1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an Airplane?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I'll Pm you after my multi check as well, thank you for the offer to chat. Trying to not get too far ahead of myself and get too worked up that I might be Fking up but gonna get this knocked out and will look at the next step.I did find out it's $75 a month for a tie down spot at my local airport

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Stay away from the older 60's-early 70's Cherokee's they have lots of corrosion problems. Just had a nice, well maintained late 60's Cherokee 6 need to have a main spar and both rear spars replaced. If you're building time find a nice late 70's 172 that hasn't been in a flight school.

Triple X and Steak Travis like this.
  3. Jay Hodge

Jay Hodge Well-Known Member

FFF24FF5-6CE8-4D9C-A9FC-9D60189C9835.jpeg

Yes, buy a plane. I have 2 of them. A Yak 55M and an RV-4. Love them both. The Yak is a total aerobatic bad ass, and the RV-4 is fun to put my wife in and go places. I live on an airport community and am living my dream everyday.

Don’t listen to all the negative bullshit. If you want to fly for a living, go for it. I quit a good paying job to be a flight instructor. It was a huge paycut, but I’ve never been sorry I did it. I’m now a Check Airman at a cargo company flying 747’s all over the world and making great money. I did the passenger/commuter thing for 10 years, and it was tough, but it got me where I am now. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

For some reason a lot of people will tell you don’t do it. It’s a long, hard road, but there is nothing like doing what you truly love every day.

Jay

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

You guys figure out a way to fly the beeb over to Germany, luggage and bikes included for the alps tour.
    Put your damn pilots licenses and airplanes to good use.
    Pheasant hunt, ok ...

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Maybe someone still active in the military can borrow one of these for a week or two. We can probably fit everyone's bikes in just one plane.

You pilots can fly anything, right?

59318132b74af46e008b6024.jpg

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Jay Hodge

Jay Hodge Well-Known Member

Yep, sure can. On the way t9 Honolulu.

2F5B3935-57D3-46A3-938A-0307D750E4EA.jpeg

gy999r, Jed, Gino230 and 4 others like this.
  7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I should clarify this to include any other Piper that looks like a Cherokee, Warrior, Arrow, Lance etc. They all have steel plates riveted to the aluminum rear spars to attach them to the fuselage. They are still building them the same way now, and after decades have passed the protection they put on fails and they start corroding each other. Although, the protection they started putting on them in the 80's forward seems to have held up a little better than the one coat of black spray paint they used in the 60's. The main spars are another story and will have an AD coming out eventually as well, requiring at minimum an eddy current inspection of some bolt holes where it attaches to the carry through.

Also, don't by any plane that has spent time in Florida, it's like buying a used car that came from the rust belt and will cost you serious money. Corrosion is a serious issue with the aging GA fleet and will cost you money or make your airplane a paper weight. Cessna 210's are getting parked all over the place for the new wing spar AD, which has been coming for a few years. Cessna went around buying all the 210 spar carry through's that were in the salvage yards to keep them out of circulation. They have new ones available, but the part cost and installation normally exceeds the value of the airframe.

Triple X likes this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

Gino230, Chino52405 and Phl218 like this.
  9. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Back when I was working in the homebuilt industry, I was trying to convince a couple of people to go in on an Albatross and shuttle bikes around the country. Sure there were enough people in the GS crowd who would rather pay to shuttle themselves and their bikes around to places like labrador highway than make the haul up there. We had two A&P and two pilots between us.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. ChemGuy

If your jot on POA pilots of america...its the beeb of flying beebs.

SundaySocial likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

12. Steak Travis

There will only be one Beeb but I've read there some. I've been on beech talk some as well. My check ride is in a Baron 55 and I know my DPE likes systems questions so I'll be learning that thing in and out, but I enjoy knowing that stuff too.

13. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I got my private pilot at 16, went into the A.F. planned on using the GI bill but that didn't work out. (white man speak with forked tongue)
    While working at the airport as a ramp rat I figured out several things.
    Most pilots aren't married or if they are it's a glorified truck driver job. Just about everyone said, I should have worked on a job that would allow me to fly for fun when I wanted to. (
    IF you decide to take that route, most would agree compress training is best. Once a week takes much longer than twice a day.
    Buying a plane works if you understand the inspection process, main question was last major overhaul was how many hours ago.
    Major overhauls can be darn pricey.

Also discovered flying at 10 feet off the ground isn't like 10,000 feet. At altitude 500 mph isn't fast.

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Here you go.

Attached Files:

15. Steak Travis

Commercial Multi Check ride is done! Now onto CFI and will get a feel from the flight schools on what they are hearing from furloughed pilots. I already know MTSU has Called my buddy at air Wisconsin who is pretty sure he's about to get furloughed.

Not sure if it's public yet but there was an accident with an aircraft at a flight school this morning in a twin while I was doing my check ride. Will see how that affects things.

code3ryder likes this.
  16. ChemGuy

Congrats.

I did my BFR in our club RV7A this morning. Did a small cruise section at 25 squared I was doing ~170mph TAS.

Havent flown in a few months due to some medical issues...But I'm good now. Feels good to be back.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

wife got me a take-off and landing flight intro for our anniversary.

i pointed out that i excluded her from life insurance, shall she try to kill me that way.

18. ChemGuy

Nice. Enjoy.

She probably has a second policy you dont know about. Pays triple if you die in a light plane. :D

Banditracer and Phl218 like this.
  19. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Youd know she was trying to kill you if she got you a helicopter lesson

Phl218 likes this.
  20. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Mine did, and that’s exactly what my partner told me...