1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BYU's no-f*cking policy

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Mar 6, 2011.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The more I think about it, the more impressed I am with their decision to forgo a very solid chance to make the final four by suspending a crucial basketball player who had sex with his girlfriend. I may not agree with what's in the honor code, but I am impressed that they chose to do something no other major collegiate athletic program would have done. :clap:

What did you guys think of it?

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I think the world would be a much better place if everyone stuck to their guns.

3. exfix

exfix Well-Known Member

It is impressive that they arent willing to do the same old bullshit warnings we always see.

4. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I agree with post #2 and 3.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

BYU code according to their website:

Be honest
    Live a chaste and virtuous life
    Obey the law and all campus policies
    Use clean language
    Respect others
    Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
    Participate regularly in church services
    Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
    Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

Its a clear cut no excuse policy. I can respect that. Its kind of amusing...specially the "substance abuse" part.

6. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I'm liking Northwesterns policy on sex much, much more. Bring in a woman who strips naked and does herself in front of the class for everyone to watch. I bet that prof rates really high on the "rate the prof" websites.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

BYU showed that they were serious. Their code wasnt a surprise to anyone. Good for them for not compromising.

(but for the record, I like the naked woman University too!)

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I agree with posts #4 and #6.

9. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I've been in total compliance with BYU's policy for way too long!

:(

10. wisconsinRR

wisconsinRR Active Member

Well they sure beat out Ohio St.

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

They also lost a key football player this last season for the same thing.
    The students know the rules, they know what will happen when they break them. And it isn't "oh, we'll let you play in this bowl game because if we don't let you, we'll be out millions of dollars, but we'll slap your hands later. Maybe, if we remember".

The rules ARE strict and ARE different, but the students sign to them and the school does stick to their guns. Now. They didn't so much back in the Jim McMahon days.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do tell. I know virtually nothing about the school.

And if things change, what do you think the reason is?

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Jim McMahon was a bit of a party guy. Well, not so much a bit as a LOT. But he was also one of the best quarterbacks the NCAA had seen, and BYU football was coming pretty big on the college football scene at the time - late 70s, early 80s.
    Just like other things today, news spreads much more quickly and widely than they did back then. The "rumors" spread around campus and somewhat through the city and area, but that's about it.
    Now that the school is more in the national eye for sports as well as having some really solid academic programs, they see more of a need to stick to their guns regarding the honor code. There used to be a major perception locally that they turned a blind eye toward the athletes so as to not hinder the programs - which they did many years ago. But now the only people you ever hear about getting suspended for violations are the athletes. I mean, it's just not gonna make the news when a biology major gets the axe for gettin' busy.

14. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Well, he didn't rape her which is better than most high level college athletes.

15. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

If that were the case, I bet he'd have an NBA contract and $50million signing bonus on the table right now.

16. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

my buddy got kicked out of byu for smoking a cigerette

17. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I believe that Joe Paterno would have suspended him if the player was caught breaking the rules.

18. sdg

sdg *

I believe that religion is the largest source of hypocrisy I've personally seen.

Of course they suspended him; appearances leave no other action.

19. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Easy to say when you live in SLC. Move here and you would say the same thing about the Baptists.

20. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

:D

Now that's funny...

I love the guy but Joe lives in his own little world where he either doesn't know what's going on around him or just doesn't give a shit. He brings a lot of money to this little town so I'm happy for that. :up: