1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I still use this helmet?

Discussion in 'General' started by dickie doo, Jun 1, 2010.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I took a little ride at Road A on Sunday and managed to let the rumble strip meet my new Arai. I'm more upset about my helmet than my bike...

Either way, will this pass tech?
    arai 1.jpg

arai 2.jpg

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Doubtful, and even if it would is your head only worth $750?

3. dickie doo

no...

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Be thankful it isn't the carbon fiber one.

5. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

hard to tell from the pics, but is the scrapes in the fiberglass? then should not pass

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

send it to arai for an inspection?

7. If you have to ask.........

8. six6two

six6two AWD

I'm sure it will disintegrate next time you bump your head.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

just thinking...if its good after the inspection, sell it to the squids;)

but yeah probably a no go for tech...

10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

:D

11. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

That has been my understanding. I have a very similar Arai paperweight like that. I sometimes wear it on street rides since it's so much more comfortable.

On the other hand, I have another helmet that took a tumble in a gravel trap. It only has light paint scratches and passed tech every time up until it's 5yr expiration.

12. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Arai will do a free inspection if you send it to them.

13. dickie doo

Yeah, but not in time for Roebling. :(

14. 178SV

178SV now retired...

The main purpose of a helmet it to expel the energy of an impact to reduce brain trauma. The foam inside can do that once. If the foam in your helmet has been compressed, it should be replaced.

Seems to me that evaluating scratches and scrapes on a helmet is not a good measure of it's integrity. Take a belt sander to a brand new helmet, does that directly affect it's impact absorbtion potential? No.

Indirectly? Possibly. Any damage to the outer skin can make it more susceptible to failure. However, is it likely that you will ever scrape all the way through the shell and then the foam to your bare head? Probably not.

The original question though. Will it pass tech? Depends on the inspector and how deep his evaluation goes. A by the book black and white guy will see scratches in fiberglass and say no. Someone else who believes that it hasn't taken any impact may say OK.

Is it a false start if you move in the box? How do you determine intent?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We can't tell about the internal structure easily - so we look at it and the outside and err on the side of not sending riders to the hospital.

I don't care about intent with jump starts, what's that got to do with anything?

16. Former

Former Well-Known Member

Personally, if there are any visible scuff (not light scratches) damage to the outer shell in the upper area (temple, forehead, back, etc.) I won't use it again. However, anything below that I would (ie. chin, lower jaw, lower cheek, etc.) but that's just me.

17. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Just a point about how rules are followed. Do you follow the word of the law, or the intent? Since the jump start thing was such a debate last year in AMA I thought it was applicable. I like analogies.

I get your point that since you can't judge helmet internals easily, you err on the side of caution. History is full of examples of simple rules to protect the most people.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally depends on the rule. Intent is usually factored in when we're deciding the penalty portion, with a jump it's a moot point. We use common sense in the enforcement to begin with so the penalty is always a stop and go. We always tell the grid marshals to err on the side of the rider in making a call like that. The whole moving in the box when putting it in gear thing would never have been called a jump.

19. Noodlerizer

Noodlerizer Well-Known Member

I've taken an Arai to the guy at the AMA nationals in worse shape then that, he didn't say anything lol

20. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

put some stickers over it..