1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black walnut harvesting

Discussion in 'General' started by fastedyamaha, Sep 20, 2021.

1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

So I have a huge black walnut tree in my backyard. I’ve never done anything with the fallen fruit before, either let the squirrels eat them or just mow them. Thinking about collecting them this year. Is it worth doing all the work to harvest the meat from the shell? TIA!

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Wear gloves.

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Sure, do it once..... I've got a big black walnut in my front yard. We harvested a bunch back when we first moved in 11 years ago, but never since. I let the squirrels have them now. I'd rather eat the squirrels :D. Occasionally one of their buried nuts sprouts, and I'll dig it up and transplant it to the backyard. I've got 8 now in a row across the backyard, and this is the first year some of those ones are dropping nuts.

I should try it again. I can't even remember what they tasted like, but obviously didn't like them much. I do remember it being a messy pain in the butt though.

4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I just had some black walnut bitters with some bourbon and cherries on Friday. Twas delicious.

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Black walnuts are very tasty. However the mess, effort and small yield are nowhere near worth it.
    As others with experience have noted, don't bother.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

Tap the tree for sap and make syrup..its really really good.. You'll need a LOT! It tastes very similar to maple.

7. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

There are truffles that can grow under pecan, walnut and hickory trees in the right circumstances. So yes, you can get a fungus under your tree near your nuts. Both the nuts and fungus are tasty if the effort is made.

8. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Buddy of mine started doing that. I believe he said it takes something like 10x the sap to get the same amount as maple. Have some in the fridge. Very tasty

joec and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Glad this wasn't quoted out of context

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Bruce and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

We had two huge black walnut trees in the yard when I was a kid and Dad used to make me go out and pick them all up. I hated those dirty ass things. We're talking multiple Rubbermaid trash cans full. One day some hillbilly types saw me "harvesting" them and asked if they could have them. I told them if they pick them up, they can have every last one this year, next year and the rest of my life.
    Walked inside and Dad said, "that was fast." I told him I subcontracted the work and he looked outside to see my "contractors." He at that moment I think realized he had a negotiator on his hands. I was maybe 13.
    Hated those things.

2Fer likes this.
  11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly