1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camping in paddocks.

Discussion in 'General' started by wreckless4thf, Oct 3, 2017.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to talk anyone out a toy-hauler, but tent camping can be very comfortable if you pony up for quality camp gear. There is definitely a major drawback to tents as far as setup and take-down time though. In a race-weekend situation, that's definitely a major consideration. Rolling in after dark, and the fact that you're only staying for two nights makes the setup feel like it's less worth while.

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

For some areas, yes. But I challenge you to find anybody that can tolerate camping in the southeast between May and potentially through Sep/Oct. If the heat doesn't get you, then the rainfall, insects, etc. will.

For sure, if it was just me I probably would have gone the small utility trailer route and the very basics. However, with our current setup we have been able to enjoy so many different adventures together as a family. Happy wife/kids = happy life.

TLR67 likes this.
  3. :stupid:

I can't sleep when it is hot. I keep the house at 65deg, and that is only out of consideration for the wife. Sometimes I still wake up sweating.

If it was just me, I'd keep it on 62-63deg.

No way I could sleep outside with it humid and 85-90deg.

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Etrailer just delivered my 2nd spare for the WP Tuesday. I can't roll with just one anymore, feel naked.

Gorilla George and V5 Racer like this.
  5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I realize it's a bold move :D

Did you put LT tires on it?

6. t11ravis

Nah, I did bump from D to E though. That thing is pretty light!

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

So what's the consensus on 15" LT tires? Brand and source please.

Tks
    M

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

pretty sure I got hankooks on my trailer...215/75-15s??

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I couldn't find 15" LT tires that were readily available so I put 16" wheels on the trailer. Discount Tire sells a pretty plain 5 lug 5-114 bolt circle 16" zero offset trailer wheel (part number is 52179 :D)

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Tick tock tick tock...

:Poke:

11. t11ravis

I'm not drinking that LT Kool Aid. I gotta jackknife that thing into my driveway each time I use it.

12. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

They make the new Goodyear Endurance ST's in a 15" Made in the USA :flag: Otherwise Maxxis seems to have great reviews in 15" ST tires

panthercity likes this.
  13. t11ravis

They don't want ST's. I think they all went out and got "LT or Die" tattoos or something.

14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I do it, me my parents and two kids under 5.
    All south east tracks the last two years plus njmp, and Pitt race this year. Last year at road Atlanta was the only time we went to a hotel if I remember correctly.

15. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

My 2006 7x19 tandem axle enclosed trailer still wears the original Maxxis 15" STs and I've never had a single issue. Great tires.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I carry 3 spares for my triple axle TH. When one goes, especially if it's the middle one, it can quite easily damage the other two. Worst I've experienced, though was 2 at once. Currently on Maxxis, 16" rims. No blow outs so far with these (E ply) but next set will be 12 or 14 ply, truck type trailer tires if I can find them.

t11ravis likes this.
  17. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I camped the whole 2015 season on the southeast schedule ... it can be done but it's not for everyone! :eek:

That being said, at the RRR round in July.. I said f-it and cut a slit into a 4-man tent and stuck in a 5kBTU window unit... worked pretty well. Best to have a canopy over the tent tho.

badmoon692008 and TLR67 like this.
  18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That's right. If you are gonna stay in the club you better get one, too. Or else...

t11ravis likes this.
  19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Why does this not surprise me Blake!! Dude I always have room for you man...

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Possibly they don't understand that construction of ST and LT differ. ST has stiffer sidewalls for greater load. LT is designed to turn (steer) so carcass construction is different. But, if you're the type that doesn't believe in 'horses for courses' you probably race a trials bike in lightweight...