1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Femur

Discussion in 'General' started by gixxercurt, Feb 26, 2016.

1. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

3 weeks and 5 days since I broke my left femur (got some titanium installed) and collarbone. I'm able to take 15-20 steps with no crutch or cane, and down to using one crutch the rest of the time.

Curious what some of you guys healing time was and about where I stand in the healing process... I've got a lot or lax in my knee so I feel like it's holding me back quite a bit... That and my broken leg is now at least .25" longer, so not only does it have to support The weight I actually have to lift it.

How long till you were 100%?

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

I was able to run some laps on the SBK like 2 weeks later and then back to my regular MotoGP gig a couple weeks after that...

Oh that was a dream..I am not VR46...

Heal up quickly!

gixxercurt likes this.
  3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

100%, a couple of years. I had a mid shaft fracture with a trochanter fracture. Was internally fixed with intramedullary rod and trochanteric bolt. I spent about six months in a wheelchair (broke my humerus as well so couldn't use crutches) because the doctors were afraid I would have avascular necrosis and would require ship replacement at twenty five years of age. Not good since they only last about 15 years. I was walking after six months or so, but had really bad pain if I tried to run for a couple years.

gixxercurt likes this.
  4. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Didn't Garrett Gerloff break his femur ?? You should give him a shout ...

My guess is he had access to the best care and most rewarding recovery available.

Get better soon !!

gixxercurt likes this.
  5. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Get well soon!

gixxercurt likes this.
  6. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Broke mine when I was 6 y/o. Complete spiral break. 2.5 weeks in traction, 3.5 weeks in a body cast. I've had a leg length discrepancy (+1") ever since. You're already a lot farther along than I was 32years ago. I think technology has improved. Heal well.

7. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

wrong leg bone

8. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

That sounds like hell! Thank god for better technology

r6boater likes this.
  9. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

There's been several people I've talked to that had their IM rod removed, which I don't think is a terrible idea, but my doc is saying leave it in. I'm thinking about getting a second opinion for the fact of how serious it could be if I break it again. Anybody been through this? What was your doctors reason to leave/remove it?

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Where are you going for your ortho?

11. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

Orthopedic Specialties in Spartanburg SC

12. noles19

Oh ok, well I know a few in Charlotte if you want a second opinion over this way.

gixxercurt likes this.
  13. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

I may take you up on that after my follow up in a couple weeks. Thanks!

noles19 likes this.
  14. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Ortho Carolina in Charlotte or Carolina Orthopedic and Sports Medicine in Gastonia

15. noles19

Do not go to Gastonia for ortho.

16. Shenanigans

That's my foot/ ankle doc now. Dr Olsen in Gastonia. He is good. Knee doc there, mot do much

17. noles19

They almost cost me my middle finger on my right hand so I just stay away from them in general.

18. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Removal of the IM rod is not necessary unless you are having problems. That leg is much stronger than the other leg due to the hardware. The energy required to break the rodded leg would destroy the good one.
    That said, I had mine taken out six years after it was put in because I was having pain and numbness in my leg. Removal was long, but a lot of that was due to the removal of the hardware in my arm which didn't come out easily. I was walking with a cane the next day and used it three days. I was sore for about a week but only took pain meds for two days. I didn't think removal was that bad, although I was fully healed when it was removed.

gixxercurt likes this.
  19. Shenanigans

That sucks. Who was the doctor?

20. gabriel

gabriel Well-Known Member

I broke my femur in half on a quad years ago took me about 4-5 months till I can walk with out crutches but still couldn't put weight on it.still got the damn thing in my leg was suppose to had went back & take it out but never did.got 2 opinions on if I should or not both said I'm probably better off leaving it but my concern is breaking it again or when I get older

gixxercurt likes this.