1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BST go boom.

Discussion in 'General' started by JD¹³, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Did you not see my massive tattos. Can you not spell my name right?

[​IMG]

Not Ace. I've got a bitchin cool signature logo but Mongo won't let me use it.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No problem Rob Van Winkle, I saw you ride your Gixxxxxxxxxxxer in your movie, you can be down.

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

His fence jump was awesome 'till he scared the horse.

Poor horse. Let me cheer you up with some bright parachute pants.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Did you see that hot piece of ass I paid to like me...

She said she would do it for free but not if I wore that face with those pants.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

you should have just paid for a belt.

6. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Copied from the site:

Wow....and folks complain that there are a lot of "assholes" posting here!
    You gotta admit, the sigs are pretty out of hand since the last major site upgrade.

7. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

That R1 site makes me want to stick hot embers in my eye sockets. After I gouge out my eyeballs with a Blashfield SuperScrewdriver.

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I'd hate that site even if I owned an R1 .

9. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Holy Roman Wife Beaters?

10. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

The idea of riding on top of sheets of glued together carbon doesn't sit well with me. I mean F1 cars are entirely composed of carbon fiber, BUT the wheels aren't CF. Should tell you something...

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Really, if you're at the highest level of competition, you might want to use CF rims or a CF gas tank (which I have seen go tragically wrong), but from what I've seen on the track, you're taking your chances. Few are at a level where it will make that much of a difference, the rest are stroking their egos.
    And I really can't imagine relying on a repaired carbon fiber wheel. Nor would I think it cost-effective in relation to increased performance for 99% of the racers out there. Crash that bike once, and all bets are off as far as structural integrity goes with CF. How many people could actually verify the integrity of a CF wheel with visual inspection after a crash? A waste of money unless you're Rossi and company, and I doubt they would repair or reuse a CF wheel that had been crashed. Crash damage not properly addressed can bite you big-time down the road. Ask me how I know.:D

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What a maroon.
    "Ink makes me a badass".:crackup:

13. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

It's surprising all of the references to abuse the track gives these rims. If a rim like this can't take track use then I wouldn't ride around my block with them. Street riding is clearly more demanding on rims and running gear than the track.

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Literally, no one. The only way to check something like that is via x-ray, or destructive tests.

15. marcaztls

marcaztls Well-Known Member

The majority of guys posting on here really aren't understanding exactly what the 'repaired' wheel Kangaroo is talking about, despite him being very clear. So I'll try again as the brick wall doesn't have enough dents in it clearly...

The metal HUB was the ONLY part used in the 'repaired' wheel.

It will have been used in exactly the same way as a brand new wheel is made, and the carbon spokes/rim bonded around the 'old' hub. If it was a new hub, you'd have exactly the same product. That's a fact. If you can't see that, there's no hope.

That wheel was essentially new, hence the reason BST say they'll give the wheel a 2 year warranty as they would a new off-the-shelf one. It failed, we'll likely never find out why, we can only hope they honour the warranty for 'Roo.

If you don't like the idea of using carbon wheel, don't. It really is that simple. Leave the benefits of them to people that are willing to use them and be happy with your standard, mag or alloy aftermarket wheels.

There is so much speculation and nonsense floating around on this thread and every other carbon wheel failure one like it. No-one seems to question when mag or alloy wheels fail, but everyone thinks they're a carbon expert...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  16. Kneedown YZ85

Kneedown YZ85 Well-Known Member

And the funny thing is that BST specs out their "track" wheels as being lighter than their "street" wheels, which would lead one to assume that the track versions have less material and thus, are not as durable as the street versions.

17. marcaztls

marcaztls Well-Known Member

The 'track' versions of BST have magnesium hubs, exactly the same carbon portions. The 'street' versions have alloy hubs.

Better to not assume I think...

18. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

BST?!?!?!?! :tut:

Fuck that shit, DURRANI, BITCHES!!! :beer::bow:

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

LOL...:beer:

20. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

The fact that the only piece re-used in a repaired CF wheel is the metal hub should alone tell you something about CF wheels.