1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW R75 Racers??

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Boltos, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Boltos

Boltos Well-Known Member

I'm looking for other BMW racers to bounce some modification ideas off of, looking for those with more time/experience. I am aware that Mark Mitchell would be one and looking for others too...

I was active in racing a BMW R75/5 in AHRMA Historic Production Class for '04. My only WERA race would have been at the start of the season/Jennings, FL in conjunction with AHRMA, but....I spun a rod bearing in practice that day and couldn't race.

I am preparing the bike for BEARS class for '05, and maybe do a few WERA V3 races.

Brian Sawyer

2. RB

RB Well-Known Member

I have the magazine articles on the Udo Geitl / Reg Pridmore BMW's. $10.00 each + shipping.
    PM if interested
    RB

3. krodaddy

krodaddy Well-Known Member

What do you want to know ?

4. Boltos

Boltos Well-Known Member

Well, I have been trying to find a viable alternative to the stock mufflers, something that actually adds a small bit of power and doesn't change the power band adversly...any suggestions?

I have a front end off an older Yamaha TX750 I am looking to graft on the the R75 for the use of a single disc brake, any idea if it's worth going to a Grimeca caliper ($150) and Brembo master cyclinder($115)?

I wanted to replace the Bing carbs with Mikunis, would that be 34 mm or 36 mm?

Any preference in clip-ons...Vortex, Pro-Flo, or Woodcraft?

Any sources for rear sets for this bike?

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.

5. Vintage Bling

Vintage Bling Well-Known Member

Hey Brian, Brad Phillips here. I dont know anything about the yamaha front end but it might be easier to just use the bmw /6 single disk front end. I use it on my 750 and it works good. I use a brembo bar mounted master cylinder with a stainless braided line. You can get the master and ferodo platnium pads from vintage brake. I use Pro-flo clip-ons I really like them and they are a sponser off ahrma roadracing. I'll think about your other questins and let you know somthing. Brad

6. krodaddy

7. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

If you use the TX front end I think it is a 35mm unit, if so you with the possability of a little dampening rod mod you can drop Race Tech RZ350 emulators in them, that with a proper set of springs and you should have a dandy front end set up, the caliper is worth the $ the master cylinder is a good idea, would give you a spot on brake setup.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  8. Boltos

Boltos Well-Known Member

Brad...I sent you a PM about our previous conversation about cartidge emulators and BMW forks.

Thanks

9. Boltos

Boltos Well-Known Member

Krodaddy's proposal to use JC Whitney "Dunstall" mufflers is certainly and economical solution and quite unusual when you consider after market BMW part$$. How about the reverse megaphone Norton peashooter mufflers, any experience with those. I know Epco sells a set, that I'd like to know if anyone tried?? ...and there is a set on the JC Whitney website.

How about fairings...anything classic or recommended for front and rear fairings that are required in BEARS. I've seen some Dustall style front fairings from Glass from the Past that would be a nice installation.

Headwork....any recommendations for a shop or person to do some race mods on my R75 heads?

Since I already have the TX750 front forks, I would like to look further into how much work this conversion would be. The Race Tech RZ350 emulators installation suggested by Yamaha Fan, sounds pretty trick!

Thanks in advance.

10. Yamaha Fan

You can get the emulators from Lyn Garland (Yamaha179 on here)
    at Vintage specialties 770-775-3249, you need to confirm that your tx front end is 35mm, you can get springs for the 35mm, you will need 27x340xat least .9 for the weight of your bike, PM me and I can refer you to a source for them. you need to check your dampening rods to see if they are the "capped" style or the open style, if they are the open style, just follow the RZ installation insturctions and the emulators will drop right in, you just need to cut pvc spacers for the proper pre-load on the springs and your off!

11. Boltos

Boltos Well-Known Member

Yamaha Fan:
    I'm pretty sure the TX750 front end is 36mm. I just checked it with an analog set of American dial calipers and got 1.415 inches x 25.4 = 35.94mm. So does that rule me out of RZ350 emulators or is there another alternative.

Thanks in advance.

12. Yamaha Fan

No, check the inside diameter, they may be the same as the 35's just thicker walled tubes for the heavier bike. I can check the ID on the 35's I have to compare them.

13. krodaddy

Boltos, check your PMs

14. Boltos

Boltos Well-Known Member

One more item...looking for recommendations for cylinder head modifications. I was going to dual plug the heads, replace the valves seats and springs,....but do you think larger intake valves would be the way to go, especially if I am considering running the 750 bored out to 890cc to run AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight, which allows such bore increase?

TIA

15. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I have a pair of reverse cone megaphones for an R75 that I had made at Aircone. I decided not to use them due to the dB limits. You can have them for $100.

I thought they were a Mark Mitchell design, but he says he never gave me prints...maybe Mad Doctor Burke's design?

16. Boltos

Boltos Well-Known Member

Mufflers

Please email me pictures of them if you would. I've left an email address in a private message to you.
    Thanks

17. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

PM sent

18. Vintage Bling

Vintage Bling Well-Known Member

Brian did you get my email with the pics? thanks brad