1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonding Glass to Metal

Discussion in 'General' started by colin96, Apr 1, 2011.

1. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

My 02 Suburban liftgate window is a bonded hinge to glass setup.

Well one of the hinges has pop'd loose where it bonds to the glass and the window now sits out of whack. I'm sure the other side is under added stress and gonna pop too.

Any body guys here have a recomendation of adhesive to bond the two back together? Like a specific brand! Key is Glass to metal bond.

My 1st attempt was with a 2 part epoxy, thought I did good prep, but result was a FAIL!

May the Almighty BEEB deliver again?

Colin

2. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

how bout rear view mirror adhesive?
    the fit between the hinge metal and the glass has to be pretty close though

3. Racer 23

Racer 23 Well-Known Member

have used 3M structural adhesive for years to attach window channels to door glass. Not sure how the Suburban glass is attached, but if it is in a channel so the bonded part is on both sides of the glass nothing works better.

4. colin96

Unfortunately it is surface bonded, no channel.

But if that stuff will actually bond to glass and dry "hardened", then I will give it a try. Sat morning project.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Call a Safelite Autoglass and see if they have a recommeded adhesive they use or just have them fix it.

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

PM me your address. I can "sample" you a small cartridge of a urethane adhesive we make that has >1000psi bond to steel/Al and breaks standard single pane glass (> 400psi bond).

It should to the trick. Just make sure the surface are very clean, preferably wiped with solvent (acetone, methanol, mineral spirits, etc).

7. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

8. colin96

Pm sent

9. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Thats for 6 cartridges, so its only 23.70 per kit, plus shipping. :D

Thats why we got into adhesives a couple years ago here at work. :D:D

11. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Billy Mays fixed a guys' parachute with Mighty-Mend-It. A window should be no problem. You also get a free book-light.

12. colin96

Is he available for comment, review?

13. wrparrish

wrparrish Well-Known Member

You fellas make anything for a convertible top to the rear window / Canvas to glass?

See people needing something like that all the time, and the closest thing anyone has found on my car forum is 3m weatherstrip adhesive. a sad substitute for a proper product.

14. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

:stupid:

15. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

I have never found anything for conv. top/to glass. gl