has less emissions (about 90%) then pump gas, and it also can sit in a machine for up to 5 years without going bad. You can pour it into a styrofoam cup and it won't eat it. It has no ethanol either. We have started selling quite a bit to some indoor go kart tracks and classic car restoration shops. I use it (Gulf Classic) to store my bikes, and always have it in my generator. All of the bikes that run indoors at the Motorcycle Shows in Canada will be using it this coming year due to the emissions in the building. We also work with the Yamaha Youth Rider group that teaches kids how to ride bikes indoors at the shows for the same reason.

20. zertrider

We are running around 4800-5000 rpm, with compression ratio pretty low at only about 9:1