1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brain tease.

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, Dec 12, 2005.

1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I think its due to exessive numbers of brain cells.:D :D

2. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

Don't know....

3. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

Is the wood chuck in the plane or underneath it?

:D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because lift has nothing to do with the plane moving forward so the question boils down to will it move or not, the lift issue is essentially moot. The answer is yes it will move forward, at that point lift will occur etc.

5. fatallightning

fatallightning ghost of the touge

how can it move forward if the speed is always matched by the belt?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

because the speed of the plane and the speed of the wheels are not the same thing. Remember when a plane is airborn the wheel speed is 0. Wheels don't need to turn or even exist for a plane to fly.

7. Smithjeb

Smithjeb Well-Known Member

For the love of god, close this thread --- the answer above is correct. A plane does not gather speed because it's wheels are driving it. It has a big freakin jet (or some other propulsion device) that is pushing it along. The wheels could be turning at the speed of light or not at all - the wheels have no bearing as to if it is flying or not.

Let's say the plane is flying along - if you strapped a conveyor belt to it's wheels they could be spinning away. The plane still flys. The speed at which the wheels are turing has no bearing on anything.

crap...i was trying to avoid posting

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And you wonder why I don't lock it :crackup:

9. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

The speed of the belt does only one thing - it makes the ground pass underneath the plane twice as fast as it would normally. The wheels spin twice as fast a result of this. The speed of the plane is not affected whatsoever. Like I said before, if the plane was flying 10 feet off the ground and then deployed the landing gear, the wheels touch the conveyor belt that moving the same speed of the plane (opposite direction), would the plane suddenly stop?

10. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

I tried this one already, about 1,000,000 pages or so back . . . :)

11. Smithjeb

Smithjeb Well-Known Member

no kidding...78 pages or so, I resisted and resisted but :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

12. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

The people who say the plane will not fly believe that the conveyor has some magical force that cancels out the thrust of the jet's engines.

They need to realize that the conveyor belt is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT!

13. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

If this thread can continue to the point where it has as many posts that started a few days ago as it did when it died previously, IMHO it will officially be The Best Thread Ever.

And no, it doesn't count if Richard shows up and offers free Tire Sox in it :D

(the plane absolutely will fly, btw)

14. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I had no idea what I was starting......:D

15. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

What's the current record for most posts in a thread?

16. wmayfield114

wmayfield114 Well-Known Member

What's the record for the most people who don't know how simple physics works exposed in one thread?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We've hit the non physics record in here I'm sure :D

Most posts is probably still Hamburger/Cheeseburger.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For the record Mr Mayfield - where do you stand? :D

19. porkyb

porkyb Chasing LWT Twins

the count is still going up...LOL....:beer:

20. wmayfield114

wmayfield114 Well-Known Member

Plane takes off like HRC conspiracy theories....nothing could stop it!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006