1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we have an oil thread?

Discussion in 'General' started by Repeater, Mar 28, 2020.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

These questions, and these threads, always go only one way.

You're already using Rotella T. You want confirmation that what you're doing is correct, since you're already doing it. You'll debate anyone with a contrary opinion and forget that it was the opinion of strangers on the internet, probably on this exact forum, that caused you to use Rotella T in the first place, most likely because it's less expensive.

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I use honda oil with moly but thats a dirtbike with a seperarete sump for the trans and clutch.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Slick Fiddy...

[​IMG]

/thread

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

In that case... :crackup:

Diesel oil is for slow, low-revving engines that only need ~60K PSI of boundary layer protection from their oil, like in a clapped out SV.
    Any high-strung, quick-revvin' engine should run oil providing ~90K PSI of said protection.
    Wanna know which oils those are? You're gonna hafta manage the time to find answers... :D

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Depends on the application.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

this thread is as bananas as fresh motul 300v stanks of.
    Yes its expensive... but the good news is what gets drained out of the motorbikes goes into my beater pickup truck...lol.
    So basically I get 2 oil changes out of it. I do spring for a "fresh" filter. Still waiting to use the super cool dye light to find leaks but my stuff dont leak!

If youre gona be cheap... be full strength cheap and buy the supertech by the gallon!! :D

7. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Rotella in everything except the race bike...

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yes...you should use oil in the engine...unless it's a retarded engine that fires every time the piston comes up then you put it in the gas.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

...and transmission fluid in the transmission. :D

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

When did we stop using rotella in race bikes?

11. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

this

12. joec

joec brace yourself

I think that's what the Honda owners manual says anyway

13. joec

joec brace yourself

Roller. 3/8 nap.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

When they started fooling around with the formula. It ain't the same stuff anymore. Better or not I dunno but they monkeyed around with it to meet some new whatever epa whatever.

15. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

One thing that I learned is, in some bike transmissions you have to use real recommended bike transmission oil or they will not shift right. I have had two bikes that would not shift right unless you put bike specific oil in them. Top quality motor oil of the correct weight and they would hang in gear or jump out. One was an early Swedish husky two stroke and one was an early 80s Honda four stroke. The husky wanted Belray trans oil and the Honda wanted Honda four stroke engine/trans oil. Probably other bike transmission oils would have worked as long as you follower the 2 stroke vs 4 stoke guidelines. Obviously the factories know what they are doing. In some applications the oil will have additives or heat characteristics or other things that are important for some transmissions.

I only put car/truck engine oil in something that the manufacturer says something like "use a good quality 10/30 engine oil". Otherwise I use bike specific transmission oil selected based on 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  16. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Man I hit the PBR hard last night. So no to Rottela?

17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Wet clutch? JASO oil for sure.

I usually use Mobil 1, 4T, 10-40 in my Gix.

Toe, where due you find SuperTech Motorcycle earl? It's also JASO?

18. Yep, that’s the first problem. Worldwide oil consumption for the 1st quarter of 2020 is the lowest of any quarter in history.

The 2nd problem is that Saudi refused to adhere to the latest OPEC cuts. They said “fuck it, we do what we want” and ramped up production WFO.

Then Russia was like “you won’t beat us” and they did the same.

So there has been a Saudi vs Russia oil war that has absolutely flooded the market.

Put that, with everyone staying home and China being shut down for months, and oil is down to ~$20/bbl (the lowest I’ve personally ever seen before now was in the $30’s).

I don’t know how long it’s been since oil was this low (if ever). I’d have to ask my dad. He was in the oilfield before I was born.

19. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

in my two strokes i actually use two oils blended together... 50% maxima 927 and 50% motul 800 double ester.. mixed at 25:1. been doing this for 10 years now..

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I read a story on what I believe was a reputable news site that said Canadian oil hit the equivalent of $5USD when global went below $25. They referred to "heavy" oil pricing in the story; I assume that to be crude, right?

Timing was good to fill up the heating oil tanks, but I don't like where this is headed.