1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Built motor" maintenance

Discussion in 'Tech' started by code3ryder, Mar 11, 2020.

1. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Hoping this is in the right spot. Did a search but got nothing (kind of weird keywords).

I'm looking at ditching my streetbike and going track only. In looking at some track bikes, they note that the motor was built by someone. Obviously there are different levels of builds and I understand that.

What I'm wondering is how is the maintenance different for a trackday guy with one of these motors.

example:

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/2011-gsxr-1000.365995/

Would this be more of a maintenance pain the ass than it's worth and just get a bike with a stock motor?

Hope this question comes across right.

Thanks!

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If that is a Superstock build, you might need to work on it a bit more than stock to keep it in top shape, but really it should be pretty much just as reliable as a stock motor. Change oil & coolant regularly, check valves per manufactures recommendation (or more often if it turns out that they are out of spec when you check them) and run it. It is generally when you get into Superbike build motors that you start having to do maintenance on them.

code3ryder likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:stupid:
    When you need to worry is when you have a Ducati Corse 996 superbike engine...heads must be pulled for valve seat/guide check maintenance every 600 miles or bike goes boom, right on schedule. :crackup::(:(

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    K51000 and code3ryder like this.
  4. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

this is actually a good question. i have a SS built motor that's had a few seasons on it, and have been wondering what to check to prevent it from going boom. valve check and compression test? regular maintenance was always done when the motor was in the bike

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Valve checks are always a good idea.

Leak down testing is more revealing than compression testing. Neither test will be accurate on an engine that's been sitting on a shelf.

If sportbikes had an OEM maintenance schedule “B”, superstock trackbikes would prudently follow that recommendation. Whatever the regular schedule is, basically, cut it in half if not quarters for hard part maintenance. If you really wanted to be on top of it, do it annually regardless of any mile marker. Otherwise, if a bike has a bulletproof reputation, a pipe and tune isn't gonna make it any more vulnerable to operation. Add compression and cam timing, you might want to be a little more diligent.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Does the motor have Ti valves? Those tend to wear the coating if they beat against the seat(s). If the seats are beatup then its possible the guides may need work. Definitely check the springs & collets on the valve train. Check the cams, cam chain and their caps for wear. Oil pump, cam chain tensioner, etc. How much material left on cylinder head from prev build. Then of course youd need to check the pistons & rings. Rod bearings, rod bolts, and main bearings. Rods should be checked closely and its possible to recon vs buying new because mostly likely your existing rods were weight matched. Finally the crank...

code3ryder likes this.
  7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

GSXR's dont use Ti valves, like the R6's do. my built motor is SS legal, so the cams and other internals are OEM still.

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Really? Seriously?

9. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

The 2013-16 GSX-R1000 had steel exhaust valves only, intakes were Ti. The 2009-2012 had Ti intake and exhaust. I can recall regarding pre-2009.

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

my SS motor gets oil changes. i havent let one go much longer than a year before being rebuilt, so i never need to do a valve adjustment. my engine builder said he felt bad replacing bearings last time, so i'll let this one go two years and will do that valve adjustment and replace the water halfway. so ya, my maintenance is no different from a stock engine at the track.

11. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

my 600 is older. i'm pretty sure they're not Ti, but i could be wrong.

12. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Both the 600 and 750 had Ti valves in 2006+, but I don't know about the 2005 and older bikes.