1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B'stone slicks for SV

Discussion in 'Tech' started by turbodogs02, Feb 5, 2008.

1. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

Ok, I've "search"ed and read and re-read some more..........I need some input from those of you with the experience.

I'm contemplating going to Bridgestones this year from Michelin's. I'll be racing an SV this year that has a 160 rear. After reading various posts it sounds like the hot setup is the 165 gp slick. I've never ridden B'stone's and certainly never a slick.

So I have a couple of questions......first what size is the slick? I know it's a 165, but is it the 165/625 or 165/630? And what compound is generally used? I would assume medium as it looks like that covers pretty much most track temps, with maybe an occasional hard for the summer time.

Next question.....Are you running slicks front and rear or just a DOT front with slick rear? I only ask as I've seen some guys run a slick front with DOT rear before. It seems like the DOT's are well liked, and it's a shame they don't have the 160 yet. Didn't know what the preferred combination with the slick rear would be.

How about tire wear? I know the SV's don't eat tires as quick as a bigger bike, but how does the slick do?

Also, for anyone with prior Michelin to Bridgestone experience, how do they compare? What were your feelings on the two?

Thanks in advance to the all knowing, all powerful BBS! :D

2. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

Hey bro, the slicks are sick for the SV. The rears we used last year were 165/630 R17's. They turned in incredibly fast and had reliable grip all the way to the edge with really consistent wear. Good resistance to heat tearing as well. As far as what tire to use where and how they may perform, call Quentin Mize at Mize Mobil 410-437-6611, he'll be able to set you up.
    I hoped that helped, good luck.

3. turbodogs02

That does help thanks. At least I know what size the rear is now.

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Yup, 165/630 has been around for years. Before that they were 165/625's nad way before that they were 165/620. They just keep getting taller.

Run the slick fronts and rears. The Medium is a great rear. Run the soft front. The front can be swapped with the dot front if you need to cut costs some, but stick to the slick in the rear.

5. turbodogs02

^^^^^^^^Right on! Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was wanting to know. :up:

6. stickboy274

No problem

7. frayed

frayed Member

I'm interested in these tires, but noticed that the 165/630 R17's are recommended for a 5., better yet 5.5 wheel. Are people using these on the stock 4.5" sv wheels or are they commonly swapping to a different wheel?
    GSX-R, CBR F3 etc. Seems they would be pinched and give less contact patch at the edge.

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have the 165 mounted on a 4.5, and it seems to work pretty well. It isn't pinched too much, but I can't seem to get to the edge of the rear tire while I can grind off the edge of the front pretty easily. I had the same problem with the Pirelli's, so it isn't a B'Stone issue. I have also heard that some guys like using the DOT front with the slick rear because the slick front provides too much grip, and can cause issues with non-adjustable suspension (like my FZR, old Hurricane's and SV's). But I don't know, because I just run the pressures at 32F/32R off the track and have zero issues with them (thanks Stick!).

Love the price, love the performance, and if I filled out my contingency paperwork correctly I will love the payouts.

9. stickboy274

Yup, all of that is right.

No problems at all running the 165 on the SV wheel

10. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

Hey Stickboy, do you recommend the 120 or 125 front to go with the 165/630 on an SV?

I was looking at your website, didn't the BT-002 get replaced by the BT-003? Also, is the new DOT BT-016 out yet? I'm thinking of switching to Bridgestone and trying to learn more.....

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  11. stickboy274

OK, the 120, ultra soft and soft, and 125, medium, fronts are very different tires. The 120 is easier to set uo for, and switches easier with the DOT's. The 125 is a very pointy tire that wants you to throw the bike in, not ease it in. They both work well, but most people like the 120 shape and carcass better.

The 003 has replaced the 002, and I have 016's here in stock now. They have been getting better reviews than the 090 160 ever did. With an 002 front, the SV DOT's are $286. With an 003 front, they are $299.

12. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

That's my bad re: the 003's on the web site...I will have that fixed tonight.

13. stickboy274

Your the bestus

14. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

Have you had anyone racing on the 016 with an SV yet?

Is there a reason you package them with the Race DOT 002/003 front and not sell them in pure 016 sets to racers? Is the front just not up to race conditions, even on a lightweight SV?

Thanks!

15. stickboy274

The 002/003's are really good tires, and they come with compound options. I think they are going to perform better than the 016 also.

I've had some practice and a solo run on an 016. It went well. We will still need more time to see if it is a winning tire, but it is better than the othe roption I have right now, for sure.

16. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I will be trying a full set of the 016's on my TLR track day CR'ing bike. When I do, I'll report back.

I rode an 016 rear at Barber on the SV. I wasn't riding very well all weekend, but I did do consistent easy 43's on that tire. I know that isn't a fast SV time, but as I weigh near to 300 pounds, when I'm riding an SV at that pace it's safe to say that the tire is...under duress :) I'm confident I could run well faster than that on the tire...more testing and setup is needed.

17. T-Roc

T-Roc Well-Known Member

will the 165/630 fit on a 5.5" wheel or is it too wide?

18. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

I'd like to know that too! :)

19. stickboy274

They designed it for a 5.5" 250 gp rear. It will fit fine, but I wouldn't put it on a big bike like a 600 or bigger.

20. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

What about an 090 or 016 rear, are they fine to mount on a 5.5" rear wheel?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008