1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone school me on Chainsaw's?

Discussion in 'General' started by D-Swens, Jan 15, 2014.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

One that works.....

I prefer Husqvarna

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Oregon bars and chains FTW.

Grew up in Oregon logging country.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I heat exclusively with wood, have for the last 23 years. I own 4 saws.

A craftsman I bought 40 years ago...its crap.

A Homelight that was my dads, It's also 50 years old, it runs but is underpowered and HEAVY as hell...therefore it's crap.

A 23 year old Stihl that was GREAT until i dropped a tree on it. I fixed it and it's now my spare. I use it where there's a chance of hitting rocks, etc.

My new Stihl is a tiger....love it.

I use the chains without the extra kickback feature....be careful. I suck at sharpening chains so I keep 4 or 5. I do a light touchup before a day of cutting, then take them in for a professional sharpening after 4 or 5 days of use. Dull chains will wear you out.

Wear steel toes, safety glasses, a hard hat, leather gloves ALL the time. I'm even thinking of getting a pair of those orange nylon pants that are supposed to prevent getting your leg cut off.

4. Perlzuki

Perlzuki Well-Known Member

Drew, I heated with wood for 20 year. You can't go wrong with Stihl! If your only going to use it 3-4 times a year a used one off Clist should be ok. BTW, I have some good firewood ( red oak ) cut up in logs that you can come get !

Mark

5. Whit45

Whit45 Well-Known Member

:up:

6. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I bought a brand new Stihl farm boss 290 off Craigslist list for around $200 less than a store would charge. You can find deals on new or lightly used ones on Clist but you have to be patient.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You're asking the wrong people. Find a rapper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

I have a jonsered that I bought new back in about 1976. It starts everytime, I have cut down 26" trees with it but would recommend a bigger saw for that work, ithas never given me any issue, other than typical wearing out of the bar and chains from a 6-7 cord a year habit for 30+ years. Even though I have dropped it 25' out of a tree after a dead branch caught me on the arm as it went by, damn widow maker there.
    I have an oregon chain and bar and front sprocket (since the pitch was different) on it and it works great, actually have a few, 16" upto 22" but the bars need a feed hole drilled in them to match up to the oil feed system since Oregon didn't make a bar specific to my saw.

But a few of the guys I work with have Stihls, the big units and love them. Oh and the catch the chain pants are awesome, I personally haven't had to try them but the dealer wore them to demo them so I bought a pair.

kevinr likes this.
  9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

C5 from 1962, ~75cc of slow revving goodness. It won't spin like the newer saws but I changed the sprocket size and dropped from .404 to 3/8 so the chain moves at a good clip. Run a 28" bar on it. Only 2 bad things, one is the oiler is manual so your thumb gets a workout and the other is it weighs a ton.

[​IMG]

On old saws I also have an 031 Stihl from the seventies and an 028 from the eighties I have rebuilt a time or two. Any new saw I buy is Stihl, and yes, that includes the toys. :D

10. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Don't be stupid like me and buy some knock off brand on line that you can never get parts for.

Ended up throwing it away and bought a Stihl and was great year after year.

11. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Poulan = Keep on Pullin'

Stihl is superior to Husky in my opinion.

OPE - wtf? Like there is Indoor Power Equipment?

OP - chainsaws doesn't need to be hyphenated. Consider yourself schooled.

12. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

More than anything else, think SAFETY every second. Chainsaws are NOT idiot-proof. You can cut your arm off easier than you can cut firewood.

A couple rules my Dad used to enforce every time we used a saw (all summer every summer when I was a kid was spent cutting trails and roads on and around Okemo Mountain.):

1) Wear steel-toed boots and sturdy pants, long sleeved sturdy jacket and leather gloves every time.

2) Make sure you have solid, sure footing every time you engage the trigger. Falling on a running saw sucks. I watched my brother do it. I didn't know a scrawny 16-year-old could bleed that much.

3) Look carefully at your work piece, and be sure you understand which way it will go when you cut it. You can't "save" a screwup without damaging your chain or cutting bar.

4) Sharp is safe. Don't try to work with a dull chain. Get the guys at the OPE place to teach you how to sharpen the chain correctly. You don't need any electric machine to do it right, those are just for making the teeth short.

5) Don't drink while you are working with a chainsaw. I know it sounds pedantic, but alcohol makes you stupid(er). You really need to try to be smarter than the saw. Have all the beer after you're done.

6) Keep some condoms in your pocket. Guys with chain saws make chicks horny as hell. I guess they love the smell of fresh sawdust and 2-stroke smoke.

Braaaappppp!

13. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Ask your mom...

(sorry, but I had to go for that easy one across the plate)

14. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

[​IMG]

15. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Power Equipment = Gasoline power you fags. :D

16. nantahala

nantahala Well-Known Member

Want to try that again there 'cakes?

17. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

:crackup:
    Dude clearly doesn't attend the 'postophe posse meetings. I've given up here.

19. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

check out craigslist

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

:stupid: and dolmar