1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought my first house, remodel/cabinet advise

Discussion in 'General' started by vdub 2.0, Jan 30, 2018.

1. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

It was defiantly quartz, it's really nice and super durable and the most expensive.

2. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

Quartz?

vdub 2.0 likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Granite and Quartz are relatively the same price, but yeah one is man made and one is from the Earth, and supposedly can give off radon gas.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, granite and quartz are both from the earth...

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

I meant Corian not quartz

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was wondering :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Puff, puff, pass.....

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

:timeforabeer:

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There is a composite "quartz" on the market too.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then it's not quartz :D

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Tell them, I didn't name it.

BigBird and vdub 2.0 like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like the named it composite quartz but dunno.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Quartzite comes in a slab, from the earth.
    Quartz is man made slabs from small pieces of quartz, binders and dyes.

BigBird, neckbrace and 03RumbleBee like this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

only the red colored but for it to be a problem emitter its gona be rare. More background gamma emissions come fron concerete. If anyone needs a granite sample analyzed... no charge if you send me a small piece. :)

BigBird likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I think that was it, but I let mama run that project, so I would have to ask her.

I know it wasn't Corian, because that didn't blow her dress up!!!

16. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

I just ordered quartz counter tops for my kitchen. Mine are "engineered quartz" which is manufactured. There may be some suppliers of big ol' slabs of quartz the same way that marble or granite counter tops are sold. Not sure about that, but mine are definitely man-made. I didn't want to deal with a porous surface

From the brochure: It’s made of 90 to 94 percent ground quartz and 6 to 10 percent resins and pigments that are combined into durable and nonporous slabs. The strength of quartz, even in a manufactured form, makes it naturally resistant to abrasion, scratches, dents, and even acids without the need for sealants.

BigBird likes this.
  17. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Maintenance on quartz will be minimal.
    No need to maintain the surface with sealer a couple times a year like you need to do with natural stone.

Had a client who insisted on using Italian marble for countertops in her kitchen...
    I told her red wine can be problematic if she doesn't stay on top of maintenance schedule...
    She says that's what she wants...so install marble...
    She the proceeds to break a bottle of red wine accidentally and now has a pink cast to her island countertop...

I just think quartz is a better choice over stone...

18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

We have quartz in our new house (new install). It is very nice, but not entirely impervious to staining, though very resistant. Barkeepers friend seems to work well.

Those that think Granite is timeless to style must have a short-lived history. To each their own.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dave will correct me if I am wrong, but I think natural quartz is too crystalline to fabricate into sheets or slabs of sufficient size.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yep. We bought our house in 95 and put in Granite, within 5-10 years. Mama would like to change it at this point, and I agree it is getting a little long in the tooth. But we still have college payments, and need a new car, and our 25th is this year with a probable African Safari, so that kitchen will be waiting a few years.

BigBird likes this.