1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Fluid

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by randomwalker, Dec 7, 2011.

1. randomwalker

randomwalker Well-Known Member

How often to bleed and refresh front brake fluid? Wondering if it's something that should be done now over the winter. Thanks.

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Start of season, Mid-season, and anytime after a rain event.

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:stupid:

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Lazy bitchs. Every time I leave home to go racing.

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I like mine after each event. I don't take it all apart, but I pu,p 3-4 cups through each caliper. Oh, it only takes 10 minutes or so.

Keeps them nice.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

This

7. randomwalker

randomwalker Well-Known Member

Muchas Gracias!

8. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

+1

9. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Racing - all the time
    Street - when I have left overs from racing :)

10. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Why after a rain event?

11. stickboy274

Brake fluid loves to absorb moisture. That lowers it boiling point and makes it want to expand as it gets hot. Not good.

12. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

yeah... i knew that much... I guess I was just assuming since it's supposed to be a closed system that it **should** keep from absorbing it. I guess you learn something new every day. ;)

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If the little rubber between the cap and fluid is in there properly it is a closed system. Not sure why water would get past it when air can't.

14. ToddClark

it wont get thru the little rubber cap on the res., but it will be absorbed into the system thru the calipers.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It will? Interesting. Never had that happen on any other vehicle :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTW - I don't think changing often is a bad idea. I don't think using rain as a good excuse to change it more is a bad idea. I just disagree with it getting wet because the exterior of a very closed system may encounter some rain.

17. ToddClark

:D If you actually raced a vehicle and had to depend on it bringing you to a stop from 180mph as fast as possible, then you might worry about it. That being said, for a street machine, be it bike or car, its not enuff moisture to worry about. But on a race bike, it can get in there and some people, including a few "experts" recommend bleeding them out after a rain event. Me personally, ive only done it once or twice after a wet race and thats because i had time to kill. I guess i'm slow enough that even if there is a little moisture in my brake lines, its not gonna prevent me from slowing down fast enuff. :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Come on now, the bullshit about me not racing doesn't cut it. I built a bike for a couple years for a racer who was racing against the current AMA Superbike Champion and a past AMA as well as World Champ. He wasn't going slow and his life was in my hands with shit like brakes. I took that more seriously than if it were my own life.

I know some experts say all sorts of silly shit just because it's become "common knowledge". Doesn't really matter if it's true or not :D

Again - I am not saying don't bleed them every weekend, every rain weekend, every day during the weekend if that's what helps you be more comfortable with your machine. Do whatever works for you.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

For me it's a simple as knowing the brakes have been checked and are operating as well as I can make them operate. It's a brain thing for me. I just don't like climbing onto a bike without knowing it's good. The very reason I rarely ride anyone elses bike.

20. stickboy274

:stupid:

Plus with the system hold such a small amount of fluid, it doesn't take much to make it do weird things. Those braided lines don't give much.

Besides, it's easy. I even built a container to do it with. It makes it even easier.