1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get some advice on a track bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by DBN123BIKES, Nov 22, 2022.

1. DBN123BIKES

DBN123BIKES Member

Hi Gang,

I am new to track riding, and I need some advice.

I always wanted to try the track, so I bought a 2007 SV650S for 1500 dollars to try out the track. I did my first track day last September and I loved it. I am planning to do many more next season. She is a decent bike, but I find the ergos to be pretty uncomfortable for me at 57 years of age. The bike seems to run fine. It is mostly stock. (It has a pipe and some frame sliders.)

That said I decided I would try to find a built track bike for the coming season. My hope was to find a small displacement bike (preferably a Ninja 400 or R3) that already had the suspension done for someone that is 165lbs, which is how much I weigh.

So far, I have not found anything like that. However, what I did find was a 2022 Ninja 400 ABS for 4,250 dollars with 780 miles on it. Would this be a good call? I know it will cost more money in the long run to build it up myself, but perhaps I am fine with a stock bike being that I am a beginner. (I was very slow at the one track day I did!) What do you think?

I have found track bikes with Ohlins suspension, but they always seem to be for guys that weigh 200lbs. So I have been wondering if a stock Ninja 400 will work better for me than a bike with Ohlins suspension that is intended for someone that is 40lbs heavier than me? Or....do I lack the skills to notice the difference?

I know I could fix up my SV, but I really dont like the ergos. After 20 minutes it hurts. She is kind of beat up to boot. She has been down before by the previous owner. (Maybe that is a good thing. I would not care if I dropped it.) I think I would be bummed dropping a brand new Ninja 400. However, I lean towards being cautious at my age.

I do like the fact that the Ninja would remain street legal for a bit. (I have a big parking lot where I like to practice. It would be nice to be able to rider over there. Something I could not do with an already built dedicated track bike.)

I have to make a decision very soon. I appreciate any input!

Thanks All.

2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

You can always change springs,and set up the suspension for your weight.

3. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

If your SV is in good shape keep it and mod the suspension. They are fantastic bikes.

5axis likes this.
  4. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

As a track day dude who’s got several years and 20 lbs on you, I suggest giving the SV some time. I bet you get used to it

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If your issue with the SV is the ergos, you're not going to find any better with those bikes you're looking at.

You'd want an upright (Street Triple, etc.) if that's the route you desire to go.

6. gixxerboy55

What's your height.

7. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The best advice I was given (and did not follow) was "buy the smallest displacement bike your ego will allow".
    Until you are in the fast group, learning on an underpowered bike will teach far more than parking a fast bike in each corner.

8. DBN123BIKES

DBN123BIKES Member

Thanks for all the input guys.

I am 5'10"

My SV is the one that has the clip on type of bars. It is quite a bit more bent over than the 400 or the R3. (I briefly rode a 400. Much more comfortable.) I know some SV's come with a more upright position. Mine did not. It is the S model.

9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

You can get Woodcraft clip on with a 1.5-2 inch rise maybe that will help with the issue.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've always been a fan of SV's, but if you want to race, I'm guessing there are much larger Ninja 400 classes, vs the SV classes, now-a-days? Check what the full classes are now in your area?

Also, springs can be easily changed for your skill/weight. When I first started racing, I bought a bike that was "set up" with Ohlins for my weight! What I didn't know then, was that isn't really true. The setup changes with not only weight but skill level, pace and especially the track you are at.

After you get some experience, a track side suspension setup/tuner is a great expenditure. Also Yamaha Champ school is a great investment.

5axis and mattys281-2 like this.
  11. DBN123BIKES

DBN123BIKES Member

So it feels like the consensus so far is to keep the SV.

jasonhise likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Is it setup for racing? If not, IMO the consensus is to buy a pre setup race/track bike. Clip-ons, rear sets, bodywork, etc. Way cheaper than trying to do it your self. Also the SV would probably be more fun at a track day versus the 400, since getting blitzed by 600/100's that park it in the corners can be frustrating on a little bike when doing only track days. When racing that doesn't happen so often as you are generally racing people with the same size/HP bikes.

13. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

There’s also benefits in getting it setup yourself

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  14. gixxerboy55

Yeah keep it,low bars are better for the track, you will get used to it.

15. The only viable option is to sell it and get a Panigale V4R.

johng, jasonhise, wera313 and 7 others like this.
  16. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

With white wheels

5axis, Seiko, DJ Baker and 2 others like this.
  17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Put on 40lbs of body weight for starters. You have no business coming to a club racing site with numbers like those………..:D

18. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

So, if I have read your post correctly, yo have only done one day so far on your SV? If so, i would at the very least try to do 3-4 more days before buying another bike. I'd be willing to bet with a little work on getting yourself comfortable you'd find the SV very suitable for your goals. If you have adjustable rear sets id move the pegs around. At first I always put mine as low as I could get them without my boot dragging. These days I kind of let each track dictate where my pegs are. For example, my pegs are further forward and up at tracks like Pitt-Race and and Grattan, but at Gingerman, Nelson Ledges, Blackhawk, and Road America they are set back further.

If you have adjustable clip ons, try to get them as high as you can (like having the clamp right up to the bottom of the top triple tree clamp). You can swing the bars out as far as you want (as long as you're not running your brake lever into your fairing)

Go to a track day, move stuff around, leave your tools out, go ride a session, come back change what you don't like, try again.

I have found this to be the best method.. Many times i have set my bikes ergo's up while on a stand in my garage only to have to come in after 2-3 laps in session one because its FAR from being comfortable..

19. :stupid:

No tinkerbells allowed.

britx303 likes this.
  20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

With speed will come the desire for a more "racy" riding position. I would give the sv time. I can't say that I've ever ridden a race bike/track bike that is comfortable. The position in and of itself is not inherently meant to be.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    ToofPic and Banditracer like this.