1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Board Wisdom: Southwest US Motorcycle Tour

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Been planning a vacation trip and, after weighing all of the factors, one of the final candidates is a motorcycle tour of the Southwest US. In short, the plan would be to fly to Vegas, rent a BMW from Eagleriders there, make a loop down around Arizona and then back through Utah to Vegas. Hoover Dam, Route 66 kitsch, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, etc.

It is one of the few areas of the country that I have very little experience with (which is part of why I want to go!). I was hoping to get a little WERA board wisdom in regards to such a trip, particularly from some helpful local (or at least somebody that goes to that area a lot).

Primary concern is *when* to go. What is a good time of year to have the best riding weather chances? Beyond that, there are about a million scenic things I want to see, but is there something more obscure I shouldn’t miss? A better route? Good places to stay? Good food places?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Death Valley is really cool too.

Issue is of course heat - but if you go when it's nicer you're also limited on daylight.

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You'll have a great time on a trip like that. July and August are HOT in most of those places. I would shoot for early-mid June, or early-mid September.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've done it all multiple times and we always went from late June to mid August and never had any weather issues. We did go to Yosemite late May two years ago and got caught in a monster snow storm.

The route you are describing is an incredible part of our country. I could write a book about our adventures in that area.

To expand on what Richard said above...yes, it is hot in the months I described. To me I'll take 110 out west over 85 in the Ohio Valley any day. But my family is kind of weird; we love extreme heat. We did Death Valley in early August and had a blast. It was 125 the day we hiked to the big dune there; loved every minute of it.

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I know southern Utah quite well. How many days are you planning on for your tour? Vegas to Hoover, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab isn't exactly a quick, direct trip. But it is beautiful country.
    When you come up from Arizona into Monument Valley on your way toward Moab, you will come to a little town called Mexican Hat. Called that because a rock formation looks like a big sombrero. From there leave the main highway and go north on 261. You will get to climb the Moki Dugway, and will probably want to go up and down a few times. Then 261 will T with 95, go east there to 191 and north into Moab. Arches gets really crowded, but you could spend a couple hours in there. Around Moab, head west along the river for a bit for some pretty views. The famous Slick Rock trail is west of town.
    From there is depends on how much time you plan to spend. Going north out of town and dropping into Canyonlands is a treat, but takes time. Going up to 70, west to 15 and south to Vegas is fastest, but least scenic. I would go back south the way you came, head back west on 95 around and up to 24. Take 24 to 12, and wish you had another week to spend on 12. The Hog's back, Boulder Mountain, Calf Creek, Petrified forest, Kodachrome, Bryce Canyon, Red Canyon. Then go south on 89 to Mt. Carmel, then east on 9 across and past Zion. Meet back up with 15 and south to Vegas.

But that all depends on your time. You could spend weeks in that area and still wish you had more time. The area is full of scenery you won't see anywhere else.

BigBird likes this.
  6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Pics arent loading.

ungwaha likes this.
  7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Your itinerary almost doesn't matter if you're not picky about where you sleep. There's so much scenery and so many great rides that you can make zero plans and still have a great trip.

Is this a solo mission or is there someone coming along to ruin your fun? :D

8. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Good information coming in! I'm tentatively planning on two weeks from home doorstep and back. So, need to allow for travel time from Florida, and a few days here and there to get off of the bike for a while (maybe in Vegas). While I can stand some heat (being a Florida-type), we will be riding two-up on a faired bike, and are "all the gear all the time" folks, so would like to stay away from 100+ temps. I've done that before in California (and been in Vegas when it was 115 but not riding) and don't know how much fun I could stand at those temps.

I had planned out a detailed route years ago (but never went), so will be looking at roads, ride miles per day, etc. soon. Just trying to get some information to fill in the blanks. Again, this will be my wife and I riding two-up. Experienced tourers, so pretty good at knowing what we have a comfort level for road/distance-wise.

9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You could spend years in UT and not scratch the surface. Hwy 12 is probably the best in the US for my money.

You should prioritize what you want. Taking anyone or alone? Highway? Dirt? Dirt and highway? Hike or no? Mountain bike? (Monte - STT guy on this board, can put you on a dandy mtn. bike day ride). I've found that the deeper that you dig, the better gold you find, my man. Awesome cannot describe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

11. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Did Texas-New Mexico-Arizona-Utah-Colorado-flat shit a few years ago. Was a fantastic trip, words cannot describe. Northern New Mex and Southern Utah is the truth. I wish we had dialed in more time to stay in that area and explore. I'm sure you're be scouring maps finding your route, so my only advice is to make sure you have plenty of fuel and plan for the unexpected. I did my trip in mid September, and it was crazy hot in New Mex and Utah by noon. What really surprised me, having never been there, is that there is NO cover in a lot of areas. If you break down, you had better be hydrated because you aint getting out of the sun for awhile.

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I just realized I said the Slick Rock trail was west of town, it is east.
    Highway 12 is one of those jewels that used to be a better kept secret. I have spent decades hiking, backpacking, MTB, motorcycling on and off road in southern Utah and can still find side roads, still haven't been on every trail. But at the very least, just riding/driving 12 without stopping is worth the trip. But you will want to stop. Multiple times. And 12/24/95 makes for a killer trifecta.
    And the Moki Dugway is something you won't ever forget. Hit up YouTube for what it is like.

And yeah, very exposed and very remote.

Kodachrome Basin looks like Radiator Springs, and you get to camp at the base of this:
    [​IMG]

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yeah, and if you do Moki, you will ride right by Goosenecks SP. Plus, you won't find a better camp than at the top of Moki, on Muley Pt. Then, onward to Natural Bridges and Great Sand Dunes....they are not to be missed.

14. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Consider a GS if available? All day comfortable, more air, and you have more options off-road out there?

15. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I know a lot of the pretty scenery is off the road, but this will strictly be a two-up pavement trip on a sport-tourey bike (as close as I can get anyhow). Maybe I'll come back later, pick an area and explore it in greater detail. But, seeing as I've never been there, I imagine there will be plenty for me to see from the paved stuff for a first trip.

Sounds like lots of folks had great experiences (and I hope I do too!). What about things/places to avoid? I'm trying to avoid being on the side of the road, out of gas and water, all to find "the worlds biggest tumbleweed" exhibit that sounded sooo good on the web, but actually isn't there any more...:p

For example, are there cool stops to make a short jaunt down old route 66 worthwhile? I see things in pictures, but can't place them all as to location.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I might consider a GS. Never planned to go off road, but maybe a dirt road or two. Never really warmed up to the whole "adventurer tourer" genre, but you do present some good practical reasons to consider one. Height is a concern. I have long enough legs, but it makes it tough for the passenger.

I also don't want to be "that guy" trying to look like a Dakar vet wobbling around on one.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evelyne is stubby and no longer super young - no issues on the Multi.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Thanks for all the details, exactly what I was looking for (and remarkably quick). I'll try to cobble some sort of route out of these suggestions and run it past you!

19. rd400racer

The only town that sticks out to avoid is Blanding, Utah. It fit its name...bland. Other than that mostly cool little towns along the way. There is a totally neato kiva you can stay in at Torrey , Utah and it was fairly cheap for the night.

Gratuitous pic of my wife in The Wave...

[​IMG]

And the family hiking in the canyons around Page, AZ (where they filmed Broken Arrow)

[​IMG]

20. rd400racer

Here's a link to the Torrey Kiva. Head up to Escalante then Torrey. Hang out at Torrey for the evening then go to Capitol Reef the next day as you head to southeastern Utah. Then you can come back through Monument Valley etc.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio...669800-Capitol_Reef_Inn_Cafe-Torrey_Utah.html

Like others have said, it's impossible to see everything in a couple of weeks so plan a section at a time. We've gone out over a 10+ year timeframe and still have much to see. But it's all good