1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buckmaster bike illegal..

Discussion in 'General' started by ZebProctor, May 22, 2002.

1. ZebProctor

ZebProctor Well-Known Member

2. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I had a conversation with one of the guys at Graves this weekend and he was all upbeat about the situation. He thought that they would have no other problems with the issue for the rest of the year... riiiiiiigghht. Bummer for them. I bet they're in an R&D whirlwind right about now with the '02 chassis.

3. ZebProctor

at least they have the resources to deal with a blow like that... imagine a judgement like that handed down to a privateer, he wouldn't be able to recoop till the next season

4. 9mil

9mil Yea, that's right

Did anyone else notice that the article never actually stated the problem with running an R7/R1 combo? - obviously there is a homoligation issue- but if one didnt know that the article would be completly usless - bunch of morons I tell you!
    9mil

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

actually there is a giant rock for the other teams to stand on. the R1 chassis is comercially available. the R7 is not.

6. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I don't think the issue would have ever made it this far if a privateer showed up with this bike. How it ever made it through tech the first time is a mystery to me! I mean, why let this R7/R1 obomination run and not the Tularis!?!?!?

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

The Tularis is a two stroke; if I remember correctly, the rules state four stroke, and it has to be a mass-produced motorcycle.

Like it or not, I'll bet Yamaha US still has a few R7's in the crate. So I bet they are still available, just not well known. Just MHO.

8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

IMHO

It was a cheater bike, and I'm glad the Appeals Board had the cojones to follow the rule book.

I'm all for an R7 based bike, which should be based on a street legal and AVAILABLE R7. Or, better yet, why did they go through all the trouble of inventing "Deltabox III" for the new R1 when they could have just used the R7 frame? What does this say about DB III?

9. mreish

mreish Junior Human Stink Beast

Forgive my complete and total ignorance but what advantage does the R7 frame over the R1? I honestly don't know but am curious.

10. melissa

melissa Sir

11. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Agreed. However if your going to ignore the rules or worse, selectively enforce the rules, then you might as well open it up to no rules! Has an R7 ever been offered in the US market with an R1 engine!? The answer is obvious and the bike should never have been allowed to run. The AMA's reactions/actions when confronted with a real no brainer is quite telling IMHO.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thanks Melissa, I was just searching for articles to post a link to. specifically the RRW from 2000.
    I find it REAL interesting that Stanboli got kicked in the nutz to the tune of $100k when he tried to bring his R7/R1 combo to the track, and Chuck has no problems (up till now).
    I bet if JU brought a wing nut from a GSV-R for use on his Formula bikes, it wouldn't have even made the first practice section. :D
    Selective prosecution by the AMA? Nah, wouldn't happen.:rolleyes:

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

If you go back through the RRW news section and follow this from the 5/16/02 news it will enlighten you more on the story.

The AMA Pro Racing guys changed there story from 9/01 this season and got called on it. They were too stupid to realize that the AMA member that inquired about the legality of the bike last year would be smart enough to not delete the string of emails and the approved bike list. The list is also on the RRW site. The Pro Racing dumbasses in Ohio totally contradicted themselves and paid the price yesterday. Their argument was also ruined when it was proven that the R7 says not for street use(in USA) which it must be based on the AMA rulebook. The Duc SPS and Aprillia Mille SP(among others) are not legal for FXtreme because they aren't "street legal" in the US.

As far as I'm concerned the AMA Pro Racing board and Vanderslice should be packing there bags today and looking for a job. :mad: Their imcompetance has screwed every team involved including Graves by not communicating with them.

Last edited: May 22, 2002
  14. LonnieM

LonnieM Well-Known Member

I think it's bullshit myself, why change the dam rules mid way through the season, looks like someone needs to clean house at AMA, I think it's purely political! Buckmaster is dominating the seriers, so the comptitors try to find any loop hole they can to expose the situation, they are just pissed cause they are getting their asses handed to them!!
    This will have a sweet ending when Buckmaster get's on a 02 R1 and still kicks their ass, then what will they say next?? Just plain crap!:confused:

15. ZebProctor

agreed

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Read the rules and the exerpts from the AMA emails to the AMA member then explain how it is a loop hole. :confused:

Hell, Vanderslice even admitted in the hearing that he wasn't allowed to enforce it last year because the AMA Pro Racing board wouldn't allow him to.

The teams tried to protest the bike last year since Rich Stanboli was not allowed to use the hybrid in 2000 but the Pro Racing geniuses wouldn't let them. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 22, 2002
  17. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

According to the info I have read, the rules haven't changed. The AMA has finally decided to enforce them. It makes me question whether the AMA has a clue about anything at this point since I have seen nothing Positive come from them in quite some time. I think it's time for someone to take over and run the place correctly. Make a rule, enforce the rule (for everyone)....it's actually pretty simple.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Lonnie,
    No rule change, just enforcement of a rule, and the whole situation should have never gotten to this point. The R7 chassis wasn't legal when Stanboli tried to bring one in with Miller as his rider, what has changed since then? The R7 still isn't street legal in the US, and the rules state that the bike must be so. Why should Yamaha be able to get around the rules just because Buckmaster is stomping everyone? Why Yamaha and not Aprillia, Ducati, Suzuki, or Benelli (if they decide to try the AMA)?
    Personally, I'd love to see Graves continue to tear it up with a '02 R1 chassis, but I'd wager that there was a reason they ran the R7 chassis instead of the R1 chassis.

Dave K

19. melissa

melissa Sir

They're not changing the rule, they're enforcing it. The protest was logged at the first event of the year and the AMA procrastinated on holding the hearing until this week, after 3 events had been run. That was their own decision.

20. LonnieM

LonnieM Well-Known Member

Yeah but it's AMA's fault for waiting soo long to enforce the protest, AMA should enforce the issue after this season, then make it known that the R7/R1 is no longer legal, until Yamaha makes it legal in the states, don't wait till the middle of the season to do so! That's my complaint! This will give the Yamaha teams time to practice and get the 02 R1 up to their standards for testing! You just don't say a bike is illegal in the middle of the season just doesn't make sense!!