1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW pulling out of WSB *BOOM*

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Pushing too hard, or riding too soft, or a bad setup, or bad tire choice, etc etc...there are a million things that cause crashes....and they are all physical. Im not saying that there isn't a mental aspect to sports, because of course there is. Somebody can get way too excited and ride over their head or over the ability of the equipment....which can lead to a crash, so on and so forth.

I remember a press conference when Howard was still with the Magic, the coach was up there answering questions after a loss and the reporter asked if he thought Howard missed too many free throws because of his contract being up at the end of the year. The coach was like "What? No. Where do you guys come up with this? Why are you always looking for some dramatic, psychological twist to put on things? Howard missed too many free throws because he is a shit free throw shooter (they bleeped out the "shit")...plan and simple".

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Laconi himself said that he choked under the pressure that weekend. You're going to argue with him based on your world championship experience? Who do you think you are, Mr. sunshine?

3. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You mean like these?

Why do you think that the too hard layup or the too much brake pressure happened?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/670865-power-ranking-the-top-50-worst-chokes-in-sports-history

5. Im not arguing with him. Unless he is using your screen name. For fucks sake, im not even arguing with you. If anything you are agreeing with the last post I made.

I said you can get excited (or feel pressure, if you will) and ride over your head and crash. Mr. Laconi is a perfect example. But the pressure didn't make him crash, too much brake or throttle input made him crash.

I am referring to the psychological twist people like to put on things, just like the basketball example I gave. He didn't miss free throws because his contract is running out in 9 months, he missed free throws because he fucking sucks at free throws.

Kobe didn't miss a layup at the end of the game because he cheated on his wife the year before (as was asked by a reporter when that scandal was going on). He missed it because he fucked up. He didn't drive to the hole, jump in the air, and then think "I cheated on my wife last year" and boom, missed the layup. He just fucked up.

As far as the original post in this particular discussion, it was about Melandri choking for 4 complete weekends. I find it highly unlikely that a rider with his experience would choke for 3 out of 4 weekends. He might have made a mistake in a particular corner, and crashed. But he wasn't in some magical state of choking for 2 months.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

With Chaotic's attention span he only saw the word Regis and thought you meant Philbin, he's probably wondering how long ago it was he raced motorcycles.

7. :rolleyes:

You are missing the fucking point. I never said nobody has ever choked. Of course feeling pressure and choking is a part of sports. There is a big difference between feeling the pressure of a situation and doing something abnormal (like tensing up, or riding too fast, or not being smooth, or throwing too hard, or not following through, etc)....and messing up in a game because you cheated on your wife a year ago.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  8. It couldn't have been that long ago that Laconi retired, because I have seen him race. While everybody has slowly but surely been talking shit about my lack of experience...years have slowly but surely been passing. So im not that new to it anymore. :D

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Here's the rub: he did not crash. He was so afraid of crashing that he rode well under the kind of speed he was capable of. As a result, he could not keep up with Toseland even though he had been the faster one during the whole season. The only reason the championship had come down to the final round was because Laconi had crashed too many times during the year. Hence his state of mind going into the final round at home.

Now, you could keep going with "not enough throttle slowed him down," or you could come to the realization that this hasn't been a good line of reasoning for you and quietly slide the right side. :D

10. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

PMooney...Is this "local store" you describe an "IGA"? LOL!!

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Is it sad that I saw this setup coming from roughly 4000 miles away?

I was saying to myself, "let it go Broome, let it go"

And WHAMMO!

12. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

wow, did not see that coming.

13. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

THAT is a BOOM. It's going to be a privateer class.

14. I didn't know the situation you were talking about. You said he choked, so I assumed it was a crash. My bad. But again, he succumbed to the pressure of the moment...so he choked. There is a big difference between that, and some reporter asking him if he lost the race because he was still mourning over the loss of his dog from 2 years ago or some shit like that.

15. With the rules changes, it is probably a smart move for BMW. They know in STK form, they have the most competitive bike (right with the Panigale and ZX). So, why dump Factory money into a WSBK effort when it isn't necessary?

Teams who aren't obligated to run a particular brand will chose the BMW because it is one of/the most competitive bike in STK form. So all BMW has to do is offer a little "support" and still have bikes running at the sharp end of the field, and get all of the recognition/exposure that comes with that. And they will save a ton of cash and attention to put elsewhere.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So you're saying I was close? :D

17. :crackup:

Not really. I have heard of him, and seen him race. I just wasn't familiar with the choking incident. :D

18. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Mongo is the only mod that consistently shows us any love here on the BBS. We love you man!
    Dave, you and Papa occasionally loose your tempers with us followers.
    The beeb must be a kind and soothing experience, especially for those of us that are sensitive and easily crushed by an unkind word...

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Morris, when did you turn into a wuss puss? :D

20. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Never thought of that from that angle, but it makes perfect damn sense.

I've never purchased a brand new bike/car in my life, but damn I'd be tempted as hell not to buy a S600rr if they ever made one.