1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CafeRace where have you been

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Vin Diesel and The Rock put out some solid documentaries showing how. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  2. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Road trip!

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

The car rental agency scared the eff out of me with their accident stuff. they are like, we are not like the rest of the world. I was like...uhh yeah...I can see that.

4. Mexico is no joke, the value they put on life in a lot of parts is extremely low and to think you will get help from cops on the payroll of the people that committed the crime is a joke. It’s not like Mexico 10-15 years ago, worst thing I was worried about back then was getting mugged. Not anymore.

5. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

If you're white and American, don't go out of the tourist areas, say my dual citizenship friends. If he got into trouble with the law, it may not be quite as bad as trouble with the cartels, but the cartels own the police. What city/area was he in?

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Cabo San Lucas. Jim was just too social a guy to drop off the internet on his own accord and the idea he is drinking in his happiness goes against the context that took him to Baja Sur in the first place. Something is amiss. I tried to track down some leads, but they went nowhere. Hoping for the best.

SuddenBraking and Boman Forklift like this.
  7. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I drove down from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas right before Christmas and then drove from Cabo back to northern AZ just last week. The border towns are kinda crowded and crappy but Baja Sur is pretty nice and quiet. As long as you don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong Baja is a decent place. I feel more inclined to carry while in most US cities as compared to Baja. The biggest threat I saw was the 2000lb Bull laying in the middle of the Mex Hwy 1. I was only pulled over once in Lareto for blowing a stop side that no longer existed and when I pointed it out to the cop that the sign is gone he let me go. Is there corruption in Mexico? yes. but not anything that you can't handle.

Los Cabos is a nice place. My condo is available to anyone that wants to go.............for a small fee.

As for Jim, I do find it strange that the dude disappeared. My Encyclopedia Brown background has me thinking he's in some trouble or worse.

BigBird and RossK6 like this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I feel like there may have been some Mexican justice involved :(

9. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Is there anyone who can file a missing persons report? Family members or such?

10. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Any idea of Jim's favorite watering holes? Bartenders and servers need to be spoken with.

Hell, maybe he stopped drinking and is off writing music or painting or some shit.

11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Does this dude have no family anyone else here knows? At all? Or other non-internet friends? Prolly best to start there.

Was telling my homie from Juarez about this at lunch today. His reaction was a long "tssssss..." breathe-in/sucking sound and an eye roll. At least its not Michoacan or Sinaloa right now, but still...

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Like my man Flava Flav always says, "Don't believe the hype!!"

People seriously need to stop hating on Mexico, especially if they haven't traveled extensively there. Is it the Hamptons? No. It's poor, and has all the trappings of a poor country. You have to expect Shameless solicitation, filth, awful roads, shitty infrastructure, and run down neighborhoods.

Just like like plenty of places in America. No matter the country, when you have areas of poverty, you have to expect that there will be crime, and the volume and severity will be concentrated in the major metropolitan areas.

I speak a little Spanish, possess a modicum of class, treat people with respect, and use common sense, and I've never had anything by great experiences. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Mexican people are largely warmer and more generous than most of their counterparts north of the border.

I just got back today from chasing waves all over Baja, and every time I go I ponder what exactly Mexico did to deserve the ire of so many people in the US.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a lot of experience with Mexico... about 35 years worth. A lot of that experience involves death. I won't go there. Mexico is great. Until its not.

Sabre699, joec and terminus est like this.
  14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

All I know (as reported here) is he has a brother that lives in Bali. He was previously married, and I think they were on good terms, but I don't know her name or whereabouts.
    My Dad started dragging us kids to Baja back in the early 70's to fish and ride dirt bikes. I have had nothing but great experiences there. I'll likely try to figure a partial retirement deep on the peninsula.

15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

While i'd generally agree (about Mexico being rad and maybe not deserving all the ire), and i've had nothing but cool times in mexico... you don't see mutilated heads and bodies in the streets randomly in even the worst places in the US, and there's not a need to send the US army to go arrest criminals because trained mercenaries with automatic weapons want to prevent your arrest. Being a reporter also shouldn't be one of the most dangerous jobs, but it is there. Just sayin...

16. condon66

condon66 Member well known

download.jpg

17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I agree about not hating on mexico. Spent 2 months there last year. Beautiful country and nice people in general. But it is different down there compared to the states, if you piss the wrong person/ people off you can disappear and no one is looking for you. Sometimes a good thing to be off the radar, sometimes a bad thing

18. My opinion comes from experience and not the media,I love spending time in Mexico but it’s not like it used to be and that needs to be taken very seriously.

19. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

LOL, the tourist areas are where all the hustlers and crime are at. Please tell me you are not one of those guys that take a Royal Caribbean cruise and goes paddle boarding and calls that an adventure? Doubt Jim on a shoestring budget with a little lot in Cabo got to the cartel.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So how long have you lived in California? We used to go a few times a year. Went there for sales meetings. Played golf down there, took my kids horseback riding on the beach with my parents in tow. Would go down just to hang for a day or two and eat lobster, etc.

I have friends that have had major issues, it isn't all hype as you say. My wife even had issues about 15 years ago getting back across the border, interrogated, had to pay a chunk of money, etc.

We haven't gone in 10-15 years.