1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brembo RCS size on R6 calipers

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Junkie, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded

I run R6 calipers on 320mm rotors on my SV1000 (street with some track rather than track/race, but I doubt that's too relevant).

I could use a new master cylinder. The Brembo RCS seems like the obvious way to go.

Who here runs that setup? Do you run an RCS19 or an RCS17? I know the R6 calipers use smaller pistons than most other calipers, so I'm curious as to whether a smaller master than what I tend to see is a good idea (I believe stock R6 master is 16mm, and the current GSXR radial master I have .75" aka 19.05mm, I found the stock R6 a bit mushy no matter how much bleeding I did, so I swapped back to GSXR).

Also: I've fallen in love with ASV levers, and run them on everything for several years. Sadly, I'm not seeing any options. What good options are available for shorty levers on RCS masters?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I ran a brembo 19x18 with R6 calipers and liked it quite a bit, which would obviously translate to using the RCS19.

ASV makes a lever for the regular 19x18 or 19x20 Brembo if you go with that option.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/asv-c5-sport-brake-lever-brembo-radial-1920-1918-master-cylinder

Realistically, as many have said on here, there isn't much purpose in going with the RCS. Its a pain to get repaired if crash damaged, and I've never seen anyone switch back and forth between the 2 lever ratios once installed. Almost everyone sets it on the ratio they like better and leaves it there. I myself have always preferred 19x18.

busa99 likes this.
  3. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded

It's a bike that sees mostly street use, so I want a brake light switch. The options that I've seen for the non-RCS brake light switches are either pressure switches (which I'd rather avoid) or expensive enough that I might as well buy the RCS (which comes with a nice one). My understanding is that the standard 19x18/19x20 are a pain to get repaired if crash damaged as well.

While I don't know that I'll be changing it often, it would be nice to figure out which option I like best.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If it's for the street, get the RCS19.

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Why not just run a r6 master? They are pretty good.

MELK-MAN and 418 like this.
  6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i ran an RCS19 on a Speed Triple with R6 calipers in the 19x18 setting. you could trail brake lift the rear wheel and one finger brake. it was bonkers good. RCS19 was my favoritest single mod i've ever done to a bike and now i don't think i'll ever have a bike without one.

7. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Guys I’ve never done a upgraded master. Stock on my 04 r1 is brembo and feels pretty dam good. Is the RCS a big difference?? If so what’s the real difference in feel?? Just more power?? More feel?? I’m street only but do put em to work for sure.

8. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

What pads/fluid/brake lines are currently using?

With the OEM m/c.... good fluid, good pads, aftermarket lines, and good bleeding is all you need for the street.
    Motul RBF 600/660, SBS RS 900 pads, Galfer SBK lines (or any aftermarket line) is my setup for the street.

Remember, guys that are club racing and AMA racing in SSTK classes are using OEM master cylinders. The difference in braking is in the aforementioned pads, fluid, lines, bleeding procedure.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a set of Spiegler reinsport braided lines. Also have a set of brembo rotors to install as well.now I just need to know if I should go with the vesrah rjl or the newer srjlxx for my front pads. Right now all is stock.

10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I'm not a Vesrah guy, too much brake dust. I use EBC GPFAX race pads for the track.

I run the SBS RS900 pads on the '16 Tuono for the street, absolutely love them. Here's a link for the '04 R1 https://www.partsgiant.com/p342431-...rackday-brake-pads?r=mg-25&r=c-23176&f=117687

This is great write up of the SBS RS 900 pads. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/01/05/sbs-brake-pad-test/

There are a lot of good pads to choose from. Just like tires and oil, everybody has varying opinions.