1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Someone From Indiana Explain To Me ...

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Dec 4, 2020.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Why the time zone borders are like this in your state? I'll be traveling to IN via KY, and have some meetings scheduled in various places. I wanted to make sure if a site was ET or CT, so I pulled up a time zone border overlay to Google Maps.

WTF, IN???

time zones IN.jpg

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

not from Indiana, but what you talking about Willis?

upload_2020-12-4_16-8-51.gif

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I've lived here for 40 plus years. The only explanation I have ever received is that over the years INDOT, Commerce Division, and several other government entities always screwed with the dividing lines. Because Indiana falls in the middle, the state was split (sometimes in four quadrants.) So essentially what happened is that the counties said screw you, we are doing our own thing and that was that.

The majority of the counties you have listed try to stay in time with the largest city approximate to them (Louisville, Chicago, etc..) If you look at the bottom middle of the map, I lived in Tell City for several years. Every conversation started with "what time is it there" if you were traveling.

4. Hyperdyne

Yeah that map isn't accurate. That map doesn't recognize slow time.

5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

It's to stay in the time zone of Chicagoland area and Louisville Area.

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Time zones in IN are a big reason of why its windy here in MI...because Indiana Sucks. It was worse when some places observed Daylight savings and some didnt. Then only part of the year there was a time difference.

Good luck with your trip.

8. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

I live in the north central part, my wifes family is from the north west part and the time changes for an 1 and a half drive. Talk about stoopid!:confused:

9. Hyperdyne

Michigan is the reason for so many salvage yard in Indiana. So many cars rust out or have suspensions destroyed by their wonderful roads so they have a premature death. But hey, here’s a glass of water to enjoy. It was brewed in Flint.

Razr likes this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

My girlfriend said to kiss her where it stinks...so we drove to Gary. :D

YamahaRick, TurboBlew and rd400racer like this.
  11. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Indiana: home of the left lane bandit.

rd400racer likes this.
  12. Hyperdyne

Camper in the hammer lane

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You've never been to Jersey, NY or IL if think IN is bad. People in those states are so "left" I dont think they know the right lane even exists...

grasshopper, 969, R Acree and 2 others like this.
  14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I still dont know why the entire US doesn't just do a 30 min adjustment and then never do daylight savings again. Split the hour and call it good forever. One less thing to worry about when dealing with time zones for places where the boundaries get wonky.

15. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I’ve spent plenty of time swearing on the east coast. At least they drive fast.

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in SE Indiana.....I lived in 'ohio' time, but my high school was on slow time. So i would leave for school at 7, and get to school at 7. Or i would leave school at 3, and get home at 5.

The long distance calling was crazy too.....A good friend lived 2 miles away, but it was long distance to call him. I could call 60 miles away to the other side of cincinnati and that would be local.

17. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

The very west side of the state can bounce in and out of Eastern to Central time zone. For the most part it's Evansville and Gary in Central, rest is Eastern time zone.

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

We live two miles from the Wabash River in Southern Ill(s), it’s always fun when we decide to run to Vincennes at the last minute to get something from the store only to remember (too late) everything closed an hour earlier.

FTMFL...:mad:

rd400racer and YamahaRick like this.
  19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Most of the state never had to adjust their clocks till 2006.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Indiana wants me.