1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Superbike - Kawi significant reduction in participation

Discussion in 'General' started by KovzR6, Sep 22, 2011.

1. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

http://csbk.ca/index.php?option=com...cessful-racing&catid=69:series-press-releases

Kawi has been a long time sponsor/supporter of CSBK, and some people seem to think that with this announcement, its probably going to fold the national series.

over the past 2 years, the series has really taken a hit and been reduced. this year was a 5 weekend series with 7 races. its already at the bottom IMO.

the CSBK is no AMA sized org, but i hope they can adapt, and keep the series somewhat alive :(

2. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Now all we need is the usual chorus of people to explain how it's not really the economy that's the problem, but something else, and that if the series just does some magic thing they propose, all will be well again.

(The number one problem faced by motorcycle racing is the economy. And it's a worldwide, continuing problem.)

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Can't we blame California?

4. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

They race in Canadia?

5. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

the tracks arent the greatest (mosport aside), but yea.... LOL

6. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Combine it with the AMA, call it an international series!?!?

7. Chip

Chip Registered

Can we blame Colin Fraiser?

8. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

i also say combine AMA and Canadian series, maybe even have 1 or 2 races in Mexico

have a North American series. NAMA?

just a thought

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Add Mexico too. They have some tracks that make Nelson Ledges look like Barber.

10. brettmvh

brettmvh Member

When you get things like what they did at the end of the 2010 season and not pay any series monies out, you know they are in trouble. There really are only a handful of guys that have a chance at winning. Then those same guys go race AMA and don't exactly light the world on fire. With limited payouts, crappy tracks, noone at the races etc. eventually it will fold. I was at the Shannonville weekend. There were probably 150-200 spectators tops. It's not a big show like AMA was when i witnessed it at Mid-Ohio. Each year there is tons of speculation if there will even be a series. Eventually there won't.

11. John29

Before he got "chopped" at the end of 2009, Edmondson told me that DMG was buying the Canadian Series and that he planned to combine it with AMA Pro.

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

There are talks CSBK returns to Tremblant next year, which is certainly one of the nicest tracks in North America.
    BTW, McCormick did pretty good last year at 18 years old on a privateer Suzuki in AMA Superbike.

13. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

that actually makes sense other than the lack of facilities up here and the border hassles....oh wait it doesnt make sense

14. John29

You mean when he was riding Micheal Jordan's bike?

15. John29

Yeah, but it would have been entertaining to see the paddock reaction if they'd actually done it and announced it!

Turns out he hadn't sold his partners on the deal! But he HAD told Colin Fraser!

16. John29

For the record, Brett McCormick did a very good job in AMA Pro in 2010 and in CSB in 2011. Congrats to him! Beating Jordan Szoke on Canadian tracks is no easy task.

17. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

John.

Do you think a North American series is feasible? I bet the races in Mexico would bring huge crowds!

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

YES, at least a big portion of it.

19. John29

No, not at this time. The current situation along the border alone would make that too hard a sell at this time and providing enough security to make people willing to go and race there would cost too much money.

Several tracks both north and south of the border might also need expensive safety upgrades.

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Yes.

BTW, McCormick's getting a wildcard ride for the two last races of FIM World Superstock. I hope he does well because he's a very talented rider who corners low and is a standup guy.

http://www.cyclecanadaweb.com/articles/12871/