1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Botham Jean

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Buckwild, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I don’t know. Motor’s black neighbor owns his own business and is apparently doing really well. So, some random old white guy having started an industry prevents anyone else from joining it, how, exactly?

2. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

In the Far East, white males control little. As far as this country, it’s true, white males control most businesses, (whites males are the population majority of the Y chromosome carriers here btw). But, it’s not like other race of males, and or females are denied. There’s no secret club that prevents any person living here from owning and controlling a business. Now, let me ask, what do you want these white business men to do? Are they just to give up and hand the keys to non whites. Or, would it be better for non white males to stop worrying about a false narrative of white privilege and work towards creating their own businesses and successes.

badmoon692008 and Orvis like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's talking more of control of the industries as a whole not individual businesses. Nothing is preventing black peeps from doing well but it does help being born rich for sure and there are more rich white folks in the US than other races.

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Well that is simply a majority issue. And, even then the numbers within the majority is small. The ratio to rich white males vs white males with little is pretty wide.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, totally agree.

If there were truly white privilege Toe and I would both be rich mothers too.

6. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Wait a minute... You're white too?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Darker than Toe but technically yep :D

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Pretty much. Don't know what's so difficult to grasp about it lol.

9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

The “difficult to grasp” part is how a small handful of old white dudes running industries makes the rest of us all privileged.

10. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Too many posts to respond to individually so. . .

I do not subscribe to the theory that “white privilege” is the root cause for holding the majority of non white men back in this country. I do not subscribe to the theory that “white privilege” is solely responsible for white male success.

I’ve literally been surrounded by examples that disprove those "rules" my whole life, starting with my mother and father (mother is white and father is black; and they were doubly fucked during their time working because they were also immigrants and English was far from their first language – if you want to know how difficult of a task that can be, look at FLOTUS, how long she’s been here and objectively rate her English vs perceived intelligence).

I have lived and understand what is involved with privilege. I have also lived and understand what life is without it. I have actually been accused of succeeding because of “minority privilege”; I have been accused of succeeding because of economic privilege. . .so I also understand why it rubs white males the wrong way to insinuate that what they have accomplished is not of their own merit - but because of bias and circumstances they have no control over.

But to say that I did not gain advantages over others because of winning a genetic lottery of being born to my parents and gaining access to privileges I neither earned nor strove for (racially and economically). . .that’s fallacy. . .and I acknowledge that shit.

Even with those “privileges”, the primary lesson from our parents driven into my brother and I since almost birth: “no matter what, you and your brother will have to work twice as hard to hopefully get equal credit. No sense in complaining about it. Work twice as hard”.

Obviously, as a result, I can understand the frustration of some of the parents in here who are currently saying the same thing about their children as a result of being white. What I don’t get is how they think that is reserved only for their children. . .and only because they are white. That’s literally the same exact thing minorities complain about. . .and say is real. . .which most whites in here are now prone to say is false. . .and no longer happens. . .except to whites. . .and only whites. . .which gives the minorities a “privilege”. . .based upon race. . .but there are no other examples for the life of them where they can say the reverse is true. . .

I also get how they think a system that unjustly rewards lower achievement based upon color of skin is bullshit. What I don’t get is the lack of candor of how if our education system was purely merit based, it would be Asians and Indians (non whites) taking the vast majority of the top spots in that system (and a lot of rich kids would be stuck in community college) and nobody seems to be asking why that hasn’t happened to its full extent yet – they’re just assuming all those white kids (even their own) are just kicking the shit out of everybody else that are (at a macro level) objectively better.

That’s some serious denial. . .and there is a certain privilege that is perpetuating that kind of denial.

Does it exist to the extent it did 50 years ago. No. Does that mean it doesn’t still exist? Most arguments on here are from a personal level; ie “because I am white and did not benefit from this ‘white privilege’ - therefore it does not exist.” So, by that logic, the standard now becomes what is personally relevant to you. Well, most on here have not grown up with economic privilege. . .so tell me, how do they know it exists and what exactly is involved with all this economic privilege you speak of?

Orvis likes this.
  11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

You’re not honestly trying to equate perceived racial privilege with actual economic privilege, are you? Racial privilege is this intangible boogeyman that has yet to be legitimately defined/proven. That’s why so many question it. Economic privilege is easily demonstrated and proven. My stepdad is a multi-millionaire many times over after building a very successful business. My stepsister doesn’t have to work a day in her life and doesn’t. While my sister/I certainly reap some benefits off of his financial standing (family lake home), there is unquestionably a different economic privilege between all of us kids that we will never know. I know it exists and can very easily demonstrate what is involved.

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Multimillionaires with lake homes are at the fringes of the bell curve.

A white boy and a black girl, who live next door to one another, and whose dads work side-by-side at a factory, and whose mom's work side-by-side at another factory. Both born on the same day, at the same hospital, both with a younger sibling. Both take the same classes, same courses, at the same schools. Both participate in the same extracurricular activities and both score identical scores on every college entrance exams.

Which has a better chance at getting more scholarships, to more Prominent Universities? Which is probably going to have to settle for community college for the first couple of years?

That, folks, is privilege in the here and now.

sheepofblue and XFBO like this.
  13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

In this day & age in that scenario ... the black kid had the better chance at scholarships and acceptance to more colleges.

cav115 and badmoon692008 like this.
  14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned 'IF' your claim is true, exactly who's fault is it that non-white's haven't applied themselves a little harder?

The answer, IMHO, since the vast majority of non-whites reside in Liberal controlled cesspools is the Liberal politician coddling them, no better way to CONTROL your base than to constantly promise them free stuff and brainwash them into thinking they're treated unfairly.....ie. divide and conquer.

The MJ's, Dr. Dre's and JayZ's laugh at the premise they're controlled by the white man.

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

A view in the macro sense.

https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...th-about-income-inequality-in-america/252892/

As for those of us who did not draw Ivy League parents, "income success" depends more upon the "marshmallow experiment" type thought processes. The capital required for business comes in two forms, sweat and Franklins. And, if you have nothing to start with, you must not only have the stamina and long term vision to start and own a business, but you damn sure better have a great idea too. Sweat equity alone won't get you anywhere. So, intelligence plays a big part too, particularly if you are poor.

Regardless of race, it takes a rather scare person to take those risks and make those investments.

cav115 likes this.
  16. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

No, I’m honestly not. That would be pretty stupid given that I stated in the same post that it does exist. If I’m being really honest, I was using that for two reasons: 1) to point out the stupidity of the argument “because I am white and did not benefit from this ‘white privilege’, therefore it does not exist” 2) it was a conceptual trap (that has nothing to do with intelligence and neither does the first – just because I think it’s a stupid argument does not mean the person(s) using it is/are).

I was betting you were going to answer one of two ways: 1) with examples from your background that show why you know economic privilege exist (stands to reason given your (and others) central premise for why white privilege does not exist is based upon your background of being white and not experiencing it) and 2) that racial privilege is “perceived” (except, of course, in terms of blacks taking places with scholarships and spots at prominent universities).

That sets up the next question which is “have you ever been mistaken for being black as well as white and how often does that happen?”

Unless I’m mistaken (which is definitely a possibility) neither you nor the vast majority on here have experienced being “black” in this country. You’ve experienced white – you’ve experienced privilege – you’ve experienced white and privilege at the same time. . .you’ve experienced white and not privileged. . .and that is your main point (communicated here) as to why you don’t think it exists and why you think that’s a valid position to take (it’s why I like debating on here – there’s a written record of what everybody said).

Which brings me to the question again. Have you experienced being black (not talking about through friends or family members – you specifically? That's the conceptual trap. Because if you haven’t, explain how you know with such certainty what’s involved with it. . .especially since it goes counter to your argument structure and justification about what’s involved with being white? You're honestly taking the position that the only data that exists to show a race based privilege is in regard to people of color?

You literally said:

"Racial privilege is this intangible boogeyman that has yet to be legitimately defined/proven. That’s why so many question it. Economic privilege is easily demonstrated and proven."

Then two posts later

"In this day & age in that scenario ... the black kid had the better chance at scholarships and acceptance to more colleges"

Out of curiosity - why are you applying your standard to only one race, especially when "Racial privilege is this intangible boogeyman that has yet to be legitimately defined/proven."

And just so we’re clear: this is a debate and we have taken opposite sides (about one specific premise) – almost everything else we’re actually in agreement on. . .

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I have obviously never experienced what it’s like to be black in this country. As no black person has ever experienced what it is to be white. That doesn’t mean that I can’t rationally “walk in their shoes”, though. I guess the best way to explain my stance is this ... for white privilege to be legit, it stands to reason that there has to be some sort of systemic blocks in place to push/keep that privilege. The simple fact that there are hundreds of thousands/millions of successful minorities of all types that are living the same or better life as whites would seem to say that either there isn’t such a systemic push in place, or it’s failing ... regularly. I simply don’t believe in such a system. I do fully believe that your “lot in life” in this country is determined by you. I didn’t luck out to be successful. I didn’t have anything handed to me. I came from divorced parents that couldn’t furnish our home for years. (My rich stepdad has only been in the picture for 5 years now after the death of my first, after 22 years) My stepdad was an alcoholic. My dad was a workoholic that was never around (read as single parent household with a working mom) I had the privilege of spending every other weekend driving for 3 hours to see one parent after they divorced when I was 6. Why didn’t I end up a deadbeat loser like my one stepsister? I made my own choices and owned them. I knew what I wanted in life and worked toward it. Same as anyone else can. I didn’t get the magical benefit of being white, outside of simply understanding the general rules of society and learning to live by them to advance ... if one wants to claim that is white privilege.

I didn’t apply my standard to anything in those posts, though. The EEOC and affirmative action programs have applied their standards to that scenario. I was asked to compare a black kid and a white kid. I did so.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Y'all talk too damn much.

MachineR1 and Funkm05 like this.
  19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

:crackup:

We’re solving the world’s problems here. Lol

SGVRider likes this.
  20. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I wonder if all the people wringing their hands over the "we deserve to be equal in all phases of life" are ignoring that the "equality" idea is one of the basic tenets of Communism or if they would recognize that if someone pointed it out to them. There is no equality here or anyplace else on this planet and it's not likely to ever happen. Fairness is not a guaranteed right for anyone.

"White privilege", if that's what some want to call it, only exists because mostly white people (mostly men) were the primary drivers of this successful country to begin with. Eventually, that may change to some extent in the future, but it's not happening now nor should it be forced to. As other ethnically based groups advance in the US they may very well take the lead in our existence. We are members of the human race. All of us. We are not programmed to be equal rather, we want to dominate. That's the way it's always been and it's not likely to change.