1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can We talk Gloves

Discussion in 'General' started by Heartsofoak441, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Heartsofoak441

Heartsofoak441 Zip Tie Alley

I was in a Nasty highside about a month ago. Did some hand Damage 2 Broken Metacarpala(SP?) and three dislocated ones. My Hand Doctor asked to see my gloves. She determined that the hard knuckle protection to be the culprit. I hit the ground with such Force That the bottom edge of the Knucle armour Did all the damage.

No I was not wearing cheap gloves I was wearing HelD Phantoms.

I can NOT blame the Held Gloves for this Because They have done a great job of protecting me For two years in about 5 Crashes and I always could play guitar when I got home. Sometimes the gear does not match the crash.

My problem is the doctor said I can not where that type of Glove anymore because The armour still puts the impact in that part of the hand.

The best thing are those AXO gloves louris caparossi wears with the Little Boxing glove pillow on the back. However they dont make them for anyone but him.

Any suggestions Top level gloves That dont use hard armour on the Bck of the hand Or The knuckes.

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I LOVED my Held Kryptons... They have padding instead of a hard shell, but they still protect well - crash tested them more than a couple of times. :D

Tried the Phantoms because they looked like the proper replacement, but I have a small problem with the hard shell too - leaves bruises on the backs of my hands sometimes, and I know they're the proper size...

3. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

No Glove No Love!!!

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I think Teknic makes some with Knox crushable armor in the knuckles...not sure what model, but maybe those would work? Maybe someone who has them could comment.

5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

my old teknic speedstars had cushion under the armour, it was a fair bit too, but they were models from years ago...

6. wolf44

wolf44 Well-Known Member

I won't wear any glove with a hard shell on the knuckles. I had a friend get his hand trapped under the bike when it was sliding. It wore through the hard shell quickest and then sent shards of carbon fiber into his hand as it was sliding down the pavement. The surgery took 4-5 hours just to remove all the CF. I wear the helds with the thick padding over th knuckles. Not sure of what make it is

7. chas

chas Well-Known Member

I high sided pretty good at Barber and my gloves took a beating, but my hands didnt. Injured my wrist a little (soft tissue damage) but nothing in my hands themselves.

I was wearing the Teknic Speedstar gloves (think their 2006 model). There was no hard armor on the outside, but instead used the Knox honeycomb armor in the wrists, knuckles, etc. At first they were hard to get used to, but once broken in (one day) they were great.

Sucks that Teknic has changed their design once more to something that seems less protective.

Will be searching close-outs and eBay to get another pair to replace these with.

8. georgiadawg

georgiadawg Elbows Out

you have a doctor that is an expert in motorcycle gear and human anatomy:wow: that's astonishing

9. Heartsofoak441

Thanks for your help:clap:

10. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

also known as "a bruise".....lol....

11. Capt Home Slice

Capt Home Slice Well-Known Member

My Phantoms did the same thing. A simple lowside and I thought I had broken my hand. After some investigation I realized that the edge of the hard armor had just caused bruises. Who knows what the results would have been with another type of glove? What about Kushitani?

http://www.kushitani.com/kushitani-web/productsgloves.html

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Here Ya go.......scroll down a bit Speedstars for $59 http://stores.ebay.com/Iron-Pony-Direct-Closeouts

13. OldSlowGuy

OldSlowGuy Unregistered User

(d)DT - what were those gloves with the impact absorbing material you were showing me at Tally this spring?

14. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Those are Kobe, but they have the hard shell knuckle that he's trying to avoid. But ya, the Kobe gloges are lined oon the backs (even the fingers) with some sort of closed-cell memory foam...pretty slick.

15. nig

nig Well-Known Member

Helimot makes some.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No hard armour? Kushitani or Helimot.

17. redducman996

redducman996 must go faster

I have crashed many times in my held phantoms, barrel rolled myself, punched the concrete many times, low sided at Nelson,turn one, never once had a problem with the gloves. IT IS the only glove that I will sell at STG. I am sure there is NO glove out there will protect the way the Helds do. IMO

18. WSMC34

WSMC34 Well-Known Member

I've broken most of my metacarples on both hands and missing a knuckle on my right hand. I wear Spidi Penta's with the "silicone based shock absorbing knuckle protection system".

Personally, I prefer it over my Held's, but the Held's are my backup pair of gloves.

19. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I have the same ones and LOVE them. 4 crashes and no injuries yet and the gloves have held up great. Need to get something new for next year as these might not last another one..

20. Heartsofoak441

Anybody Know how the Tekniks Run in Size? I usally take the Held Med+ size 8 I think?