1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluetooth Headsets/Headphones

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jan 30, 2017.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I have never considered a Bluetooth headset or headphones, but am considering it now as I find myself on the phone a lot more and would like to have both hands free to type and continue working while still on the phone. What are some good options that could serve as both a headset and decent sound to listen to music while running or watching a movie while flying?

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I have sound Pert Ear Buds.... Work great

3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I recently bought a set of Jaybird Ads....check them out

4. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Not to thread jack, but I am also looking for a set, but ones that are waterproof/water resistant. I don't need BT ear buds that seal out water like for swimming/ swimming ear plugs, just something to wear while sea kayak or surfski training on mainly flat water that won't be junk if I have the occasional quick capsize that will still be comfortable 3 hours in.

EDIT- I do see that the Jaybirds are sweat resistant, but are not recommended for immersion (despite someone noting they washed theirs twice by accident without issue), but I would still be interested in referrals. I did look through Amazon, but all waterproof ones had some very strong negative reviews when it came to sound quality, battery life, recharging, etc, even if the negative reviews were somewhat in the minority of opinions.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Question:

Do you want the little "Secret Service" headset or the "You want fries with that?" headset?

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

DrA5 likes this.
  7. omatter34

Not "fries with that" :D

Sabre699 likes this.
  8. omatter34

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Plantronics Legend. Great sound, and great warranty. Buy it at Walmart, get the extended warranty. That covers two years. Mine started messing up with three months left on the warranty. One call, printed off the email with the UPS label, and they sent a Walmart gift card for the full amount as soon as shipping was confirmed.

But I replaced it with a fries headset. The little ear piece worked great, but I was always afraid it was going to fall out and I wouldn't notice in time.

From my experience, once you use a headset, you will hate not using it.

418 likes this.
  10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Yep. Four buttons- power; volume up/down; pause music/mute call; and pick up/hang up phone call. I use them when I'm working from home and listening to music, then just tap the right button to pick up incoming calls. They are pretty comfortable and easy to use. Costco had them for $55, I should have bought two pairs. A nice feature is that the headphones remind you every couple of minutes that you are on mute.

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I have a Sena setup. Works great but you'll have to wear your helmet all day.

Phl218, TSC_113 and omatter34 like this.
  12. DrA5

Description does say waterproof and sweat proof. These are at the top of my list now, thanks. 4/5 rating with 4700 reviews, yeah, that's a pretty good indication that they should be good.

13. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I hate auto correct......it was supposed to read......Jaybird X3's.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I bought the highly recommended Jaybird X2's last year I think when we last had one of these BT ear bud discussions. I went with those because a lot of people seemed to think that work best while exercising, I wanted a pair that I wouldn't have to fuss with while mtb'ing.....Well, I'm beginning to think I have troublesome ear canals cuz these fvckers are 'fussproof' either.....just sharing my 2 cents...lol

But they DO work very well....compared to the crap older Plantronics I had that always seemed to lose connectivity while listening to music.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I don't understand bluetooth headsets. The ones that look like a Jetsons collar and people walk around talking and you think they're saying something to you but instead they're talking into the collar?

[​IMG]

V5 Racer likes this.
  16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

^^^ those are what mine look like..

17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

If you have an iPhone the new air pods are pretty bad ass. Got the wife a set and she loves them. Phone calls are crystal clear and great battery life too. You can use just one if you want too.

18. DrA5

Tech goddess Kim Kommando loves the air pods and says they stay in place very well with Athletic activity.

19. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I've got several bluetooth headsets. They serve different purposes.

I have one of these for office work

[​IMG]

It's perfect for talking on the phone while my hands are free. One thing people don't think about with phone conversations is that the equalization of a normal telephone earpiece is optimized towards human speech. When you try to use a high quality audiophile headset to hold a phone conversation it is slightly more difficult to understand what the other person is saying. The slightly tinny sound of a narrow band speaker actually makes it easier to hear human speech.

I also have one of the "Jetson" collars Steeltoe mentioned above. It's much better for listening to music but it's only so-so for phone conversations. I vastly prefer the "fries with that" headset for work.

20. blake

blake Well-Known Member

Jaybirds are pretty good. I put mine through hell(running, cycling, gym, etc.) for about a year and a half. They didn't start giving me problems until I got caught out in some heavy rain one day. They still work, just can't sweat much or they won't connect to my phone.