1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brake problems

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wwsuzuki, Apr 9, 2010.

1. wwsuzuki

wwsuzuki Well-Known Member

I have a 2007 gsx-r 750 i having some brake dragging. My front wheel doesnt spin as freely as it should. It feels like my brakes are applied alittle at all times. Ive checked the brake lever doesnt seem to be that. Ive also taken the calpiers off and cleaned the pistons, I didnt take them apart just cleaned what could be seen. It made it slightly better not not where it should be. What else can i do to fix this problem. The brake fluid is alittle old. Ive done about 10 track days and 3 races on the fluid. Brake pads still look in good condition. HELP!

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Could be a number of things. Your rotors could be slightly warped. The calipers could be dirty and making the seals stick a little. Your forks may not be lined up for the axle. How much does it spin when you spin the wheel?

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Did you slide the pistons all the way out to thoroughly clean them. I took them off and used a little compress air to push them out (lay a crescent wrench in the channel in the middle there so they don't pop all the way out). It's ALOT easier to push them back in after cleaning if they aren't still on and pushing against the fluid pressure. Besides, its a good time to replace the fluid as well. While you have the calipers off spin the wheel and take a good close look at the rotor to see if you can detect any warpage.

I have my old K5 calipers here next to the R6's I replaced them with, but you can see how I fully exposed the pistons to clean then thoroughly since there was still some dirt further down the piston on the left

[​IMG]

4. wwsuzuki

I probably didn't push the pistons out as far as the ones in the pics. Ill try that again. I did take one calpier off at a time and spin the wheel. With one off it spun better but it still had some drag. I have two sets of wheels and both of them do the same. So I don't think its the rotors. I also took both rotors off and the wheel spun perfect. I just had my forks reworked by ohlins and put the 25mm kit in so I think my forks are linned up. I'm hoping its just old fluid not letting the pistons retrack. The wheel doesn't spin a whole rotation when I spin it.

5. Southpaw

Southpaw Well-Known Member

Here's a stupid question, I did this one time. But did you check to see if you over tightened the axle? That will definitely keep the front wheel from spinning freely.

6. wwsuzuki

Yea I've even went as far as loosen it all the way up to see if that was it.

7. F. Richard Head

F. Richard Head Davie's "Daddy"

If you ever tighten an axle to the point that it causes the wheel to bind, you've damaged the bearings and should replace them.

Just a point of reference...

My '03 750 has notable front brake drag. With a good hard spin, I get about 1 revolution before it stops. It improves slightly when the brakes are good and hot. I've completely disassembled the calipers, cleaned, etc. I even replaced the calipers with another used set following disassembly and cleaning. It was a touch better, but not much.

For reference, I run Vesrah RJL, Goodridge stainless lines and RBF600 fluid. The brakes work great, and the drag has never caused a problem. I regard it as normal or at least the nature of the beast.

8. wwsuzuki

If the barrings were messed up would I be able to tell with the calipers off? BC when they are off the wheel spins perfect!

9. F. Richard Head

F. Richard Head Davie's "Daddy"

Probably fine. To check bearings, you remove wheel and rotate bearings with your fingers. They may feel a little tight (sealed bearings are that way), but you shouldn't feel any grinding or catching.

10. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

The important thing is not whether there is slight drag, many bikes have that, the important thing is HOW MUCH. Take the bike out around the block and bring it back. Don't use the front brake, just the rear. Hop off and feel the front rotors. If they are not warm, the brakes are not dragging enough to matter.

11. wwsuzuki

OK, that sounds good! thanks for all the advice!!!!:beer:

12. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

+1! Good idea! :up:

13. busa4

busa4 Well-Known Member

last bike i came across with this problem it was the master cylinder. try flushing out the old brake fluid. if it still drags then replace the master cylinder.

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Have you taken the anti-rattle clips out and placed them neatly in a trash can? Also, make sure that the brake pad pins aren't covered in crud. When it comes to brakes, it's not one thing that makes them work perfectly, it's a bunch of little things.

Oh, and zip ties.

:rolleyes:

15. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Could be fork bind. Could be quad seal memory space.

Like, not clean the machined groove for the quad seal to square back to memory? Pull the piston back to pull away from the disc is puck? WOT the puck go around the blockan shit?

Data is what I said is you said the oil is dirty and where does water go? Straight down into that quad groove. Water heavier than oil? OK :Poke:
    See the white stuff still remains you with the brake clean on the blow off the spray is take it out in the sun and look real good for that white facet sink gunk is crystal an shit.

Forkiss fork ing now we have some axle through a fork? Torque the bolt at one fork with the nut, right? Spin the front wheel and slam on the brakes. Release brake and tighten the pinch bolts on the other forking done!

:cool: That was fun. :Pop: :crackup:

16. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to clean my calipers but have no clue on how to do this. Can someone post a quick how to please or guide me to place where I can get some info?

Also what is the anti-rattle clips? Is that the gold plate that covers the pads? I have seen some bikes with out that and was wondering why people do this.

And sorry for the thread jacking

17. wwsuzuki

Update: replaced all the seals in the calipers and fluid, to find out that its the master cylinder with the problem busa4 you were right! it has something to do with letting the fluid back in. Antor1 - no problem hope you can find help like it did!

18. henrytwin

henrytwin Well-Known Member

antor1, the anti rattle clips can be removed if you are running your bike as a track only/race bike. They are there no only to keep the pads from rattling but to keep some rocks and dirt from getting into your brake when moving slow. If you remove them you might get some better braking as this will allow better air flow through the brake pads. I have a 04 Honda CBR 600RR and the plates are long gone.

19. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

One thing I do is to hold the brake lever down hardish before torquing the brake caliper bolts so the pads are lined up with the rotor because their is some play in the caliper mounting holes.

20. D03Cobra

D03Cobra Active Member

Remove 1 caliper, remove pads, squeeze brake lever till pistons push out far, you might have to put something in there, I use a 3/8 socket wrench and allow my 4 pistons to be equally extracted.

Use a tooth brush and soapy water. I use a spray bottle of water to clean out the soap. Push pistons back in and then once again squeeze lever. All 4 pistons should move at the same time or close to each other. If not keep cleaning or untill you are comfortable they are clean. Put clean caliper back on and then remove the other one and repeat.