1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building a new garage/shop. Advice please!

Discussion in 'General' started by Brianj666, Jan 25, 2021.

1. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

DAMN........now I have to revise my plans...... :crackup:

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Awesome recommendations. If you wind up staying within your space requirements and not building more than you need (which is a good idea) everything that isnt dedicated to wall area, put on wheels like carts and toolboxes. You will be either to create more workspace or create a work space. Helps in my humble two car garage.

Razr likes this.
  3. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

40x40 is a great size my auto shop is 32 by 40 it makes 3 good size bays. 10x10 doors and 12 foot ceiling. if you have room put up a stringer for a lean to on one or both ends. weather be outdoor storage or insulated addition later.

when ready for insulation spray foam. its way better than batted and will cut out drafts.

Leave a corner boxed out dirt 3 x 4 ish if you want to plumb a toilet later and sink these are must haves in my book

4. Brianj666

Brianj666 Well-Known Member

thanks for the good ideas, i'll consider them all. Like most people, my dreams are bigger than my budget. I like the floor heat, drain, electrical, and lift ideas. Thanks again everyone!

5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

My dream garage has a toilet, sink, and stand up shower in it. I'd love to (and my wife would too) be able to drop my garage clothes and shower before I go back in the house.

R/T Performance likes this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

All you need then is a fridge!

lopitt85 likes this.
  7. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

If you do pole construction, my shop is bookshelf construction. Instead of the nailers going on the outside of the poles for exterior tin they're in between the poles. You can then also use them for however you finish the interior My personal opinion is it also makes for a stronger building

jrsamples likes this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Thats why I built mine instead of paying a contractor. And you can see what that experience has done to me...(spend your money on blow and strippers instead :D). Its taken too long...and wore me out...but I will have a$50,000 shop and only spent ~20K or so. When i get the big doors on, electricity run, insulation in, lights in....aggghhhh. IT. NEVER. ENDS.

I will say the floor heat didnt add much so far (No boiler yet). So even if you add the heat later put in the slab insulation and tubing now. I didnt do a drain as I want no pipes in an unheated space in MI. Too much risk of breaking. If you want to use your full height look at using scissor trusses. I had a stupid 10' wall height restriction so I did scissors and plan to add roof pitch garage door tracks so I can have full use of the extra scissor height.

Also try to plan your areas where you want to do whatever (ie. lift area, work bench area, panel, boiler, etc) so you can plan doors and windows.

Good Luck.

9. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Buy a square truss set up from a starving entertainment company and build an interior gantry like they do in the high end car racing garages

10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I've never seen that construction before around me, interesting
    I did the traditional nailers on the outside and after the floor was poured put up a 2x4 perimeter wall with a pressure treated bottom plate, I insulated the wall cavity with R19 unfaced bat for the pole width and did R13 faced for the 2x4 wall, I sheathed the inside with 1/2" CDX plywood so I could mount whatever I wanted to the walls. Not the cheapest way to go but since I wasn't paying labor I figured I'd cry once on the materials cost.

Attached Files:

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I built my 40X80 pole barn 14' high with 12' roll up doors. Should have gone 16' with 14' high doors. The standard height for big toy haulers is 13'6". I bought a used house trailer oil fired furnace for heat in the shop. I just blow the air into the shop, no ducting...works OK but is spotty. I put in a grease pit, don't bother, never use it, too dangerous. Buy a hydraulic lift rated for at least 10,000 lbs. Expensive but you'll use it a lot, kinda like a Handy lift is to bikes.

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Come on bro. Never heard of fairtex? :D

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

OK, so now Ima need some outside pics.

14. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

jrsamples likes this.
  15. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Yes... yes I have... And bro, I also race.
    Something has to give !!! lol

I have my own little school... very small. So I can't afford to buy expensive bags.
    Have 14 6' bags plus this one in my garage.

JBraun likes this.
  16. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Start with a list of what you want and lay out on paper. At a minimum you want to have lift, bathroom, fridge, good lighting, plenty of electric, air compressor, ceiling fan of some sort.

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Wait, wait, wait, where do the 3 Yuengling kegs and the built in kegerator go? Otherwise Mongo will NOT sign off on this project!

Motofun352 likes this.