1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you guys help me design a rockin' race suit?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DrummerDaveB, Nov 7, 2008.

1. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

I figured I'd go to the source. . . you guys would know better than anybody. :Poke:

Im planning to design a new suit (basically an all-out race suit), and I'd like some racer feedback on what features you would like to see in a race suit.

My only restrictions are:
    1) Cowhide (I can go w/ pretty much any thickness)
    2) Armor type is what it is. I cant develop new stuff.

So here is my starting point.
    1) Lots of stretch leather - across lower back and up sides, terminating behind the shoulder for a lot of flexibility (similar to the Dainese Laguna Seca)
    2) Lots of keprotec - behind legs knees, as strip down calves, and inner thigh up to the crotch would all be keprotec. The keprotec panel in the front of the crotch would be large as well.
    3) 1 Piece of leather in the (upper)back. Fewer seams.
    4) Leather overlays over major seams in impact areas (particularly in the hip and elbow) for seam protection

Here are some things Im considering, but not sure:
    1) Calf expander zipper (not sure how many people would care about this)
    2) Neoprene cuffs for better flexibility (yet it's not very breathable)
    3) A design that allows for an optional dual zipper in front w/ keprotec on the inside to allow more flex.
    4) All brass zips (some guys dont like brass though)

So besides these things, what would you want in a suit, ideally speaking?

2. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

Sooooooo . . . no opinion at all? :confused:

3. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

calf expander zipper may be nice - i've got chicken legs tho, so it doesn't make any difference to me - maybe make it so you can wear your leathers outside of your boots ala rossi and others?

whatever you do for the cuffs - make them comfortable - i've had suits where the wrist actually flares out a bit (lots of material under my glove gauntlet) and another that constantly irritated my forearm (something internal that would jab me occasionally)

twin zippers on the chest = good idea, but tread lightly vanson came after genuine good-guy barnacle bill because they thought his twin zipper design was too close to theirs

brass zippers? i've got no opinion on that - never had a problem with the plastic ones on my previous suits

overall, you're saying a lot of the right things, imo
    1 piece leather uppers, overlays, etc....
    obviously leather quality is paramount

do you have actual photos of suits that you have made?
    customer feedback?

4. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Call Wayne or Lee at Komodo, they will design the baddest suit you will ever
    wear :up:

5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

i think he owns a suit making company based out of Pakistan

6. LittleGuyRacing

LittleGuyRacing Little Guy Racing

I read some where that the plastic/nylon zippers are actully stronger and require less maintnence than brass zippers.

I like the dual zippers in the front though, I can imagine getting in and out a lot easier.

7. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

Hmm. . . good point. I never even thought something like that might be an issue. With nearly every suit being so similar, I didnt even realize stuff like that could be copyrighted (or patented or whatever the case may be).

I do. But, I didnt mean for this thread to be a check out my company thread or for adverstising. Im genuinely looking for feedback on what people want in a suit, given a choice.

That being the case, there is a thread in the Sale area that I have - you can put my my website (in my sig) in the search and find it.

I have read they require less maint, but I havent heard they were stronger.
    Unfortunately I havent been able to find any real "data" on zipper strength - and I've looked. So all I've got is heresay - but I'd love to see data if anybody knows of any.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

1) Calf expander zipper (not sure how many people would care about this)

Interesting

2) Neoprene cuffs for better flexibility (yet it's not very breathable)

I like this

3) A design that allows for an optional dual zipper in front w/ keprotec on the inside to allow more flex.

No interest. single zipper up the middle or off center

4) All brass zips (some guys dont like brass though)

Make the zippers YKK and metal. Could care less if they're brass.

What I' d like: Neoprene collar or at least lined. kevlar thread and not nylon. Silkscreened graphics to heep the weight down. A decent liner that doesn't make you itch.

You know what, I'm interested in seeing what you have so far. sounds very interesting.

Oh, keep your knee sliders, they'll suck. I'll buy A&G anyways.

9. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Do you have a problem with them?

10. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

Regarding the Kevlar thread. . . I've heard that breaks down after a year or 2.
    Can anybody confirm?

Silkscreened graphics is a good idea. I'll have to see if I can have that kind of stuff done.

Yeah, Im trying to find a better knee puck supplier.

Here is a link to that other thread I mentioned:
    http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=178638

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  11. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

I think he meant that I wouldnt be interested in Komodo, as I have a company having leathers made in Pakistan.
    Not that he had some issue w/ Komodo.

12. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I recall BB mentioning the threats from vanson re the double zippers. I've spoken to another domestic suit manufacturer (actually, his are made in pakistan, like nearly everyone else's suits...) who asserts that Vanson's copyright/patent claims on the double zipper are spurious. He stated to me that Dainese developed the double zipper, not Vanson... YMMV.

13. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

just before i bought my komodo suit, i was told that if you had a dual front zipper the suit could not have a removable liner. not sure if this is really the case, but if it is, i'd pick the removable liner over ease of entry/exit. the single zipper up the middle looks better, anyway, IMO.

also, as much as i like my current suit, the forearm armor has a VERY thin layer of leather over it. i shredded this up in a very low speed lowside. i'm not sure if the forearm armor is a must, but if it's there then make sure the thickness of the leather over it is the same as the rest of the suit.

i like the metal zippers over plastic. one minor point - i've seen pics of your suits and i would think about changing the logo or maybe making it smaller. it's the first thing i noticed (which i realize is what you want), but not in a good way.

i've owned 3 suits and on every one the stitching around the perimeter of the knee velcro tore. i would think it would be pretty easy to double stitch these.

i really like this idea.

14. Seesm

Seesm 2 Wheels is cool!!!!

I have made my own suits a few times overseas just like the spartan...Mine are called Slide (Slide Motorsports)

They are not cheap but affordable for sure... I did it because I had to as my leather sponsors (were) flaky... I have a suit of my own (slide) and I now have a NJK set now they feel very similar in quality... But I think that Kelcey at NJK uses better leather.

I think anyway my personal slide suit is thrashed but holding up well.....

As far as designs Spartan... I have done a few designs for people with our suits and other brands... In Adobe Illustrator..if you need any help please let me know... Looks like you have some cool stuff.

15. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

What is it you dislike about the logos?

16. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

FWIW, if the dual front zipper seems a bit out of reach, I have an older A*'s suit that has an Asymmetrical front zipper THAT I LOVE! It also has a removable liner, which should be very similar to a dual front zipper.

17. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

i guess i didn't like the font and the logo just seemed a little loud. it might just be me. otherwise i like what i see, especially at that price point.

18. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

I have no "ego" when it comes to this stuff. Im not an artist.
    If you have a better logo suggestion, I'd be happy to see it.

19. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

unfortunately i'm not an artist, either. the logo is minor. it wouldn't stop me from buying the suit. it seems like you're on the right track in terms of features.

20. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

For a bad ass suit deisgn... just check out the OVO suit... it's the most famous WERA Forum suit out their.

... If I was going to design a suit, I would do the following.

1. Go to Barnacle Bill and pay him to design you the best suit in the market.
    2. Pay Barnacle Bill per suit royalty for his work.
    3. Go to Pakistan/China/Indonesia/Uzbekistan and have the suits made.
    4. Make a crash dummy out of sand bags and throw suit with sandbag dummy out of a truck onto a track at 100mph+ to check construction.
    5. Make a nice website after the product is in your hands and though customs before selling one suit.