1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brake fade

Discussion in 'General' started by tjr, Aug 1, 2002.

1. tjr

tjr Well-Known Member

I'm getting brake fade after just a few laps on my '02 GSXR 750.
    I've tried bleeding (many times), EBC HH, EBC HH R1 pads, & Vesrah RJL's.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. GSXR123

GSXR123 expert

Try using a scotch-brite pad that works on a drill and scrub the
    hell out of your rotors for about an hour or , just take them and get em glass-beedblasted. (repeat often)

3. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Flush the system and bleed useing a high quality fluid like Castrol SRF.

4. projekt9

projekt9 der Klugscheißer

tjr-

Let me ask you, when you bleed the brakes,
    is there any air in the lines? even a very small amount?
    I ask because, last year our Gsxr 600 had the same problem.
    It would get progressively worse in the ensuing laps.
    Everytime we bled the system, we would purge a very small amount of air. We looked at almost every bit on the braking system,
    but couldn't find any leak, at least not apparent at first.
    We cleaned the rotors, inspected the lines several times and all the connections, replaced all the crush washers, tightend all the connections, rebuilt the calipers, installed a new master cyl.
    ...all for naught.
    We tried almost everything! Except....
    replace one of the brake lines. Unbelievable, but there was a hairline crack, and I mean hairline on the front braided line.
    The lines were only a season old and had never suffered any
    crash damage. weird, but it happens.
    You could only see it with a magnifying glass. It was only after all
    of the above that we decided to go over the entire system with a magnifying glass. So, if your purging any air check all all your lines and connections. If this isn't what you are experiencing...sorry I couldn't be of more help.

5. tjr

tjr Well-Known Member

Thanks projekt9,
    As a matter of fact, I do get a few small bubbles when I bleed the sysytem. I just thought that I hadn't done a good job the last time and that "NOW this succa will stop fading".
    I will try that next.

Thanks

6. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

projekt9,

Will you share with us what brand of brake lines you found a crack in. I have recently had the lever come back further than it should on a '01 GSX-R600, only to work fine later. It would be interesting to see if I have the same lines as you had. Did you switch brands of line after your discovery?

7. john ross

john ross Well-Known Member

...warped rotor maybe....:eek:

8. projekt9

projekt9 der Klugscheißer

Joe,
    I can't remember off hand, but I will go dig through the receipt pile and get back to you.

George

9. bfkidd

bfkidd Well-Known Member

Dead Horse! They all do it. If you find the cure you'll be a rich man.

10. Hyperdynamics

Hyperdynamics Active Member

Here's a lesson learned tuning for expert roadracers. Stock pads come with metal plates behind them. I've seen many many a rider, tuner toss these as being no account. WRONG Those metal " backing plates " act as heat sinks, absorbing heat placed into the pad and keeping it from reaching the piston, which subsequentially cooks your high speed Dot 9 race only brake fluid, cooks your piston O - rings, causes that drag your all trying to eliminate (expansion) and causes the glazing of the pads you refer to as brake fade. Hope this helps. Keep the backing plates and EASE your pads in during practice.