1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Rib ?

Discussion in 'General' started by dickie doo, Jun 25, 2015.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I know many of you have broken ribs before, but have you ever had the pain get worse after a few weeks?

I highsided at Barber a few weeks back at the AMA round and managed to bust a few ribs. They hurt like hell (as broken ribs always do), but they seem to be worse the past few days.

I've broken ribs in the past, and like any injuries they hurt, but gradually get better. Not the case this time... wanted to see if anyone has ever had a similar experience?

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Man when I popped a few several years ago it took FOREVER to feel better. Like 3-4 months they hurt quite a bit and still were tender 6+ months later. I feel for you man. I felt like mine hurt more after about a week personally but it's been about 5 years so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I broke 2 a while back and I think after a few weeks of that frigging pain you're so sick of it that it "seems" to hurt more. I barely made Happy Hour that fateful day.

4. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Broke a rib at the 2012 GNF on Friday.... Raced in 2 races on Saturday.

Rub dirt on it.

It hurt for a good 2.5 months after.

5. dickie doo

Yeah, I broke a few doing a scarecrow on a wakeboard years back. Hurt like hell, and took months to heal.

I raced last weekend, and took 3rd at Road A.... I'm not slowing down much. Just never had them get worse over time.

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Broken ribs suck. Any of them not in line with the others? Probably worth an xray if the pain is getting worse just to make sure there's not some weird boney spur growth at the fracture site that is causing the pain as the break heals.

7. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

8 1/2 weeks later after breaking two ribs at Talladega I still have soreness first thing in the morning or laying on that side trying to get up. I also feel a pain on that side when taking a deep breathe almost like my lung is still bruised. I raced at Cycle Jam and the only thing that bothered me in the rib area was from T2 thru T5 as I did have trouble throwing the big bike left right, left right but kinda resorted to using my lower body and legs to help me through there.

Not much you can do with a rib injury just let time heal them up and try to avoid another impact in that area at all cost.

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

All rib fractures are not equal. It depends on the location and the severity of the break. Sometimes you can get right back on the bike, and sometimes you can't lift your cup of coffee.

In my experience, increasing pain for the first week or so is normal. I think it's a combination of healing, and moving more as the muscles that were trying to protect it loosen up.

9. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Broke a few at VIR in 2012 running off at hogpen 90mph. Picked up the bike and raced the next day to keep in the points. The pain in a tuck, hitting bumps, and having my chest smack the tank was pretty intense!

Harden up!! :D

Broke a few more in 2013 at Summit with a 45 mph low side. Also injured my shoulder; didn't even know I broke any ribs! :crackup: The shoulder kept my mind off of them.

10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Broke four ribs on a Sat, raced on Sunday, got them xray'd on Thurs. :) One was broken in two places with a section floating free, that one hurt for more than six months.

11. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Fractured 4 in 2011 and those same 4 again (though less severe) in 2012. The real bad pain only lasted a month, but still remained tender for a long while after that.

They take a while to heal and the first 4-6 weeks are the worst by far. I still sneeze differently than I did before the accident.

12. bruceiam

bruceiam Well-Known Member

I broke 2 a couple months ago and the pain seems to come and go. Last night it was so bad I couldn't sleep. Today it's fine.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Broke the 3 upper ones right below the collar bone 2 1/2 weeks ago. They are getting more painful every day. The orthopedic surgeon warned me that it may be like this though so I guess all is normal.

14. dickie doo

Good to know guys. :up:

I was debating going to get more x-rays, but it sounds like I'm just going through the paces.

15. dave_gsxr750

dave_gsxr750 Well-Known Member

it's called oldmanitis. Just setting in with you. I broke the tip of my pinky finger parkin lot racin back in February. That thing didn't stop hurting until last month. Your ribs are healing - you're feeling the barometric pressure bouncing while the bone mends. Getting old is grand my friend! Dr. Dave out!

16. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I fell at Tally on a Saturday morning, rode two races that day(I won't call it racing) in severe pain. Friends loaded my trailer, went to motel to rest, couldn't sleep, drove over 12 hours back home, dropped trailer and went to ER. Spent almost a week in hospital with five broken ribs and collapsed right lung.

I win...

P.S. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, don't try this.:tut:

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Trying to decide whether there's a little embellishing going on in here, or if this is just home to the hardest motherfuckers on the planet...

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're really really dumb too :D

19. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Well duh...

20. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Not by me hell I slept in a recliner for two solid weeks and I was still hurting by week 4 trying to sleep in a bed. I didn't ride a motorcycle until week 5 and probably should not have even done that. I did cheat and ride the Zuma at week 3 and was in pain afterward for doing it.

24 hours after breaking them I did good to just stand up straight. Hats off to the tough guys but I know my limits.