1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown R6 motor

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nk140, Aug 24, 2017.

1. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

I have a blown 08 R6 SS motor. A rod went through the front. What can I expect damage wise internally? I know it is a very vague question, but I wanted to know from others experience what is not worth saving after such a spectacular blow up. I assume that crank is probably toast.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would suspect, transmission, water pump and clutch are good. Good chance the head has some bent valves.

TurboBlew and nk140 like this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the big end of the rod let go? Which 1?

Stator/rotor is probably good. :D
    Cams...lol

4. Get a new motor.

5. I would throw it in the garbage. Crank is toast. Block is toast. Head is toast. Debris everywhere. Thats what I do anyways for mine and customers bikes.

emry likes this.
  6. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

New motor is being purchased tomorrow. I just wanted to see if I could salvage anything. Looks like possibly clutch, transmission, stator and that is about it. I will take it apart just to have fun with it before taking it to the salvage yard.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If it's the number three rod, it often shreds the clutch.

8. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

Looks to be that rod...damn. Will the clutch shredding be obvious?

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yes. The broken rod saws through the basket. Doesn't always happen, but if it does, it's ugly.

nk140 likes this.
  10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the crank may be fine if the big end stayed on the crank journal. if the big end cap came off, or broke, it would need repaired.. but can buy good used one for $200+- usually.
    The starter may be junk (not sure which direction 1-4 are) but the crank may have punched the rod upward after it broke and put holes in it.
    Trans may be just fine. depends ..
    If the piston stayed up at TDC, the head is likely junk. The valves try to come down, hits piston in the way, bends em and if they break off then it gets real ugly.
    The valves may LOOK fine, but won't know until you pull em and rotate em.

Be happy it's a ss motor. I had a rod bolt break on a carrillo rod (re-torqued too many times as it was refreshed multiple times) and the valve bucket cracked when cam tried to push the bucket down. Cracked bucket tore up the bore as the cam lobe did push it downward some. NObody would touch redoing bucket bores.

as many eluded too. gonna not know till you pull apart. i wouldn't throw the whole thing in the salvage bin .. keep those spares. crank, water pump, head (if good)

nk140 likes this.
  11. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the advice for what to do and look for. I will post pictures as it comes apart in the coming days/weeks. The shitty thing is this happened on the first day i rode the bike after purchase.

12. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

Another question. How do i know if the bike has a kit ECU or not? I have the original build sheet from the seller want to confirm what I have.

13. MELK-MAN

in most cases, a kit ecu will be reading temp in C on the dash, not F or in speed/mph .. and pretty sure the little rectangle sticker on the ecu will be "denso" if oem, and "yec" if yec.

14. MELK-MAN

been running same bikes since 09, but even then, they were raced hard by fast guys.. and i wouldn't even go on track without tearing down the motor. I knew what i was getting though, time on motor was disclosed, price reflected the fact the motor was due for refresh, and they were good dudes.

if it's a reputable seller, and he can confirm it was a very recent build they can document ? maybe run it .. but even then, would need to scrutinize what was replaced.

15. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Give it your kids to play with :)

16. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

I hate you :)

17. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Artificial reef if you are near a coast. Bonfire base material if you are inland, but it has to be a big fire. Makes good wall art once it cools.

metricdevilmoto and MELK-MAN like this.