1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brad Burns- AMA - DQ'd for cheating

Discussion in 'General' started by birdie56, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I'll take the top 5 post tech. I wish WERA did this.

Terrance yells at me all the time so I'm scared to cheat.

I prefer to go fast on poop.

2. r677

r677 Active Member

Christ, some of you guys act like brad f***ed your mothers. Its not that big of a deal. I actually think its a little funny. And he obviously paid for it for getting dq,ed and not racing the entire weekend. smokey yunick got entered into the automotive hall of fame and was the biggest cheater ever. One Of the best crew chiefs in nascar. He was caught putting basketballs in fuel tanks and inflating them when they checked tank capacity at tech. Then deflating them back at the pits to be able to carry more fuel. Hilarious.

3. Really? Tell that to the guys who's contingency money he took cheating (if indeed he was at club races).

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Smokey played the grey area of rules, not out right cheating MOST OF THE TIME. Running a 750 against 600's is outright cheating. That is against the letter of the rule. Smokey often broke the spirit of the rule. There is a difference.

5. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I'd laugh my ass off if anyone ever protested you. Only thing they'd find is a dude running OEM rearsets in SB :crackup:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  6. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

And T - thanks for the insight. Makes sense how it came about if the original motor blew up @ Summit.

Though I gotta say I never felt comfortable with the 'everybody's doing it, so go ahead' philosophy. Hell, I've lost count of the number of times dudes have told me to run SS to get more bikes on the grid - but even if I came in last place, I'd feel like a cheater. So I don't.

7. Oh shit :crackup:

I gotta admit though, when i read his post i was like "i don't know wtf he is talking about, but the name is cool". :D

8. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

So most of the time makes it ok! LMAO

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

My two favorites out of "The Best Damn Garage In Town" were the 9/10ths car and the 30' of 3-1/2" fuel line!

:clap:

Smokey CAUSED way more rules than he broke.

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

And what would they do in post tech? Tear down your motor and show that you had a cheater crank?

11. Handicapped Racer

there in lies the problem, to most they are just threats so no one take the rules seriously. Might as well call it the suggestion book

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That would seem to be it in a nutshell. Someone is shocked that there is no honor among thieves.

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

this is a ridiculous comparison ... The blatant rule infraction, and the mindset that you would need to run a 750cc motor in a 600cc class, goes way beyond some of the trickery and "clever" stuff that went on/goes on in nascar.
    Also, your comparing a crew chief to the RIDER. The rider knew this was going on (it would be difficult to convince me otherwise), yet still lined up and raced against his fellow racers.

:Poke:

14. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Those are great. One that bears mentioning is when he got protested for fuel capacity in Daytona. After the race, he had been awarded a placing finish, but they (NASCAR) were not ready to let it go & were looking for a fuel capacity infraction. Car was up on a set of ramps with the tank out, fuel lines dangling. It had been hours. Track was deserted save for him & the tech guys. When he finally lost his patience, he started it up, drove off the ramps & back to his shop. Said that they would have never found it & that he still had many miles of fuel in the car.

Also, the external mounted alternator with a fan blade mounted to the shaft.

15. r677

r677 Active Member

It wasnt like he was out there with a 140 hp built 750 motor dominating the field. It was a clapped out stock motor that couldnt even break 100hp. Cheating, yes. Advantage over built 600 engines where money isnt an issue. No. Im just saying the situation was kinda funny. He tryed it. Got caught. Didnt get to race. Def not taking contingency out of anyones pocket.

16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Booooourns

17. r677

r677 Active Member

Its not a ridiculous comparison. Extra fuel capacity is a huge advantage in nascar.

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

140 wouldn't even be built, fresh? yea. But couldn't break 100hp? something doesn't sound right. This was discussed pages earlier. it is EASY to reduce power with a switch and going to another map. My 2000 F4 with 18,000 miles made 95hp on pump gas.. Would a 750 that makes under 100hp even RUN? as in how much leakdown would it need to have to make that little power.

I find it FUNNIER, that some are trying to downplay the importance of this issue.

yes, the overall comparison of the cheating that goes on in nascar to a rider sticking a 750 motor to run against 600s is ridiculous.. no, not just ridiculous.. fucking ridiculous.. :)

19. Handicapped Racer

Don't speak for me speak for yourself.

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

So's 150 extra cc's. Doesn't matter if it went unused... clearly from the stories Smokey's extra fuel went unused, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.